The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Pointer

Is it worthwhile to reload Weatherby?

At about $55 per 20 rounds the Weatherby ammo is expensive to say the least...

I have a .300 and a .340...

I would like to load for accuracy... and maybe save some money.

The dies are ridiculously pricey and shells are very difficult to come by...

Questions;

1. Is there any other source beside Weatherby company?
2. Is there anyone who reloads Weatherby? Preferrably in central Utah?
3. If necessary where can I get empty brass?

Thanks in advance for your assistance...

30-06 FOREVER
Old March 5, 2006, 09:44 PM   #2
roy reali

Re:pointer

The actual savings of reloaded ammunition versus factory stuff is often debated. With many standard cartridges the real savings are not that great. I know of shotgunners that have given up reloading because of WalMart. But there are exceptions.

I reload for a couple of obsolete cartridges. Factory loaded ammo can be found, but it costs an arm and a leg. Reloading for these definately saves a bunch of money. Plus it adds a gret deal of verstility. Old rounds are usually loaded with one or two projectiles at most. I can use any more available bullet.

Weatherby cartridges are steeply priced. I am sure that there can be some real financial rewards by rolling your own. But that would be only part of the reason to start reloading.
Old March 5, 2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Pointer

Thank you

Any sources of brass?

Dies?

Or even a person who will do some "work ups" for me?

Or a cheaper source of "factory" options... .300 and .340?

30-06 FOREVER
Old March 5, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Powderman

For brass, dies, and entire reloading setups:

www.midwayusa.com
or
www.grafs.com

Here's an example from Graf's; RCBS Turret Press Kit for 310.99:

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/606

This will give you everything you need to get started, except the dies:

RCBS Neck Sizers will run about $23.00 each, a full length die set in each caliber, about $27.00, from Graf's.

Hornady brass for the .300 Weatherby will cost you $26.00 for fifty cases;
.340 is a bit pricier.

Remember, though, that this is a one time expense; afterward, all you have to buy is powder, primers and bullets--and cases once in a while.
Old March 5, 2006, 10:27 PM   #5
tinman

try midwayusa.com . A quick look shows the weatherby 300 and 340 magnums. (340 was about $2 a pop for brass). They should have everything you need for a reasonable price

If you can't shoot quality, try quantity.
Old March 5, 2006, 10:46 PM   #6
roy reali

Re:pointer

I doubt that you will ever find Weatherby ammo on sale or at a discount price. I could be wrong, but the less common rounds rarely go on sale. Reloading would be the only way to save on these rounds.
Old March 5, 2006, 11:10 PM   #7
Leftoverdj

A quick look at my Sierra manual confirmed my memory that the .340 Weatherby is just the .300 case necked up. Since there is an outrageous price difference, I'd try that route.
Old March 5, 2006, 11:30 PM   #8
gschwertley

If you do any appreciable amount of shooting, you really answered the question yourself with that $55 per box price quote. With a per-box price like that, you will save money in no time. Proprietary brands like Weatherby make a lot of money off of their customers who don't reload (look at Lazzeroni too). Once you have the brass, you'll use it over and over, and you probably already have some from the $55 boxes you've bought. I've also seen it at the guns shows from time to time.
Old March 6, 2006, 01:23 AM   #9
trooper3385

I think the others have probably answered most of your questions so far. I reload for a 7mm Weatherby and it has saved me quite abit of cash. I was paying about $50 dollars a box for Weatherby brand ammo. I don't know if they still make them or not, but I bought a couple of boxes of Hornady ammo for under $30 dollars and they grouped better than the Weatherby ammo. I just checked the cabelas catalog and the Weatherby dies are the same price as the rest of the dies, so that should not be an issue. Out of cabelas, they run right at $24.99 for the full length dies. Might be able to find them cheaper at some of the other companies already listed. As for the brass, I'm not endorsing ebay, but they have alot of brass for auction for pretty good prices. I just checked out some brass for my 7mm Weatherby and it was alot cheaper than anywhere else. If your going to be doing much shooting at all with those Weatherby's, I would definetly start reloading for them. It will be cheaper and you will be able to customize your loads better. Also, if you still have all your Weatherby brass, start reloading that. Weatherby uses Norma brass which is top of the line brass. You should be able to shoot quite a few rounds through that before having to replace it.
Old March 6, 2006, 10:34 AM   #10
tapehoser

Pointer, I live in the Salt Lake Valley and reload for my 300 Weatherby. I am in the process of working up some loads for my gun using 180 grain Nosler Partitions.

The savings are there....and the accuracy you will gain reloading is something to behold. I would never buy 'Weatherby' brand stuff....way too pricey for what you get.

I got the dies at Sportsman's Warehouse in Midvale for $25. That's the 'everyday' price, too. For brass, bullets and powder, you might even find great prices at Cabela's in Lehi.

Lemme know if you got any more questions.
Old March 6, 2006, 01:00 PM   #11
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Pointer, several have given you places to buy the equipment. I won't get into that, as the businesses are all good established places to buy.

As for the "savings" bit... I will say that this is entirely dependent upon the equipment you buy and how much you actually shoot. Shoot a bunch, your savings will be good to great. Shoot only a little and you will not likely save anything.

But you specificly stated you wanted to load for accuracy. That's a whole 'nother ball game.

Now this is just my opinion, so take it for what you paid for it...

I have not found any manufactured ammunition to be as accurate as that which I load for myself. Manufactured ammo is loaded to meet the general specs of a particular caliber. Each rifle is different and will shoot differently. By handloading my own cartridges, I can and do tailor each load to that specific rifle. Whether I am developing hunting loads or target loads, no manufactured ammo compares, performance-wise, to what I can load.

So if it is accuracy you are after, then do not hesitate. Research what you want, buy the equipment, and start getting that last half-inch MOA that you can squeeze from your firearm.
Old March 6, 2006, 06:21 PM   #12
Pointer

To all...

Thank you for the wealth of info.

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker.

I haven't done any reloading for a really long time.

I would have to bring the equipment out of mothballs, create a space and set it up again.

It is good to know that I can get brass and thank you for the idea of up sizing the .300 brass to .340 to save money.

I don't shoot these big kickers much and once the correct recipes are worked up I won't be reloading more than once or twice a year...

You all have me pumped up though, and I think I'm gonna do it...

Thanks again fellas!

30-06 FOREVER
Old March 7, 2006, 10:04 AM   #13
jsflagstad

Midway

Go to midway for all your needs.

Actually, a couple of months ago I saw 300 Weatherby loaded ammo (Barnes X Bullets) on clearance for $15!!! My buddy bought a bunch just for the value of the brass. I don't shoot a 300WB, so I had no need for it.

JSF
Old March 7, 2006, 04:56 PM   #14
Pointer

I recieve an ads paper from Midway

There seems to be very little in it that amounts to very much

I must be missing something

??????????????????

30-06 FOREVER
Old March 7, 2006, 11:23 PM   #15
jsflagstad

No, I guess I must have missed something.....???

Point,

I thought that somewhere you posted that you had paid $55 for 20 rounds of Weatherby ammo?

Then I stated that I had found that Midway was selling 300 Weatherby ammo for $15 per box of 20. (Awesome Deal!)

Then you state that Midway savings really never amount to much?

$55-$15=$40 per box savings last time I checked the math....

JSF
Old March 11, 2006, 01:08 AM   #16
1911 Shooter

Academy Sports has some Federal 300, Wby mag,180 grain for $27. You could shoot that up & save the brass.. It is their everyday price.
Old March 12, 2006, 02:36 AM   #17
Pointer

sorry

Quote:
Then you state that Midway savings really never amount to much?
Misunderstanding

The paper I have been recieving in the mail has not been showing me much...

It isn't a catalog...

I have never seen the ad you spoke of so I don't know what kind of bullets or what weight they are or the brand etc...

30-06 FOREVER
Old March 12, 2006, 02:41 AM   #18
Pointer

Thank you all for the info on Weatherby ammo...

Today I sold the .340 and bought a lightweight Browning Composite in the...
.325 WSM for my son... He is tickled pink...

I will use your info for the .300 Weatherby we still have...

FYI I still have a bunch of once fired brass for the .340 and some live ammo as well...
If you live not too far from Salt Lake City and can make use of it...
PM me and we'll see what can be worked out...

Thank you all again...

30-06 FOREVER