The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 6, 2013, 02:05 PM   #26
Auto426

I'm pretty sure there won't be the same rush on bolt actions that AR's are currently experiencing. Even with all of the insane new gun regulations liberals are asking for, bolt actions will be left alone since they aren't semi-autos and they aren't high capacity. You have plenty of time to read up on the various models and learn what's what.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:06 PM   #27
customaquatics

but also there was a so called sniper rifle ban i read about cause they "shoot really far" an about how much should i be paying on a basic R-700 in 300 win? an the cheapest i found was a R-770 at budsgunshop for $309 an it has a boresighted 3x9-40 scope with it.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:28 PM   #28
sc928porsche

Yes, the Remington 700 is still a good product.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:20 PM   #29
steveNChunter

Order a Howa (pretty much same as weatherby vanguard) barreled action for less than $400 and put it in the stock of your choice. Best bang for the buck I know of and you can actually get a decent stock that way instead of the crap they put on most entry level bolt actions. I get 3/4" groups out of my Howa .25-06 in a Hogue full-length bedding block stock and Im not the best shooter. My total investment with that gun minus the scope is about $550 and the Howa has one of the most reliable actions you can buy in any price range. If you want a complete gun with stock and all, the Stevens 200 from Savage is nothing less than a pre- accutrigger/accustock savage 110, a very proven and upgradeable platform. The Thompson Center Venture is also hard to beat. Ruger American is also a good rifle. Marlin x7 aint bad. Remington has a new model 783 that looks pretty much like a revamped Marlin x7. Should be a decent rifle. View the available calibers in each brand and let that help you decide. Whatever you do, stay away from the Savage Axis/Edge and the Remington 770. They are both cheap junk and what I would consider disposable firearms. And dont buy ANY GUN from walmart. Your getting factory seconds and guns with second rate materials and craftsmanship just so the company that built it can meet the price point walmart wants. A Walmart gun is not the same gun you can get from a legit dealer or gun shop.

Last edited by steveNChunter; January 6, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:44 PM   #30
Idashot1k

I personally would never buy a remington. They have good asethic qualities, but they commonly lack in accuracy (from my expirience).

There are a number of other options that i would strongly encourage.
It really depends on what you price range is and what you're using it for...

I have a marlin xs7 bbl 22-250 that i got for around $300, its first group was
.72 inches at 200 yards.

My savage edge (25-06) with its first handload shot 1/2 at 100.

For more money...

I had a Vanguard S2 that would shoot sub MOA at 100 on every 3rd grouping (shots 7-9).

If i wanted to spend more dough I'd prefer a savage of some sort- the weatherwarrior or a 110. They are known to shoot sub MOA almost without fail.

My friend's $800 remington wont shoot under 2 inches at 100. He had bought it after having similair groups punched with his Tikka. Now he's spent 100's of dollars without getting anywhere.

Your mosin is astoundingly accurate. To buy a remington would be a real slap in the face.

The cheap guns are proven to be just as accurate (customs aside). With the extra dough they can be customized
Old January 6, 2013, 10:04 PM   #31
reynolds357

I have never really had any accuracy problems with Remingtons that were not cured with bedding. Savage is my favorite brand, but I have some nice tack driving Remingtons as well. My fall out with Remington was over that stupid safety key thing they came out with. It was the most assanine idea in the history of firearms.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:57 PM   #32
tobnpr

Owning a .300 WM is one thing...
Being able to shoot it accurately, quite another.

Nothing wrong with wanting something to slam your shoulder if that's what you're into...

But there's plenty of other choices for 1,000 and less that'll do the job just as well without punishing your shoulder, or perhaps more importantly, your wallet...

Whatever floats your rifle...
Old January 7, 2013, 10:10 PM   #33
steveNChunter

I agree with tobnpr. Unless you are hunting long range elk or something of that nature, .300 win mag is serious overkill. If youre like the majority of hunters in North America, Im guessing you will be hunting deer sized game. If so, here is my two cents worth on the bolt-action calibers i would suggest. Im sure one of these would fit almost anyone's needs for deer: .25-06rem, .270win, .260rem, 7mm-08, .243win, 6.5x55 swede, 6.5 creedmore. And if youre looking at used stuff throw in the 6mm remington. Thats just a few popular ones off the top of my head but anything much bigger than a .270 for deer is a total waste. 300wms have their following and if thats what your heart is set on then go for it. They just never have done anything special for me in my little corner of the world.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:17 AM   #34
customaquatics

well i guess my voage for a .300 Win Mag is the same reason some people buy the AR-15 an tatical's them all up an buys the 62 grain 5.56 Nato steel penatrator. to own the same stuff the military plays with. i mean you have the capability to shoot with the same stuff they do.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:32 AM   #35
tobnpr

Had the same discussion with my son the other night re: 2nd Amendment, and the right to bear arms against a tyrannical government.

While in the past, the citizenry has been able to match the government "mol" in terms of weaponry, as my son aptly put it..

"So, Dad... you have a SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) somewhere?"

The ability to be able to balance power (which is the way I interpret one of the meanings of the 2nd Amendment) has gotten grossly out of balance since the days of our Founders, since probably the middle of the 20th century.

Not suggesting that the citizenry be armed with laser guided JDAMS, just saying...

As far as being able to "shoot with the same stuff they do", it pretty much ends with handguns, semi-auto versions of their select fire assault weapons (AR's are not assault rifles, I wish someone would point this out to the media), and long guns. But hey, we gotta keep the rights, we have...
Old January 8, 2013, 02:37 PM   #36
customaquatics

as you said a SAW i did see in a Shotgun News magazine you can buy semi-auto versions of that for around $13k from OHIOORDANANCEWORKS.com an a select fire grip for $500.