The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2012, 10:53 PM   #1
nickkre

Browning A5 Light Twelve I.D.

I need some help. I am trying to I.D. my Browning A5 Light Twelve. It is stamped that it's made in Belgium. I'm considering selling it and want to know I'm getting a fair price. I've seen the serial number site on Browning's website and still can't seem to find the right info. The serial number has a 6G on top then a 5 digit number below starting in 64. What year is it? Is there anything special about this one? What's a decent price range for this gun, depending on condition. I live in Colorado. What's the best way to sell it, private or sell to a dealer/store? Thanks for any help, I'm pretty lost.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:41 AM   #2
mitchntx

Can't help you with dating your gun, but I can give you a fata point.

I have a 26" Browning A5 Light 12. It's at 90-92%, the Japanese version and I got it for less than $400.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:33 AM   #3
ZeroJunk

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...tail.asp?id=13

I can't make much out of it either. Maybe some of these other guys can.

If you want to make top dollar you need to sell it yourself. Easiest way is to get set up on one of the on line auction sites like Gunbroker.com.

That will be some effort for just one gun. So, word of mouth or maybe a gun shop that sells on 15% or so consignment might work better.

Just selling outright to a gun shop will get you the least money since their only interest is going to be reselling at a profit.

Last edited by ZeroJunk; December 19, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:59 PM   #4
PetahW

Your Light 12 was made in 1966.

Value is commensurate with it's condition (as compared to new/unaltered) - which you haven't mentioned.

If you can get $350-400 for it, I'd advise you take the money & run - since 12's simply don't bring the same money that, say, a 20ga in the same condition does.

Old December 20, 2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Scorch

PetahW is right, and the fact that the market for Auto-5s went soft about 10 years ago. Unless it is a remarkable specimen it is worth about $350-$400.

Tags
belgium browning a5