The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 29, 2012, 12:58 PM   #1
NHSHOOTER

Timney trigger

I am thinking of putting a timney trigger on my model 77 ruger hawkeye, any of you guys have any experience with these triggers? How are they to install? Do I need to take it to a gunsmith? It says it comes "without safety" means I utilize the one thats there?
Any help would be appreciated..Thanks
Old December 29, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
double posted

Last edited by oneoldsap; December 29, 2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: DP
Old December 29, 2012, 01:38 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Yes the stock safety remains on the rifle as it's part of the receiver ! I haven't installed a Timney on a Hawkeye yet , but it should be a real simple operation . There may be some minor fitting , to insure that the safety functions with the new trigger . At least that's the deal with the MK IIs and the Moyers trigger ! Safety First , Last and always !
Old December 29, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4
NHSHOOTER

I have yet to decide on a certain trigger, I know I want a adjustable, is the Moyer's a good trigger?
Old December 29, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
MrBorland

I installed one on a CZ550. Great trigger - clean break, right at 3lbs. A big improvement over the factory trigger. Easy to install, too.

The the fly in the ointment with mine was, in fact, the safety: It utilized the factory safety, but once the round was chambered, and the bolt closed, it couldn't be engaged. It could be engaged before closing the bolt, so something likely needed a little fitting. I ended up selling the rifle to finance another, and never did figure out what needed fitting.
Old December 29, 2012, 01:49 PM   #6
oneoldsap

I don't know if the Moyers is still on the market or not . I thought the Hawkeyes had an adjustable trigger . Yes the Moyers is adjustable !
Old December 29, 2012, 01:51 PM   #7
oneoldsap

With the Moyers , the top of the trigger lever has to be filed a little to allow the safety to clear the trigger .
Old December 29, 2012, 01:56 PM   #8
solocam72

I put a jard trigger in a ruger m77 17hmr and it was very simple, I have sevearal timney triggers and have worked with them a lot over the years and IMO they are as good as it gets for the money! I have had jewel triggers that broke no better than a timney and costed twice as much or more! Go timney and you will have a VERY VERY good trigger for a lifetime and a company that proudly stands behind there product and will take care of you. The jard I put in the M77 was nice but it was set at ounces for bench rest target only, I have no other experience than that with , I've read reviews that weren't great about the jard? Go timney
Old December 29, 2012, 04:25 PM   #9
603Country

I bought a Ruger Hawkeye a year or two ago. The trigger was Ok, but not great, so I took the rifle to a gunsmith who took 10 minutes of my time and $10 of my money (a bargain, in my view) to replace the trigger assembly spring with a lighter spring. That took the pull weight down to a hair over 2 pounds. That was a definite improvement. But...I had the urge for an aftermarket trigger, so I ordered a Timney. The instructions were clear and understandable and with a bit of filing (per the directions) I had it installed in 20 or 30 minutes. I could've gone faster, but since it was the first time I'd done it, I went slow and careful. Then I had to take a little material off the inside of the stock to give clearance to the trigger assembly. That was pretty easy. Then I fiddled with pull weights and springs and decided that the Ruger spring with the Timney trigger was the best combination. It's really a great trigger.