The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 4, 2014, 05:31 AM   #1
kawasakifreak77

AR noob. Magpul MBUS?

Got my first AR the other day to try on for size. I'm thinking about using the MBUS sights on it (its already decked out with magpul stuff so I figure I could just continue the theme) & there's a couple things I'm curious about.

Can you get decent accuracy out of them or are they just for getting you in the ballpark?

Like, how good of group can you shoot at x many yards?

Are they repeatable (from getting folded up & down) once set?

Could I upgrade the front post to something more visible like fiber optic or tritium?

Like, does the post exchange with another A2 post?

I like the concept of a K.I.S.S. carbine so they would be the only sights on the gun. I don't want to join another forum to ask a couple questions. I searched around & couldn't come up with any definite answers

Thanks for any help!
Old April 4, 2014, 06:06 AM   #2
BillyJack3

MBUS are good backup sights. Yes, they are as accurate as an other and no, they don't lose zero when folded up and down. I believe there are some replacement posts but from what I've seen, not all are 100% compatible and may require some Dremel work.

If these are going to be your only sights on the AR, then why wouldn't you go with some solid fixed sights? Also, what are you mounting the front sight to? A gas block or free float rail?
Old April 4, 2014, 06:53 AM   #3
kawasakifreak77

The gun has a YHM rail on it now. It already has a YHM flip up rear along with a truglo fiber optic / battery powered front sight. I've read that the truglo front sight needs to be down on a gas block to zero correctly. I'm going out shooting today to verify this.

I like the fold down sights because I plan on tossing this behind the seat of my old pickup if I keep it & being able to lay them flat would protect them & keep them from hanging up on junk behind the seat.

I'm not opposed to fixed sights, only I don't want to invest a bunch of money reconfiguring stuff on it as of right now.

If the current sights work, I'll probably keep them for now. Guess I should have mentioned that. If they don't, I want irons as cheaply as possible & how the gun is set up, the mbus looks like a good option.
Old April 4, 2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Dirty_Harry

Magpuls are great. I never hear of any complaints. Make sure you buy from a reputable company though, I have bought junk magpul knockoffs before.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old April 4, 2014, 01:43 PM   #5
BillyJack3

How long is your rail and is the truglo sight sitting on it or on a gas block? Yes, the description says it's for a gas block and that's in relation to the height that it's designed for. A typical railed gas block sits lower than a continuous rail so the sight is taller in height to compensate for it. If you are mounting to a rail, you will likely have a very low POI. A front MBUS will solve for that.
Old April 4, 2014, 02:52 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

The MBUS front sight is supposed to use standard sight posts. So, other aftermarket posts should fit.

Quote:
I like the fold down sights because I plan on tossing this behind the seat of my old pickup if I keep it & being able to lay them flat would protect them & keep them from hanging up on junk behind the seat.
I had the same thoughts while building a pistol, recently. (Though, not for banging around behind the seat.)

My brothers probably think I'm crazy, because I didn't explain my thought process when I introduced the new 'toy'.
...But I put YHM folding sights on the pistol to keep it as snag-free as possible in the safe and while cased. It will also keep the sights out of the way if I ever put a reflex sight on it.

So far, at least, it appears to have been a good choice, since I can't get the pistol in the safe without the sights folded.
Old April 4, 2014, 08:34 PM   #7
marine6680

A set of quality fixed sights will hold up well to some abuse.

They are not indestructible, but most bumps and falls will not hurt them. So don't be afraid to use them.
Old April 4, 2014, 08:35 PM   #8
kawasakifreak77

Thanks for the help guys.

Yup. I took it to the range & my bullets were landing about half way between me & the target! I yank the sights off, set them next to each other & the front is about 1/4" taller than the rear. Doh!

I've got a set of mbus in od green coming now. Hopefully someone will come along with a gas block gun that wants a nice set of sights so I can recoup some pocket change!
Old April 5, 2014, 01:28 AM   #9
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Is this intended as a plinker or will it see duty as a fighting stick? If the latter you should look into some metal sights. The MBUS aren't known for durability.
Old April 5, 2014, 07:03 AM   #10
Mobuck

First off, let me state that I don't buy into the "buis" concept. Therefore, I don't even consider such devices in any context. I'd put whatever sighting system I felt adequate on the rifle and pack it in a decent soft case. I've packed AR carbines in soft cases across the rear seat foot wells of my Jeep for months w/o any noticeable scope POI change.
You didn't really say why you're packing the AR. I carry mine for the occasional potshot at coyotes or other varmints. I carry a pistol for personal protection-if I'm far enough away to need a rifle, most likely I'm not in grave danger anyway(although the rifle is comforting should I need to fight off an Indian ambush).
Old April 5, 2014, 10:07 AM   #11
marine6680

I have seen tests of the Magpul MBUS, that show them as just as tough if not tougher than other well respected brand's metal ones.

The polymer actually absorbed drops onto concrete directly on the sight better than the metal ones. They had the least POI sift, and were the only sights still usable after several drops. The others broke or bent so much that zeroing the sights to compensate was impossible.
Old April 5, 2014, 05:42 PM   #12
Darker Loaf

Your fixed irons should be your best bet if you are using it as a primary weapon. I happen to like BUIS, in general, but prefer the metal kind. If you must go with a Magpul products (don't get me wrong, I have LOTS of Magpul products and would endorse most of them), go with the metal BUIS. While the plastic Magpul BUIS have become an industry standard of sorts, with lots of companies supplying them as primary sights, they do suffer from durability issues.

While I haven't had mine out-and-out fail on me (I still use them on an airsoft gun and they work about as well as they need in that application), they are made of plastic. I found that my Magpul BUIS do not take well to over tightening and the nuts that fit in the plastic housing will gogue and rotate in the plastic with over-tightening. Granted, I'm a freak and tend to over-tighten things, but I've never had a problem with metal sights. I'm just saying if they were my primary sights, instead of being used as BUIS, then I would go with something else.
Old April 7, 2014, 05:43 AM   #13
kawasakifreak77

This isn't a fighting gun to me. I'm just trying on the gun to see if I like the AR & I need a cheap way of seeing how it shoots to figure whether I keep it or flip it. I'm not of the mindset I need the latest tacticool gear to go running & gunning with buckets of ammo. If anything like that happens those guys can be the bullet sponges & draw fire while I head to the hills with whatever trusty bolt gun, revolver & single barrel shotgun I have handy.

Getting tossed behind the seat is because a gun like this to me has no sentimental value. I know ARs are good guns, just like Glocks. They're just not my cup of tea. I have a P220 for the same reason. Amazing handgun, no sentimental value in case something happens to it.
Old April 7, 2014, 03:18 PM   #14
Snyperx

Keep in mind Magpul has two lines of products. The PTS line (airsoft type guns and made in China) and the MOE line which is used on real guns. The PTS line would surely not last long on a real gun. Just wanted to add the distinction to the thread.

Last edited by Snyperx; April 7, 2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old April 7, 2014, 04:26 PM   #15
Venom1956

real steel. ugh cringe. dumbest term ever.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 7, 2014, 05:23 PM   #16
Snyperx

Quote:
real steel. ugh cringe. dumbest term ever.
Fixed my post
Old April 7, 2014, 06:45 PM   #17
Darker Loaf

To be clear, I was talking about actual Magpul BUIS. They are plastic, but theoretically more durable than their airsoft line. The actual-for-real-guns, non-airsoft sights are the ones I use on my airsoft gun.

There is a 3rd set of Magpul sight options that haven't been mentioned: the MBUS Pro. They are all steel.

I'm not sure that our original poster wants to spend the $$$'s on steel, since once you get up into steel, you are looking at $100+ for fixed or folding sights, and he isn't "tacticool" like I am. [I'll be the first guy getting shot, apparently, because of my sights.]

All jesting aside, the plastic, actual Magpul BUIS should be OK for your purposes. I'm just unusually rough and/or unlucky and tend to break everything. They will still totally function as sights, and they are fairly inexpensive. But, what I've come to realize is that I might as well always buy higher quality products. I tend to be dissatisfied from lower quality (read: "less durable") products, and if I buy a lower-quality product, I usually end up getting the more expensive one later. Therefore, I try to steer other people away from the lower end stuff to prevent them from wasting money. If you buy quality immediately, it will be less likely that you will be disappointed and may actually save you money in the long term. However, I also realize that people are not all destructive freaks like I am, and the regular plastic (non-airsoft) MBUS should serve you well. But if you said you were rough on your stuff and actually plan on using your AR often (as in a truck gun), metal probably would be the way to go.
Old April 7, 2014, 06:50 PM   #18
marine6680

I don't think those cheap Chinese made sights are authorized by Magpul... they are just cheap knockoffs.

I say get some MBUS and be done with it. PSA has some aluminum folding sights for around the same money, and they have specials at times for less.
Old April 8, 2014, 05:54 AM   #19
SR420

kawasakifreak77, the Gen II plastic Magpul MBUS are perfectly fine for what you are talking about. Beware of counterfeit knock-offs.

Another option is fixed sights like LMT, these are metal & excellent.

Good luck.