The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2006, 05:42 PM   #1
rrp

trouble loading 270wsm

I just purchased lee precision 270wsm dies and am having a problem I have never encountered before. After resizing,when I seat the bullet to the canuller the the bullet becomes loose and pulls out of the case very easily. The dies are brand new and the Winchester cases are new but I full length resized them. I've been reloading for about 15 years and have never had this happen before. This is a new round for me so if anyone can give me an idea why this is happening I would appreciate it.
thanks , rrp
Old June 28, 2006, 10:52 PM   #2
hoghunting

Go to www.shortmags.org and look at their reloading tips. You will probably find the answer you need.
Old June 29, 2006, 01:37 PM   #3
rrp

trouble with loading 270wsm

I contacted Lee Precision Inc. and talked to one of their experts and he solved the problem I was having seating the bullets. One has to tighten the full size seating die in a little more with the 270 wsm to acheive the correct head space on the case than you do with most rounds. I tightened it down and got the right sizing of the case neck and the bullet stayed in perfectly. The people at Lee were very hepful. Thanks for your help. rrp
Old July 24, 2006, 05:12 PM   #4
T-Mac

to rrp

rrp... What is your gun make, model?
Have you concocted any 130 gr. loads yielding real tight groups?
I am still experimenting (Win. Mod 70/ Coyote) and haven't found the awe- inspiring recipe, so far.

Thanks in advance.
Old July 24, 2006, 07:51 PM   #5
270Win

I've also had good experience with the Lee people - I had a badly stuck .270 case (just regular .270, not WSM or WSSM) in my die, they directed my die rescue via the phone, and then when my decapper broke in the attempt, they sent me another one free of charge.

Good service!