The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 5, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1
KC400

Springfield 1898 Krag Questions

Looking for information on my Springfield 1898, numbers on it are 266427 with a 22 inch barrel. It looks as it might be a carbine, the barrel doesn't look to be cut but if it was, very herd to see any cut marks. The stock doesn't appear to be org. The barrel sight was taken off and has a flip rear sight.
Would like to see what people think it might be worth.
Thanks, KC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 144.jpg (240.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 142.jpg (239.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 143.jpg (244.6 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by KC400; February 5, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old February 5, 2012, 04:49 PM   #2
KC400

Here are some more pics

Added are some more pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 141.jpg (243.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 146.jpg (241.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 145.jpg (243.5 KB, 55 views)
Old February 5, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

The stock is definately not original. It is a rifle that someone turned into a hunting rifle. That kills a whole lot of the collector value. I would have it checked over by a gun smith if you plan on using it as a shooter.

If you are wanting to somewhat restore it the CMP was at one time selling off non firing models of the Krag Jogensen Springfield rifles. The stock, and sights could be used to return the rifle to near original as issued condition if it is rifle that has sentimental value.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new but it is not super valuable in the present state that it is in. For the most collector value it needs to be as it was orignaly issued with the same parts that it came out of the factory with, and in exelent to good condition for its age.

Though me personaly I would have it checked. If told it was still servicable to shoot I would shoot the snot out of it, if I could find brass for reloading for it.

Uppon seeing your second set of pics the good news is I see no indication that it was drilled for scope mounts. If the reciever has been drilled for them the value of it plummits. The stock while not the orignal looks like it was well made. I would keep it as a shooter piece. Maybe get a correct stock to replace the one on it for looks.
Old February 5, 2012, 05:56 PM   #4
KC400

What type of value do you think its worth? Even though its not org, I think it a cool piece and can't wait to get it checked out to put some rounds through her.
Old February 5, 2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Gary L. Griffiths

You have a sporterized 1898 Krag. The original barrel length was 30" with a soldered-on front sight base. Yours has been cut to 22" (the most common "carbine" and hunting rifle length) and an aftermarket front sight base sweated on. The stock is most likely a commercial one that looks like it was rather amateurishly checkered. Original stocks were straight, although some were altered with additional wood glued to form a curve.

If it's in good shootable condition it is worth something as a hunting rifle, and Krags in any kind of decent condition should be worth at least $500.00.

You can buy brass for it and reload, or you can use .303 British brass run through a .30-40 sizer and loaded with .308 bullets. Stick to mild to mid-pressure loads and the old girl will put venison in the pot for your grandkids.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old February 5, 2012, 06:45 PM   #6
KC400

Thanks. They still make rounds for it. Win and Rem make rounds with a 2430 fps. Not sure if thats too hot or not.
Old February 5, 2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Gary L. Griffiths

Factory loads should be just fine. Just don't exceed maximum loads if you're reloading for it. I would keep loads well down, say, about halfway between the "starting" load and the "maximum" load.

The .30-40 Krag is one of those cartridges that seems to kill far in excess of its paper ballistics. I would rather use it on deer, elk, or even bear, than a .308.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old February 5, 2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Gbro

Very nice looking sporter!
I have one also that has been sporterized. I bought it for a Grandson and he loves it. The serial is 1666xx and is in a straight stock. in fact I believe the original stock was reworked (shortened) on this one.
I am very interested in the rear sight on your rifle. This one has a full Buckhorn and its to far forward IMO
I paid $350.00 for it 4 years ago.
20 years ago Krag's were all over the place for under $200.00 and as soon as I got an itch for one the price jumped to the $800.00 range for a nice original.
At least my Grandson has a nice old barnacle forever!
This rifle Must have the record for the different cartridge names for it, From
.30-40 US Krag
.30-40 Krag, US Army
.30-40 Krag Army
.30-40 Krag
.30-40 Krag & Winchester
.30 USA
.30 M1892
.30 M1896
.30 M1898 .30 Flanged
.30 US Krag
.30 USA Army
.30 USA
.30 Krag
.30 Army
7.62 (Kal .30) US Krag Jorgensen M/93

Last edited by Gbro; February 5, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:59 PM   #9
KC400

Thanks. I picked it up at a gun show today for $200. I couldn't pass it for that. I bought it from an older gentleman that only had a few older guns, that I must say were priced very right as this one was. He said it was his uncles gun and had it ever since he can remember as a little boy. It seems pretty good operating condition, but i'm going to get it checked out before firing it.
Old February 5, 2012, 10:57 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

You have a very nice deer rifle there, looks like it should shoot well for another century. The action is slick and fast, it's light weight when cut down like it has been, and the cartridge is just fine for deer or black bear, even elk, out to 200 yards. Don't bother to scope it, if you need long range capability, get a modern cartridge and scope combination.

Value ? $200-$300, but for that kind of money, I'd keep it forever. Don't bother with a new stock unless you want another hunting stock on it. You'll need new stock, barrel, bands, sights, etc., etc., if you want to restore it to military condition, and it won't be worth what the parts cost, let alone the gunsmith labor to do it.
Old February 6, 2012, 04:27 AM   #11
gyvel

Quote:
and Krags in any kind of decent condition should be worth at least $500.00.

???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you're talking about ORIGINAL, unaltered Krags, and not bubba sporters.
Old February 6, 2012, 03:57 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

It would be fairly hard to find an original Krag in decent shape today for $500, but a sporterized one rarely brings that. Usually they go for $200-250 or less for the "bubba" jobs; a nice one can touch $500 or more, but only if the work was done by a good gunsmith and has nice wood and nice metal.

Jim