The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2000, 01:04 AM   #1
Moe

In a test I read that the U.S. military conducted. The mossberg 590 survived a 3000 round buckshot test. They made a big deal of this. I always thought a shotgun would be able to suvive much more shots of such high power loads. Any opinions? I have an ithaca 37. I wonder how long it would last under such conditions. Does anyone out there know of any data or sources of data for such testing by various manufactures or other labs, gov. agencies?

Moe
Old March 28, 2000, 08:10 AM   #2
K80Geoff

3000 rounds? that doesn't seem like a lot to me. My O/U had fired over 30,000 rounds before I had it serviced. Everything worked fine, never had a problem.

A pump gun should give many years of use before something breaks. It would be pretty hard to wear out an 870, you might need to replace some minor parts but the gun should last longer than it's owner. I have heard of Gas operated semi autos wearing out to the point that the receiver cracked, but these guns were used by skeet shooters who put many tens of thousands of rounds through the guns for many years. Big thing with gas guns is to replace the recoil spring at regular intervals. The "Technoid" at www.shotgunreport.com has discussed this many times.

If you replace certain parts on a routine basis the gun should last a lifetime.

Geoff Ross
Old March 28, 2000, 02:01 PM   #3
Will Fennell

I'm currently shooting a Beretta AL390 in sportingclays competition, and it approaching 150,000 rounds. Its running fine. I've replaced maybe $50 worht of small parts, usually in preventive maintinance. On the subject of reciever or major componet wear, the originals[reciever, barrel, etc.] are holding up fine. I have gotten a couple of hair line cracks in the buttstock, but the stock was heavily modified, so its tough to blame that on Beretta. Suits me fine, I spring for a new buttstock, or I may just rap this one with tape

IMHO, there is no finer gas operated auto shotgun made, and we will see if the new Beretta 391 can live up to its ancestors.

In general terms, most modern 12 ga repeaters should last longer than the shooters. I've got the Rem. 870 that I started hunting with when I was 13[22 years ago]. Its still working fine. I've broken 1 firing pin in all that time. You will get tired before the gun does.

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Will Fennell/CAMILLUS CUTLERY

Old March 29, 2000, 06:58 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Moe,your Ithaca is a John Browning design, and your great grandchildren may be shooting it heavily.

Some British Game guns,SXS to us folks, have racked up 500,000 shots without major repairs required.

Neighbor is a nationally ranked trap shooter, who shoots 5,000 shots or more per yr. He says he's never worn out a shotgun.
Old March 30, 2000, 06:01 AM   #5
Ned Roundtree

Hmmmm? I have a Winchester 1897 pump, manufactured 1898. It stands in the gun vault with the other long arms. If you are real quiet. At night you can hear it telling the other long arms, stories of 102 years of shooting adventures.