The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 19, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Arizona14

Ruger SR-22 disassembly problem

Howdy guys,
I purchased an SR-22 for my wife for Christmas. After one trip to the range, she wanted to upgrade the trigger, put on new sights, etc., etc..
I ordered all of the parts she wanted but when I attempted to disassemble the rifle I ran into a problem.
I removed the barel shroud, no problem.
I removed the takedown screw, again no problem.
However, the barrel and receiver assembly will not come out of the lower stock. It seems to be hung up on something right in the area of the Bolt Stop Pin. The two parts will move about 1/8 inch relative to each other, fore and aft, up and down, but will not seperate.
I removed the grip and rubber pad behind the trigger, but that didn't seem to help.
I've tried to put a feeler guage between the stock and receiver to see if I can tell exactly where the hangup is, but that doesn't work either.
My only idea is that the Bolt Stop Pin is sticking out of the receiver on one side or the other, just enough to hang everything up.
Has anyone run into this problem, or have any suggestions?
Old January 20, 2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Dilbert

I haven't taken a look at an SR-22, but on the regular 10/22s you need to make sure the safety is halfway on. Hope this helps.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Arizona14

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm aware of the safety button thing, but the stock won't move far enough to even contact the safety button.
I've posted this question to Sturm Ruger and waiting to see what they say. But, in the meantime, if anyone else has run into this, please let me know.
Old January 20, 2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Arizona14

Ok. Problem is resolved.
It turns out that there is a step missing in the disassembly procedure documentation.
You need to take off the top picatinny rail also. After that is removed the receiver simply rotates up and out of the stock.
The only issue I have with that is that the picatinny rail screws are #15 TORX head, so you need a 3/16 Allen wrench to remove the handguard, a flat blade screwdriver to remove the take down screw and then the Torx wrench to remove the top rail.
My wife and I really like the gun, but I feel that Ruger and their stock supplier could have worked a little closer on this and at least made them all Allen screws.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Dilbert

Glad it worked out for you, sorry I couldn't help.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old February 9, 2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Ljutic

Thanks So Much

Thanks very much for posting this as I was fighting the same issue tonight and had done the same things and assumed it was a drifted pin that was causing the problem. I mounted an optic earlier today so I'll hold off pulling the rail until I get the chance to try the stock trigger and decide if it's getting replaced when I install the tuffer buffer.
Old February 15, 2010, 06:48 PM   #7
joehorner

SR-22 Takedown

Hey guys,I to own a SR-22. The top rail torx screws do not need to be removed. The problem is the finish on the outside of the reciever and the inside of the stock makes it a very tight fit. I also had one 'H" of a time on disassembly when I first got mine. It will come apart with the top rail screwed on to the reciever. The finish is what holds you up. Nothing will break if you just lean on it a little more. I clean mine after each range session. It is easier now that the finish between those parts wear down. No problem because it is all inside. My advice is to give it a go and you will see what I mean. Those steel screws going into an aluminum reciever will eventually win and strip out the threads. I have my screws blue locited in to the reciever. Even with a scope hanging on the rail this can be done. IE no more rezero the scope . As a matter of fact after I remove the takedown screw I have to be careful because it comes out so easy....................Joe