The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Nunya53

New Reloader Basics sticky

Ok, I'm new to reloading and have just read the New Reloader sticky above...so I have to ask, what are the "ole standby" powders for .45 ACP and .357 Mag? These are the two calibers I will begin reloading first. I'll be using a Lee 3 stage turret press with the auto-disk powder measurer.

Thanks,

Nunya
Old November 26, 2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Netzapper

Which reloading manuals do you have? I suggest you pick up two or three of them.

Then, cross reference them. Which powders appear in both manuals with decent velocities? Those are probably worth procuring. And I suggest you pick up two or three powders to start with. You're embarking on a course of experimentation, not just following directions to get a known-good product.

(Although you may find they still suck for some reason. For instance, Reloader-19 was listed quite highly for 7mm-08. But it turns out it doesn't meter to within even half a grain in my powder measure.)
Old November 26, 2009, 06:08 PM   #3
LHB1

For .45 ACP: Win 231 or Bullseye powders.

For .357 Mag: LIGHT target loads = Win 231.
MEDIUM loads = Unique.
HEAVY loads = 2400 or Win 296.

I echo the suggestion to get one or more reloading manuals and read/study carefully. LOTS of good information to be obtained from manuals.