The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 28, 2004, 02:36 AM   #26
Justin

I'm not a knife aficionado by any stretch of the imagination. I've been carrying a CRKT M16 for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. I'm also a big fan of the finger extrusion thing on the back of the blade. Darn near the best $30 I've ever spent.
Old June 30, 2004, 11:08 AM   #27
FirstFreedom

Yeah, Justin, That's what mine is - the CRKT, model M16-12Z. It's solid as a rock. It's great - can't go wrong for $27.75, when a Benchmade of similar quality may be twice as much!
Old June 30, 2004, 08:27 PM   #28
Dave Markowitz

My EDC knife is a Benchmade Griptilian (plain edge) w/Axis lock. I absolutely love this knife. Previously, I carried a plain edge Spyderco Delica, which is also a fabulous EDC knife.

I also carry a Victorinox Swiss Army Cybertool 41 and a Gerber Multiplier Scout in my laptop bag (I'm a systems engineer for a large ISP). I recommend the Victorinox over any other multitool for network geeks like myself. It's replaced most of my toolbag.
Old July 1, 2004, 12:01 PM   #29
CPR

Here are my opinions on folders, so you know what they're worth...

What is the primary use for your folding knife? Basic utility (multi-tool, SAK, most folders)? Last resort SD (aggressive blade shape, strong lock, ergonomic handle)? Digging yourself out of a metal coffin (stout blade, strong lock)? Cleaning your finger nails (slip joint)?

What style of folding knife do you prefer? Tac'd-out and scary (Strider, Emerson), sexy and bling-bling (William Henry), basic and utilitarian (Chris Reeve), old timer-ish (Hen and Rooster), overly functional (Leatherman Super Tool, SAK Cyber-knife)?

How much do you want to spend? You can get well made folders that will perform most of the tasks I listed for $50 if you look around. You can also jump in with both feet and go right to the big $$$ folders. It all depends on your tastes/budget.

I carry a Strider SMF for a last-ditch SD tool and any SHTF situation that may arise. Plus, I simply love the essence of the knife and I trust my life with it. It is extremely well designed and it will outlast me. The Strider guys stand behind their products 110%, which is always a plus in my book. If I break it, they fix/replace it. Kinda takes some of the guess work out of the deal.

I will soon have a small gray [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] (Sebenza) in a leather sheath for when around sheeple and utility cutting is required. CRK is another company that stands behind its products. I've owned several, and have yet to be disappointed.

Both of these are relatively expensive folders, but I get woodies for well made things and don't mind paying a little more for them.

I have learned enough about folding knives to shy away from many liner locks (even some customs). There are some well made liner locks out there, but there are some "tactical" L-L knives which are designed/executed so poorly that I'd rather carry a slip joint (at least I KNOW when the slipjoint is gonna give/fail). I like the Axis lock, but it makes me nervous in some grips (accidental disengagement of the lock). Lockbacks are great and seem to be making a comeback for last ditch SD folders (Spyderco Chinook/Chinook II), but not my cup of tea. I like high speed, gadgety stuff designed in the 20th century. So, for me, the Chris Reeve designed/inspired integral lock gives me the most confidence in a folder (although even these can be executed poorly). The beauty of the integral lock is that your grip helps keep the lock, well...locked

It really boils down to what you like and what you want/need to use the knife to cut. The beauty of all this is there's a TON of knives to choose from in every price range!

Good luck!
Chris
Old July 1, 2004, 12:34 PM   #30
Mac Attack

For a general purpose knife I think a SAK or Leatherman are great options.

For a defensive knife I would carry something a strong lock preferably a Frame lock or one with a extra thick liner. I am very partial to Emerson Knives with the wave feature. With the wave you can deploy your folder just as quickly as if you were pulling a fixed blade. I know there has been quite a bit of hype about Emerson's QC but those issues have been resolved years ago.

For an even better knife I would say any folder from Strider including their Buck knives collaboration. For the record I carry a knife daily and use it often for mundane tasks such as opening mail, cutting loose strings from cloths, fighting off attacks from rampaging pieces of paper...etc. I have a several production and custom knives to choose from. As of late, I have been alternating my edc with my Phil Hartsfield Kozuka fixed blade, or my Strider SMF or my Bob Terzuola ATCK. All are great knives which are up to any task they are presented with.

Mac
Old July 3, 2004, 08:12 AM   #31
EricO

For some time now I've been slipping the small CRKT copy of the KFF (Kaspar/Crawford Fighting Folder) in my pocket. I also have a nice all stainless Spyderco Calypso Jr. that's quite a handy cutter. One of two Leatherman products sometime accompany me also - either one of the small pliers (can't recall the name) in a Normark keychain kydex holder, or a Wave in a Normark kydex sheath.

I'm debating the carry of a small fixed knife (in this case, either a Busse AS or a Lynn Griffith SUB-necker) in a nice belt sheath but I need to look into the legality issues for the area better. This is in CA. I've always believed that if a fixed blade is carried in plain sight (i.e., not concealed) then it's legal in most CA jurisdictions (of course some local laws notwithstanding). My question would be - if the sheath conceals most of the knife (only a little of the handle would be visible) and it's practically "hidden in plain view", would it be looking for trouble? This would be a horizontally oriented sheath that kinda blends in with the belt. Not concealed, mind you, it would be right there for everyone to see, but just not instantly recognizeable in this day of belt carried PDA's, cellphones, etc. What say ye, fellow CA carriers? Any opinions?

Erik G., that's great that your local dept. allows the carry of a fixed blade as well as a folder. I've always thought that a small, fixed blade is much easier to access in a stressful situation than to deploy a folder. The problem is the much higher profile carry. I've kinda thought out an idea for LE to be able to carry one that wouldn't atract attention that perhaps I'll try to refine or have someone make a prototype. Or on the other hand, perhaps it's just a silly idea!

EricO
Old July 13, 2004, 05:25 AM   #32
H&K Fan

Lots of different knives, depending on situation I am entering. Usually MicroTech manual action folders or an AG Russell Sting (check your local laws, double edged knives are perceived as weapons in a lot of areas). Sometimes its a Puma, either a folder or one of their shorter fixed blade knives. Will probably switch to a Randall Triathelete once the one I ordered shows up - it is one of the few Randalls which is ground rather than forged. With a short overall length I will be able to carry it at work without any problems or hassles. A slipjoint folder for cutting string, opening mail and so forth as well as the ones listed above.

Last edited by H&K Fan; July 15, 2004 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Personal
Old July 13, 2004, 10:11 AM   #33
General_Tso

If you want a tactical folder, I think there are two things that are overlooked. 1. You want a knife where the clip points towards the point of the knife when its open so you don't have to juggle the knife around when you draw it in a hurry. (Trust me, it makes a big difference. Use one of Benchmade's trainer knifes if you have access to a knife defense class.) 2. You don't want a blade that's too large--the smaller, lighter and more descrete the better. I forget the exact measurement, but it only takes about 2.5 inches to reach every vital organ in the human body.

I personally carry a Benchmade 732 "Ares" with an unserrated blade, and honestly I think it's a little too big. I wish the blade was about .5 inches shorter and a hair thinner. Otherwise, it does the job for me.

"Now, you know why they call me 'Dirty Harry': Every dirty job that comes along."
Old July 15, 2004, 06:16 AM   #34
harrydog

For EDC it's my small plain Sebenza. Perfect size, and high quality.
For backpacking/camping, etc. I carry my Strider AR. A really large and beefy folder that seems nearly unbreakable.
Old July 20, 2004, 12:15 AM   #35
PATH

Well After reading all the info here I now carry a Leatherman Wave and I am also looking at Spydercos. I still carry the Swiss Army Knife as well!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old July 20, 2004, 12:31 AM   #36
priv8ter

Hmmm...

Isn't this kind of like asking what the best gun is? Just so many niche's to fill.

That being said, I recently bought a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek, with the partially serrated handle.

I love this knife. The open assist is slick. In, I had to take it away from my wife because I was afraid she was going to cut herself.

I use mine as a utility knife at work. It cuts through 1/2" rope, or 80mil herculite without a problem. But, at the same time, I also feel it would make a suitable defensive tool(especially since I can't carry a gun at work ).

After having mine for 2 days, I went back and bought a Ken Onion Chive, with the rainbow Titanium Oxide treatment. What a pretty knife. And it lasts longer than flowers! It now goes everywhere in my wife's pocket.

I am so happy with these knives, about $50 a piece, I have a hard time justifying the need for a $150 Benchmade or Al Mar like some of the guys I work with have.

greg