The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 15, 2016, 04:35 PM   #101
5whiskey

Magazines are not firearms
Old June 15, 2016, 05:24 PM   #102
rickyrick

If this latest panic peters out, ARs in short supply will be only a blip. I'm sure a lot of people prepped this time around.....

I say that we are the early stages of a panic now.
Old June 16, 2016, 12:22 PM   #103
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr
If this latest panic peters out, ARs in short supply will be only a blip. I'm sure a lot of people prepped this time around.....
I am inclined to agree. I think this market has a sort of reserve to it now that it didn't have a few years ago. My sense is that there are quite a few retail owners with more rifles, receivers, ammunition and magazines than they have use for, and that if the market tightens it will be their opportunity for profit taking.
Old June 16, 2016, 12:35 PM   #104
A pause for the COZ

I did today as a matter of fact. Not actually any thing extra.
Just accelerated already laid plans. So instead of buying at my leisure after the 1st of the year. I clicked the order button now.
Prices are not likely to go lower before the 1st of the year, only likely higher.

SO JoeBob got a little money.

Code Item Qty JoeBob's Sale Price Grand Total
NFA-LW15-PISTOL New Frontier Armory LW-15 Complete Polymer Pistol Lower Receiver W/ Shockwave Brace
[Optional Bullet Button:No Bullet Button] 1 $149.95 $149.95
^ FFL-Transfer Required-Lower ***This item must ship to an FFL Dealer! Please fax (785-621-4491) or e-mail ([email protected]) a copy of your FFL's License. Must be 21 to purchase AR15 Lower Receivers***
1 $0.00 $0.00
ANDER-LOWER Anderson Manufacturing AR15 Lower Receiver-Multi Cal
1 $49.95 $49.95
^ FFL-Transfer Required-Lower ***This item must ship to an FFL Dealer! Please fax (785-621-4491) or e-mail ([email protected]) a copy of your FFL's License. Must be 21 to purchase AR15 Lower Receivers***
1 $0.00 $0.00
DSC-5 Military/LEO ONLY-Uniform Discount
1 -$9.99 -$9.99

Subtotal: $189.91
Tax: $0.00
Shipping Cost: $0.00
Grand Total: $189.91
Old July 4, 2016, 06:48 PM   #105
FireForged

I seriously doubt that "resale" of banned firearms will even be allowed this time around. If its grandfathered, it likely goes when you go... I dont see them allowing them to be sold, passed on or gifted. They have learned
Old July 4, 2016, 08:37 PM   #106
Bartholomew Roberts

Compliance with the 1994 ban was, uh, marginal at best. I remember seeing more than a few non-compliant firearms at public ranges. There are still people who are not only not in compliance with the 1934 NFA; but post pictures of their non-compliant firearms on social media.

Laws like the recent California laws can't be complied with and can't be enforced on any kind of broad, fair basis. At best they'll be used randomly and arbitrarily to try and terrorize peaceable* citizens into compliance.

*I started using this term to describe the giant mass of citizens who look out for their neighbors, mow their lawns, participate in their community and pay their taxes since it has become clear that to be a law-abiding citizen is nearly impossible given the sheer number of laws we are expected to obey regarding everything from collecting rainwater, to how tall your grass can be, etc.
Old July 5, 2016, 06:46 AM   #107
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireforged
I seriously doubt that "resale" of banned firearms will even be allowed this time around. If its grandfathered, it likely goes when you go... I dont see them allowing them to be sold, passed on or gifted. They have learned
The problem with grandfathering a particular type of weapon to a specific individual is that it would require a registration of some kind. That would be a tough sell politically and even if it passed, I suspect there would be significant non-compliance.
Old July 5, 2016, 07:42 AM   #108
Don P

Quote:
If it's profit one seeks, guns are a terrible investment. Take the last panic. If one had the ability to see the situation coming, and that person was able to secure product at normal retail prices in time, he might be able to turn a profit when supplies get scarce. If not? Lots of folks bought multiple rifles or receivers, and when supply caught back up at retail, they ended up having to sell them at a loss or sit on them.
I know folks who you could not tell/explain to them why not to buy during the last panic. I call them idiots/stupid and screwed after the dust settled. They now own AR's that in the real world are worth $550-$800 but paid $1,500-$2,000. Good for them, I'm happy they didn't listen. All they did was to help the mfg, distributor, retailer a BUNCH more money.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.