The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2014, 10:25 AM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbicatt
I have measured greater variances in shoulder to case head dimensions on bottleneck rifle cases using this press than I get with my single stage press.
I consistently get 0.0015 total indicated headspace variance on .22-250 brass sized in a Redding body die in my LCT. The VAST majority indicate within the zero tolerance of the calipers. Other brass has indicated the same but I have not measured it in quantity as I did the .22-250.
Old July 16, 2014, 11:17 PM   #27
kostner

I use a Lee Classic turret press for all my rifle reloading 30/30 223. 3006 and 5.62x39. Works fine and think it was the best $99 I ever spent on a tool.
Old July 17, 2014, 08:48 PM   #28
PoiDog

I'm in the T-7 camp as well. I did buy an extra turret when I bought the press a couple of years back. I use it just for rifles, I have other presses for handgun calibers.

Also have an RCBS Reloader Special that I still use.

The turret on the press has 3 rifle calibers set up, the ones I shoot the most. 6mmBR, .223 bolt gun, and now .260 Remington.

The other turret is not setup yet, but will have .308, .303, and .30-30. I might replace the .30-30 with the 6.5 Swede dies, not sure yet.

Whichever turret you buy, you will most likely enjoy it. It does take the die adjustment away for the most part, other than the initial setup.

I also purchased the primer feed for the T-7 recently. It works well, like most things Redding makes. Heck, the large reloading companies all make excellent stuff. Pick your color.
Old July 20, 2014, 12:06 AM   #29
Jim243

Quote:
I feel like I'm missing something. Because the best I can determine, other than being able to screw in your dies all at once, rather than having to switch out dies, I fail to see how they have any advantage over a single stage press

To turret or not to turret, that is the question.

Tis it far better to have all the dies set per caliber than have to adjust them each time I want to reload?

Doth I need to make a complete round each time that auto-index makes a complete revolution?

Do I need to have the constancy of each round being exactly like the previously made one?

Doth I need to have the ability of pounding out a hundred and fifty rounds of 9 mm an hour for those crazy IDPA matches, or would it be far better to spend all day long doing the same thing over and over and over?

Do I have to toil without stop to complete my task, or can the call for nature be made and resumed as if I never left?

Ah, a turret is a turret is a turret and a press by any other name would work so well (or is that smell)?

Without my true love (of reloading) life is not worth living, so give me that vile of poison called a single stage and let it be done. Shackle me to the bench so I can spend the rest of my days here, or set me free to go shooting. (Lee Classic Turret)

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; July 20, 2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old July 20, 2014, 02:28 AM   #30
Hammerhead

Having all the dies set up is nice for small runs, less important on big runs.
The real time saving with a turret is handling a case just once from start to finish.

I had been playing around with a single stage as my 'TV press' - sizing, flaring and ram priming. I thought it would save me time if I could do the prep while watching the boob tube. It went OK, but today I ran 100 rounds of .45 acp on the T-7 all the way through (semi-progressive mode?) and just flew through them in no time. The TV press will be put into cold storage.

Plus you have no obstructions in front of the case. You can see better and nothing to get in the way of your hands. You also get a good view of the powder charge in handgun calibers, so I feel safe running it in the semi-progressive mode.

Last edited by Hammerhead; July 20, 2014 at 02:35 AM.