The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 1, 2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Pops1085

Matech or mbus?

I just bought a matech rear sight today from a guy who's selling some of his ar's and I can't decide if I should go with it or the magpul sight. I only run irons, a light, and a grip (for said light) and was wondering if the matech would make a good primary iron sight.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:06 PM   #2
DasGuy

If you're going to only use irons, I'd get something fixed like Daniel Defense. They're in the MBUS / Matech price range.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Quentin2

Sure, the Matech is a good primary iron sight. Since you already have it definitely give it a try. It's lightweight but offers range adjustment like the old heavy carry handle sight. The only negative I've seen is with lots of flipping up and down the detent can wear to the point where the sight won't stay down. Don't cinch it down real tight or you can snap the mounting screw.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Striker1

If using only iron sights I would get a fixed BUIS or carry handle, but since that isn't one of the options you listed, I would go with the MBUS. The Matech does not have a large aperture so it is less useful for close range or low light shooting.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Quentin2

That is a good point, the Matech isn't dual aperture.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:11 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2
The only negative I've seen is with lots of flipping up and down the detent can wear to the point where the sight won't stay down. Don't cinch it down real tight or you can snap the mounting screw.
The friction point wear is seen on the off-shore copies of the Ma-tech, the GI models are more robust. The attaching screw is a known problem, BAD makes a improved attaching screw and clamp, great $5 upgrade for the Ma-tech.

I've had a ma-tech on my M4gery for 8-9 years now and it gets the job done. I do agree about a larger aperture for low light shooting.

Two other sights for the OP to look at are the LMT A2 style clamp-on and Troy. Both are very well built.
Old May 5, 2013, 08:32 AM   #7
FALPhil

I'm with DasGuy and Striker1. For irons only, fixed makes the most sense and is the most robust.

I use a MaTech on one of my carbines as a backup sight. The primary sight is a traditional 1-4x scope that pretty much stays on 1x. If something happened to the scope, I think I could rely on the MaTech.

Just for grins, my brother dropped $25 on a cheap NC Star fixed sight that he found on Amazon, thinking he would get a better sight later on. It looks like the rear part of an A3 carry handle. That was 2 years and 5000+ rounds ago. It has worked so well that he sees no reason to replace it. It is starting to look beat up because he carries that rifle everywhere he goes, but it is still holding up.
Old May 5, 2013, 02:30 PM   #8
sailskidrive

Quote:
Just for grins, my brother dropped $25 on a cheap NC Star fixed sight that he found on Amazon, thinking he would get a better sight later on. It looks like the rear part of an A3 carry handle. That was 2 years and 5000+ rounds ago. It has worked so well that he sees no reason to replace it. It is starting to look beat up because he carries that rifle everywhere he goes, but it is still holding up.
For me, this is ideological. I would never put communist made Chinese crap on my AR period.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old May 5, 2013, 06:02 PM   #9
FALPhil

Quote:
For me, this is ideological. I would never put communist made Chinese crap on my AR period.
Yeah, and I know people who say they would never eat communist Chinese crappy rice if they were starving. That's what I love about America - you still have a few choices.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Destructo6

The MATechs are junk. .

They pop up when dragged against gear and the range lever will get knocked down to the 600 setting with the same treatment.

They don't lock up or down.

I know they come on all new Colt M4A1s, but I really don't like them.

I much prefer the Troy flip up rear sight which lock up, are difficult to knock the windage adjustment off, and offer both aperatures. Cost is a turn off, though.

I'm with the chorus on this though: use a fixed rear sight if you are only going to use irons as flip ups are best if used as backups.

Keep all of them clean.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:26 PM   #11
cookie5

As mentioned get a Daniel Defense sight.
Old May 19, 2013, 01:52 PM   #12
KINGoFOOLS

I liked my matech because it was adjustable for range. Not really good for close distances though. Like everything there are fakes out there.
Old May 21, 2013, 09:09 AM   #13
chrisp51

Madcratebuilder- Where do you find BAD clamps for the Matech for $5? The last one I bought was $19!