The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 27, 2009, 04:37 PM   #1
11bravo_2papa

ccw during routine traffic stop

I work nights and drive home early in the morning after the bars close and there are alot of police out. I often carry and my question is what is the best thing to do if i get pulled over. Assuming i have committed no crime is it best to instantly devulge that fact that im carring or not? any opinions our better yet experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 27, 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

as long as you are legally carrying I think it depends on your state.
If not required I would not dvulge the info unless asked.
In Ohio you have to tell, and I do not mind that at all.
I wouldn't tell if you don't have to because I bet in states where it is not required LEO are not as aware of how common it is to have someone carrying.
Old February 27, 2009, 05:16 PM   #3
isanchez2008

I live in a state where it is not required to tell. I do anyway and have not had any issues. When pulled over I don't say "I have my gun". What I have done in the past is hand my concealed pistol license over at the same time as my drivers license with the c.p.l. on top. This usually gets the response of "is there a loaded gun in the car?". To this I say "Yes sir, it is in a holster on my right hip". They usually just say not to pull it out. Although there was a young looking stater who I could tell was a little nervous but everything went smooth. Been pulled over a few times but no tickets. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old February 27, 2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Texas Solo

It does vary from state to state. In Texas, you're only required to inform the officer IF YOU CARRYING AT THE TIME. However, he knows as soon as he runs your drivers license that you have a CHL. Then he says "why didn't you inform me?"
My CHL instructor said to always produce BOTH licenses, as a courtesy if nothing else.
Old February 27, 2009, 07:17 PM   #5
shortwave

Like johnwilliamson,I`m in Ohio as well. Law here says tell your carrying and I believe its a felony if you don`t. Your state may vary (as you can see) but more than likely this may have been covered in your ccw class. I`ve been stopped at night when ccw`ing. I have lic. and cc permit out(in left hand) and ready with hands in plain view( on top of steering wheel) when LEO approachs vehicle. Puts cop more at-ease,makes his/her job easier and I don`t want to be an accident. Have never had a problem.
Old February 27, 2009, 09:30 PM   #6
ElectricHellfire

Quote:
My CHL instructor said to always produce BOTH licenses, as a courtesy if nothing else.
This is what I was told as well. I've only been stopped once since and I did exactly that. Still got a ticket.
Old February 28, 2009, 09:55 AM   #7
treo

As has already been stated, you need to know your state law. I f you are legally required to inform, inform. Also as some others have said if you are going to inform the best way is to just hand over your CHP with the rest of your papers.

That said, if your state doesn’t require you to inform why would you? The criminals certainly won’t.
All informing does is give the cop one more task to accomplish before he/she can release you. I t also opens you up to all kinds of hassles if the cop you happen to inform is an anti. My rule is not to inform unless specifically asked.
Old February 28, 2009, 10:19 AM   #8
m.p.driver

Live in OHIO and have been pulled over one time since i got my license 5 years ago.Before i could even hand both of my licenses over, the officer asked if i had a weapon in the truck.If youre a ccw holder it seems its entered with the BMV.So i asked him why i need the ccw card ?add it as an endorsement on the drivers license and save $55 every four years.His reply was more money for the great state of OHIO.As stated in an earlier response we're required to inform the officer that we are armed or face arrest.
Old February 28, 2009, 10:53 AM   #9
mskdgunman

Fl has no requirement that you tell the officer about the weapon. However, as a cop, I always preferred it when folks told me about weapons in the vehicle or on their person. My reason was simple in that i don't like surprises. If the weapon is in the glove compartment and you happen to keep your registration/insurance I the same place, I'd like to know if before you open the glove compartment and have a weapon w/in reach.

If it's on your person, it's not a big deal (if you have a CWP) and I've probably stopped many folks who I never knew were carrying as I had no reason to get them out of the car or search them so it was not an issue. If I see you have a CWP, I'll probably ask if you are carrying. I'm not too worried about the foks that jump through the hoops to get CWP's although a couple of our local bad guys who have escaped the system so far have them too, so I err on the side of safety.

As has been pointed out, know your State laws and use common sense. Dont let an LEO get a glimpse of even a legaly carried weapon they don't know you have or have a permit for as the situation will immediately get rather tense. Even as an LEO, I have ALWAYS told any LEO's I was in contact with while off duty that I'm armed. Better safe then sorry and I can relate to their position.
Old February 28, 2009, 10:57 AM   #10
moccassins

I've gotten a speeding ticket and never bothered to tell them I'm armed or that I have a license to carry, if they don't ask I don't volunteer
Old February 28, 2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Creature

Here in VA there is no duty to inform LE during a traffic stop...despite what some local LEO's may try to tell you. My CCW # is attached to my DL# in the computer. And its is pretty easy to run a plate before even approaching a vehicle. So there is no reason for a LEO to be surprised when a CHL holder is packing. I have already had to spell it out once for a local LEO. I was polite. But I was right. And she knew she hadn't done her homework.

This is why I do not inform. I wont do their job for them.
Old February 28, 2009, 12:05 PM   #12
McM1900

I live in Ohio. By law a CHL holder must inform the LEO if he is armed. Failure to inform is a felony.

I travel a lot in PA as well. In PA there is no duty to inform. The only time in my life that I was pulled over I informed out of courtesy and not being 100% sure of the PA law. I was spread hands-out over the hood of my car, frisked by the officer, and my bag searched, given a third degree interrogation by Barney Fife, and had my private sale pistols ran through the PA gun registration system.

I will never ever inform again unless required by law. Ever.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:06 PM   #13
happy1

I live in Arizona and have a CCW we are required to inform the officer we have a loaded weapon in our car or on our person when we are stopped. But I would even if I wasn't required to do so, I like so many others I don't like surprises either. My Wife got into an accident last year when she informed the officer that she had a loaded weapon on her and showed him her CCW he was surprised, He told her that many people don't tell the police when they are required too.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:31 PM   #14
shortwave

McM1900, unless you have PA permit be careful traveling there. Don`t believe they(PA ) recognize`S Ohio ccp.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:25 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Courtesy can lead to a hassle

but by the same token, not informing the officer can lead to getting shot (worst case).

Quote:
All informing does is give the cop one more task to accomplish before he/she can release you. I t also opens you up to all kinds of hassles if the cop you happen to inform is an anti. My rule is not to inform unless specifically asked.
Not informing does one more thing, it tells the cop you are not being open and upfront with him. Officers are trained to "control the situation". And officer safety is a paramount issue. Telling the officer (handing them the permit, along with your drivers license) lets them know what the situation is, and they can "control" it easily. The permit gives them the heads up that you are not hiding anything, and therefor less likely to be a risk. Lots of times, they will just say "don't touch it", or something like that.

Not informing them, and haveing them discover it (see it) means they instantly assume the worst, simply for their own safety. Yes, you could be hassled by an officer with an anti-ccw agenda, but balance that against having a nervous (and maybe scared) cop draw down on you because he saw a gun.

I would inform the officer right away, and ask them how they wish you to proceed. Let them control the situation, and odds are they will feel better about it, thereby reducing your risk. You might still get the ticket, but to my mind, thats a lot better than a possibly fatal misunderstanding.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:26 PM   #16
JasonG

Ga doesn't require that you in form, but I often do.
My neighbor and I were out for our morning walk. A "black & white" rolled up and asked what we were up to. I stated "I'm carrying, 1 o clock." With my hands half raised. The LEO replied "got a permit?" my neighbor said "yep, so do I, mines SOB."
The oficer relaxed down into her seat and we chatted for a few.
My point is, always show respect for the LEO. Its better they find out early.
My work brings me into contact with a lot of officers. I usually inform when it quiet.
One knight after securing a building after a breakin, I told the investigating officer I was armed and permited. He told me "just keep it holstered." I think he was a bit suprised though when the other 3 guys an 1 gal all started pointing to various places and asking "do you need to see our permits" !!!!
However YMMV, this is Ga not Il,Oh,etc.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old February 28, 2009, 03:30 PM   #17
David Armstrong

Quote:
However, as a cop, I always preferred it when folks told me about weapons in the vehicle or on their person. My reason was simple in that i don't like surprises.
AFAIK, that has been the nearly unanimous viewpoint of LEOs in the field. you may not have to tell under the law, but it is important to keep the friendly LEO friendly. Failing to tell us about things like that can create some questions about you, rightly or wrongly. As Jason said, it is a matter of respect.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:38 PM   #18
Creature

So not telling automatically makes me disrespectful?...which in turns changes how I should be "dealt with"?
Old February 28, 2009, 03:45 PM   #19
David Armstrong

Quote:
So not telling automatically makes me disrespectful?...which in turns changes how I should be "dealt with"?
Having read through this thread twice now, I'm not aware of anyone who has said anything close to that.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:52 PM   #20
Creature

Quote:
but it is important to keep the friendly LEO friendly. Failing to tell us about things like that can create some questions about you, rightly or wrongly. As Jason said, it is a matter of respect.
then what does this mean ?
Old February 28, 2009, 04:33 PM   #21
Glenn E. Meyer

These threads usually have at their core a little bit of male posturing and refusal by some to accept the practical as compared to trying to maintain some dominance couched in a nuance of the law.

How dare the police disrespect me - how dare they take off my roscoe - I am a lesser man (or woman) without my roscoe. The law may say I can hold on to my big roscoe and not have to take out my big roscoe for them to hold.

However, I am schooled in understanding aggression and keys for it. I am cognizant of how police interactions can go awry. You don't know if the officer you are dealing with is under stress or whatever. Being surprised by your roscoe might scare him or her or make him or her angry.

As we see in self-defense classes, where roscoes of lethal force might be exposed, sometimes acting on pride or posturing is not wise. You can give ground if you want to avoid the thunder of the Roscoe.
Thus, it is a little inconvenience to avoid the officer taking a range of unpleasant actions for whatever reason. I tell them of the roscoe. I opine that puffing up about the legal issue just masks the true dominance conflict.

Another version is the one where after you have righteously shot a BG with your tricked out supergun. The law arrives and not being sure that you are the righteous defender of the truth sez: Drop it!

You posture to say - Why, I will tell the officer that I will carefully put down my roscoe. They should realize it is a quality roscoe and I am a good and righteous wielder of the roscoe. But then they might shoot you.

Seriously, if you understand the dynamics of lethal force, you want to minimize risk. If you don't want to, accept the risk. Gun in your ear or worse hollowpoint in your butt.
Old February 28, 2009, 08:29 PM   #22
McM1900

I couldn't find the "quote"option, but I also have the PA non-res permit.
Old February 28, 2009, 08:39 PM   #23
McM1900

I don't carry a 'roscoe'; sorry 'gun'/firearm'/'pistol' to feel like more or less of anything. I do not ask for, or expect, any special favors because of it.

I also do not ask to be proned out over the hood of my vehicle three feet away from 55 mph traffic, frisked, my possessions seized and searched merely because I am in possession of and legally carrying a firearm. Or is that SOP for all traffic stops? I wouldn't know, I've only pulled over once in my thirty-some years.

Even better was when he handed my unloaded, disassembled pistol back to me and told be 'reload it later... somewhere else'.

Voluntarily inform unless required by law? Never again.
Old February 28, 2009, 08:56 PM   #24
Wagonman

It means the Copper has discretion, and you want the discretion to work in your favor.

But, let your conscience be your guide.

I wish that all of the CCW states would just standardize the informing of Police regarding CCWs---I am sure it is on computer when you are ran.
Old February 28, 2009, 10:58 PM   #25
treo

Quote:
Not informing does one more thing, it tells the cop you are not being open and upfront with him
I'm not legally required to be "open & upfront" W/him in regards to my CHP status. I carry concealed in such a way that the chance of the officer seeing the weapon is almost nil therefore there is no benefit to me in informing. Now to be perfectly clear if it became obvious that my weapon was going to be found (I.E I'm asked to step out of the vehicle) I would inform. I would also inform if specifically asked. Beyond that I see no benefit in volunteering information during a traffic stop.

Quote:
My neighbor and I were out for our morning walk. A "black & white" rolled up and asked what we were up to. I stated "I'm carrying, 1 o clock." With my hands half raised. The LEO replied "got a permit?"
Different mind set, in that situation the first words out of my mouth would be "Officer, am I free to go" Followed by "Thank you good day" or "I'm not comfortable answering any questions" depending on the answer.
Closed Thread