The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2014, 02:01 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Actually that powder doesn't create enough dwell time in the pressure window to operate that gun. You can go way over pressure and still not work the action.
I believe this is the key. The key to having an auto pistol work is pressure/time.

you can load virtually any powder and have the gun fire. But having is cycle properly is a different matter. You can load black powder in a .45ACP and it will fire. In a revolver it would function normally (with some extra smoke) but NOT in an autoloader. All the pressure you need is there, but the duration is all wrong for what the gun is set up for.

The powder shortage is bad on all of us, but I would say that if the choice is an unsuitable powder or no powder, that would, to me justify the expense of shipping a suitable powder in (assuming you can find it).
Old February 21, 2014, 12:44 PM   #27
SHR970

Quote:
All the pressure you need is there, but the duration is all wrong for what the gun is set up for.
Substitute Semi Auto Pistol with Shotgun or Rifle and that still applies. Think Garand, Rem 742, et. al in the rifle world and host of shotguns pre-2000. You can be too fast and you can be too slow. All semi autos are designed to work within a certain set of parameters. We can adjust the parameters somewhat (springs, bolt weight, etc.) but we still have a window that we must stay in. Stray too far out and we have problems; try to force it to work and the problems become more severe up to and including catastrophic.
Old February 21, 2014, 01:03 PM   #28
WESHOOT2

Hence my advice
Old February 24, 2014, 02:19 AM   #29
captainvette2112

Just wanted to give another update.....

I changed bullets to Berry's plated 124gr - RN and dropped down to 3.5g's of Nitro 100 @ 1.16+ oal. with very very light crimp.

All guns are ejecting fine now. Zero failures after 350 rounds through both the Px4 and 92fs Berettas. (Actually I had 1 squib but thats not the guns fault.).

The Px4 (compact) shot fine with the 124 gr bullet and 3.2g's of Nitro 100 @ 1.16 oal and the 92 was technically ejecting but very weakly so I took it to 3.5

I guess the Beretta's just like the 124gr bullet better than the 115 although I was able to get them to shoot the lighter bullet properly at 3.8 but that is way over max in the manual.

I will say that this is the lightest recoiling, cleanest powder I have ever seen so now that I think I have this dialed in I might actually have a go-to powder for the duration of the shortage which is awesome because the local shop has an 8 lb keg of it that no one has wanted to buy in over a month.
Old February 24, 2014, 01:16 PM   #30
WESHOOT2

In my testing I found Nitro 100 offered the lowest recoil feel of any 45 ACP powder I've yet tested.
And I've tested a bunch
Old February 25, 2014, 02:28 AM   #31
1SOW

BigJimP +1

for 9mm Luger: Clays will run fine for several calibers including .45 if you can find it.

Look at local Shotgun ranges that handle powder. IMR 7625 is a favorite shotgun powder for many that runs 9mm VERY Very well---comparable to Vit n320-n330.
Many skeet and trap ranges with weekly leagues/shoots handle powders that work well for several pistol calibers.
Old February 25, 2014, 04:21 PM   #32
TylerOutdoorsman

A Lee Factory Crimp die and moderate loads have solved all of my feeding problems in the past with the exception of a Ruger P95 that I bought brand new and couldn't get it to cycle anything, even high end factory ammo. Sent it back to Ruger, they didn't tell me what they did to it, but it worked for a few rounds ok then went right back to the same problems. Attributed it to a tight chamber or something and traded it off.
"...Let he who does not have a sword, sell his cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36b

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Tags
9mm , eject , fte , handload