The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 17, 2005, 07:13 PM   #1
Recon7

quick shootin' use one eye or both

carbine training, BG pops you need to shoulder your weapon and fire quick, do you close your non-firing eye or leave em' both open. I am right handed and left eyed.
Old December 17, 2005, 07:58 PM   #2
hIPSHOT33

Recon7 , I'm somewhat like you , my left eye is dominant,I shoot rifle left handed and pistol right . both eyes open i'm just not aware of what the right one is seeing . sounds dumb i know ,and it used to drive my pistol coach crazy to see me drag the pistol over in front of my left eye.
Old December 17, 2005, 08:34 PM   #3
StormTrooper

I myself use both eyes all the time, then I always use optics too and have them positined to allow me the full sight picture through the optics as well as my peripheral field of view. I feel being able to use both eyes gives you a more confident sense of the ability to catch multiple tartgets. With one eye closed i may not see as quickly someone coming in from either side. My 2 pennies.
Old December 18, 2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Eghad

2 > 1

NRA Life Member
Old December 18, 2005, 07:24 PM   #5
exprt9

I used to shoot using my right eye only whether combat shooting or target shooting. I went shooting once with a friend that became a Navy Seal and told me that it is wise to use both eyes especially when doing combat shoots. It took me a while getting used to it without getting crosseyed. I still shoot using my dominant eye only at long distances and rifle shots but for combat both eyes always. Better field of vision using both eyes. My CCW instructor showed us a trick on how to determine which eye is dominant by extending both arms out hands open, fingers together, thumbs straight out and make a triangular hole with left hand overlapping the right hand but leave a gap between where the thumbs and index finger meet. Then choose a spot like a wallclock, make sure the wallclock is seen thru the hole then slowly move your hands closer to your face without loosing sight of the wall clock. The gap (hole) will move towards your dominant eye. Try it!
Old December 19, 2005, 09:02 AM   #6
DocFox

Although it is not an easy task, it is possible to "train" your non-dominant eye to acquire the sight picture. Doing this has several secondary benefits as well as the benefit of allowing you to keep both eyes open.

Doc
Old December 21, 2005, 01:29 PM   #7
OneInTheChamber

I can shoot either.Just make sure you don't get cross-eyed. If you practice you get used to it and it allows you a much better field of view.

Chase
Old December 21, 2005, 06:51 PM   #8
Ozzieman

I also have both open

It took some time to train myself and I first did it with a cover over my glasses for the weak eye. Now I can, dont know the word but defuse defocus or just ignor the weak eye and concentrate on the strong eye.
Since I have started doing that my shooting is much better.
I have a Beretta storm carbine with a lazer reflect sight and its amazing the ease it is to shoot with both open. If you cant shoot with both open start training yourself, its amazing once you can.
Old December 22, 2005, 12:29 AM   #9
Sweatnbullets

Both eyes open, threat focused, using Quick Kill.

The best solution that I have found to the problem stated in the first post.
Old December 25, 2005, 03:53 PM   #10
CyberSEAL

Both eyes open, always, unless making a long range shot with time for planning.
Old December 26, 2005, 06:57 AM   #11
Chris Cullen

I think the use of whatever eye is insignificant in getting rounds into the target "quickly". Of course it's depending on what the target is to start off with. I look at it from an offender point of view as thats my background.
Generally speaking, if I have to get my firearm onto a target "quickly", I don't even get an opportunity to look down the sights and aim properly. With the blood pumping and the pressure on, everyone looses accuracy unless they have such well trained muscle memory retension that the draw, sight and fire is second nature.
The drills I have put myself through have shown that under pressure, I don't get time to align the sights - its just point the firearm at the target and neutralize the threat.
Unfortuneatly, in these type of situations, milliseconds count, and I don't want to be left there thinking.... now which eye do I look through?? Am I right or left eye dominant?? I can't really see my sights in these low light conditions!!
For the long shot, absolutely.... take the time as each round must count. Still... one shot brings others (bad guys that is...)

Chris Cullen
Old December 26, 2005, 08:13 AM   #12
Weeg

Hence, point-shoot drills?

Old December 26, 2005, 10:03 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Another vote for both eyes. Greater peripheral vision and situational awareness.
Old December 26, 2005, 11:21 AM   #14
jcims

wandering eye

I have a quick questinon about training to shoot with both eyes open.

I did a different form of 'training' to focus with the dominant eye. When i was in high school i used to cross just one eye by 'selecting' the focus of the dominant eye and then just pulling the other one across (like you do when you cross your eyes). It's fun to do when someone starts droning on, engage them with your eyes and then just let one slowly start drifting until it's pointed roughly at their opposite ear.

ANYWAY (sorry), now when i try to shoot with both eyes open, i can get my sight picture just fine with the dominant eye, but after about 2-3 seconds the other one tends to wander down and in (muscle training anyone?). Is that 'normal', or just a side effect of my little high school prank? The problem is the swinging field of vision has a vertigo effect and really screws me up.
Old December 26, 2005, 02:44 PM   #15
The British Soldier

Both eyes always because you lose depth perception when you close one eye and it also conceals what is going on in that arc of fire.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old December 26, 2005, 04:16 PM   #16
John2

Both eyes. A long time ago I used to use one eye (competitive rifle) and I noticed eye strain to the point of watering, blurred vision. Thats when I transitioned to using both eyes until its second nature.
Old December 26, 2005, 06:28 PM   #17
john55555

An Observation

Interesting this topic cought my eye today..as I've been examining the same thing over the past couple of weeks.

After using my S&W .357 model 65 for 18 years, I purchased a KAHR P9 for Texas CHL after I received my license. The KAHR is much lighter and easier to conceal..ideal for CCW. But, dang it, after all those years firing the 65 with a very well tweeked trigger pull of 2lbs, the KAHR seemed a bad purchase initially (4 - 6lb pull).

My standard range is 7 yards. 10 once in a while. After shooting low and to the left..as someone here told me was normal during the transition, I started to just point and shoot. My accuracy improved, and with that, my confidence with the weapon.

John
Old December 26, 2005, 06:56 PM   #18
hph1911

Unfortunately I am left eyed, right handed. At 56 YO I have shot too much with one eye shut. I swing a shotgun at trap with both eyes open but when pulling up to the back of the bird I shut my left eye. Same way with pistol shooting. But if the target is close (up to 10 ft) I just point shoot as fast as I can. Both eyes open is definitely the correct way, I just wasn't able to master it, and it's too late to change hands.

PH
Old December 30, 2005, 01:52 PM   #19
Recon7

thanks for keeping the thread alive, i thought it died a while ago.
I hadn't thought about eye strain much. Guess i need more training, thanks for all the advise
Old January 5, 2006, 06:32 PM   #20
Arizona Fusilier

Before even learning about eye dominance, I was taught to close one eye. Probably a good thing, as I am right-handed/left-eye dominant.

While unquestionably it has the disadvantage of losing depth perception and masking part of the field of view, it's not like I start closing my eye when I start to draw. I close my left eye as the sights start to align, and open it as the round goes off. Assess the situation with a complete field of view, repeat as necessary.

As others have mentioned, I have been doing this all my life. Very instinctive, natural, and no big deal. And I have always been a pretty good shot.