The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 29, 2015, 12:38 PM   #1
Fivesense

Tool for Glock mag disassembly

What is the best tool kit for magazine disassembly, specifically for Glock? I want to start doing it on my own, rather than going to my local shop. But the Glock mags are a pain to take apart, so I want the best tools.

Is it something like this?
Old November 29, 2015, 01:13 PM   #2
hoghunting

Have been using this method for years before the video was posted, it works very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3BF5gyWVCQ
Old November 29, 2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Fivesense

Thank you HogHunting.

I just found this video as well, and as a result was able to finally disassemble my first G26 mag. Of course, a healthy amount of swearing was still required, but nowhere near as much as in the past!
Old November 29, 2015, 01:46 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

You really don't need to disassemble your Glock mags very often.

For normal disassembly needs (i.e. infrequent disassembly) the method in the video works fine and that's the method Glock teaches in their armorer classes.

If you are in a situation where you know you'll be disassembling your mag a lot (maybe you practice in a swamp and frequently drop your mags in muddy water) then get the GTUL. It is definitely easier on the magazines.
Old November 29, 2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Fivesense

Quote:
You really don't need to disassemble your Glock mags very often.

For normal disassembly needs (i.e. infrequent disassembly) the method in the video works fine and that's the method Glock teaches in their armorer classes.
Thank you John. I agree 100%.

I don't plan to change out the plates often, and I rarely need to clean my mags. I'm just doing it more now because I'm trying to find the right combination for my new G26. I'm going to install a GAP floor plate on two of my carry mags, and I've got a Pearce +3 (I only use +2) extension as a back up mag when I'm carrying the G26 vs. my G17.