The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 20, 2009, 05:31 PM   #1
blackhawk5

TC Encore Iron Sight Removal

I recently purchased a TC Encore 12 SS revolver barrel. It has iron sights which I'd like to remove in order to install a dot reticle sight. Can someone tell me how to remove the adjustable rear sight without damaging it? I think that the front sight can be removed with a brass drift pin and hammer, but I'm not sure about the rear sight. Thanks for any help.
Old November 20, 2009, 05:49 PM   #2
troy_mclure

most t/c sights are screw on base.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 20, 2009, 06:30 PM   #3
thallub

Hold down on the elevator with a finger. You can feel the resistance of the spring. You do not want this spring to go flying and be lost. While continuing to hold the elevator down, turn the elevation screw counter-clockwise (UP) until the screw comes out of the sight base. When the screw is out all the way the elevator is released. Flip the elevator over and remove the two screws from the sight base.
Old November 22, 2009, 09:05 AM   #4
buymore

I'm more interested in his "revolver barrel" I'd like to have one of those for my Encore! Sorry, I had to kid you on that one.
Old November 24, 2009, 08:36 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW - EVERY factory-fresh T/C that I've had to remove the sights on, since 1968, must have had the screws driven in with a power driver or Godzilla - because they were a real PITA to break loose.

I had to do them via clamping the gun in a machinist's vise, while a hex-shank driver bit was forced down in a drill press with a wrench turning the driver bit at the same time.