The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Smaug

I think I've got too much scope for my handgun use (4X)

Some of you may have mentioned it to me before.

I got the Redhawk back from Ruger after they replaced the barrel. (it broke off due to a manufacturing defect)

I re-mounted the scope and went to the 25 yd. handgun range to zero it. The shakiness of the extra magnification doesn't bother me. I like that resolution it gives.

What does bother me is having to get my eye aligned just so in order to even get a sight picture.

I need to downgrade to a 2X scope, red dot, or just remove it and use the old irons. Scopes still seem like an advantage for shots from a rest. For close shots, I'm not so sure any more.

Anyone ever missed a shot on a deer because you couldn't get the sight picture quickly enough?

Mine's a Leupold M8-4X EER, gloss black.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old November 20, 2008, 01:50 PM   #2
freakintoguns

only scopes ive ever used while actaully shooting have been a Aimpoint, but having looked thru scopes at Sportsmanwarehouse and wally world ive noticed the same thing. id much rather havea nice big FOV then magnafaction
Old November 20, 2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'd go with a 2.5-7 (or something like that).
I have more trouble with iron sights simply because every gun I've owned since I was 7 years old has been scoped. It's absolutely natural for me so I have no trouble. In fact, I switched to a red dot variety for 1 day. It was 0 mag so it was essentially the same as open sights to me. Couldn't get myself to pull the trigger because I'm so used to shooting at precise points.
Old November 20, 2008, 02:25 PM   #4
aaalaska

Shooting a scoped handgun usually requires some getting used to, but if you have the time and do the practice in a short time most shooters I've been with really prefer scopes. 4X should not be to much, but a variable might make the learning curve easier.Alex
Old November 21, 2008, 06:07 AM   #5
bswiv

Unless you NEED the magnification a regular scope provides a Red Dot of some sort is the ticket. I've used a number of revolvers and a couple of T-C Contenders over the years on deer and hogs here in Fl.

The current T-C has a EER Leupold on it. It's a 2X. It's almost as easy to use as the Red Dot and a tiny bit more precise.

With that said I find that the Red Dots are faster and for our close work, almost always 25 yards or less, it is great. In fact I just bought one of the Aimpoint Micros, about 2 ounces!, and I'm going to swap out the scope on it.
Old November 21, 2008, 06:14 AM   #6
roklok

I have a leupold 2x on an Encore pistol. It seems to me, and a few of my buddys, that it actually makes things look farther away than they are. A few years ago, I had a deer about 40 yards from me in some thick brush that I could see with naked eye but just could not pick it out through scope. Have been wishing that I would have bought a 4 power.
Old November 21, 2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Scorch

Unless you are using the handgun exclusively for target shooting from Creedmore or off a bench, 4X will be almost impossible to hold steady and will interfere with target acquisition. A 1.5X or 2X is ample for hunting or field use. Red dots work well but are bulky. You can also mount a reflex sight on the firearm, and have the lightest option available.
Old November 21, 2008, 02:14 PM   #8
LHB1

Smaug,
I had problems with both the magnification wobbles AND the critical eye alignment on 4X handgun scopes. Switching to the 2X EER Leupold worked for me. Gives me a good sight picture, lets me see the target sharply, and are MUCH easier to align the eye/pick up the target in scope. I successfully hunted deer and wild hogs for several years with my scoped .44 Mag handguns. Try the 2X if you can locate one. Hope you find the right combo that works for you.
Old November 22, 2008, 03:43 PM   #9
publius

I've had the same experience as Roklok. 2x handgun scopes actually make things look farther away to me as do 3x rifle scopes.
Old November 23, 2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Glock-19

I have a bushnell holosight on my Raging Bull .41 mag, I havent had a chance to get a deer with it yet, but I am glad I choose it over a scope. With a scope I couldnt hold it steady enough to get a clear picture of the target, with the holosight I have no problems.
Old November 24, 2008, 03:13 AM   #11
Dallas Jack

I haven't used a scoped handgun for twenty years so this may be dated. I had a Leupold M8 2x, a Burris 2x and 5x, and a Tasco 2x. The Tasco was junk and went back to the factory twice so I never really had a chance to use it for more than 3 shots. Of the other three they were all clear and worked well but the Leuplod was harder to use. The eye relief and alignment were more critical than the 2 Burris scopes.

Using some kind of rest will help but I would look at other scopes just for a comparison. You may find one that fits you better.

Good Luck
Dallas Jack
Old November 24, 2008, 09:39 AM   #12
Smaug

I'm pretty surprised at the number of hunters who use iron sighted handguns. Seems like handgun hunting would be challenging enough without limiting the resolution to what my eyes have.

I'm out of money and time to practice with a new scope now. So it is going to have to be the Leupold 4X this year and I'll just take my chances. Next year, we'll see.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer