The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old September 7, 2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Perleyu

Rifle Scopes

Hello. If limited funds are the norm, what would be recommended for an inexpensive yet usable scope. I have an older Savage bolt action 30-30 that I bought last winter. I'd like to hunt with a scope this fall. At 70 years my eyes don't work like they used to and I have diabetic damage in them. Many thanks in advance. Perley
Old September 7, 2013, 02:16 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Perley, I'm somewhat famailiar with that gun. A friend of mine recently acquired one and he's been playing with it with cast bullets, powders, etc. It actually shoots pretty good but has a tendency to lead in the throat area quite a bit. I'd suggest for hunting you stay with jacketed bullets to start with. As far as a scope goes, for hunting with a 30-30, if it were me I'd stick with a straight 4x scope. No one likes fixed power scopes anymore. I think everyone thinks that if you have a mini Hubble on your gun you can shoot further and more accurately. If you're hunting for deer, bear, other mid sized game, a 4x is about perfect. Lots of field of view and more than enough power for any distance you'll be shooting at hunting. I'd take a good look at a Bushnell or Burris myself. Both offer decent quality in their mid-priced scopes. I'd stay away from the under a hundred buck scopes since they rarely hold up for long and aren't the best optics in the world. Nikon makes some decent glass also and has mid ranged prices on some decent models. Good luck.
Old September 7, 2013, 09:17 PM   #3
big al hunter

On a budget I would go with Vortex Crossfire or Nikon Prostaff. Here is a link to the vortex site. http://www.vortexoptics.com/category...II_riflescopesand one for Nikon http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/N...-Nikoplex.html
I would also recommend a low power, 3x-9x 40 will handle anything the 30-30 can be used for and more.

Also look through the scopes side by side to make sure they do what you need them to.
Old September 7, 2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Good used" has worked pretty well for me, off and on through the decades. And, really, a Weaver K-4 or equivalent will do as good as anything for deer hunting.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:31 PM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
inexpensive yet usable scope.
The scope I have on my deer rifle has helped put the bullets on deer since the mid 1980's .... and can be had on E-bay for about $35 ......

Is it the best? No.

Usable? Certainly.

I sincerly doubt that any to the deer, coyotes or prairie dogsI have shot with it would be any deader had I used glass costing 20 or 30 times as much.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Rikakiah

I'd second what big al said. Something along the lines of a 3-9x40 should give you about all the versatility you really need and nowadays there's a lot of quality economical offerings in that range, too.

Also, looking through them first is great advice. Although you can't really go wrong with a Nikon. I've got a $200 2-7 Nikon on my .22 I'm very satisfied with. My Weaver looks great, too, but it's a bit pricier so not sure how their cheaper glass is.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:26 AM   #7
HiBC

I'd look at e-bay,at least.

A used Leupold still is under Leupolds service policy.

There are a lot of Weavers,and a fair number of Denver Redfields.

Opinions wll vary,but mine is this.If you are shooting a 30-30 you are unlikely to be shooting much over 150 yds,maybe 200,stretching it.

IMO,a fixed 2.5 x,or 3x,would be plenty.4x tops.I would not look for a variable on a budget.

If you can find a one piece Weaver base,you will likely get good ring alignment,and it will be trouble free.Weaver rings are cheap,light,and strong.

On e-bay,there are a few dealers with new old stock in the Weaver mounts/rings.I'm not sure how lo-scope friendly a 340 bolt handle is,look into that before you spend money.Mount your scope as low as the bolt handle will let you.

You might try pricing the new Weavers,Redfieds,etc in a 3x You might find a pretty reasonable price.

You will want to be able to close your eyes,shoulder the rifle,open your eyes,and be looking through the scope,clear and centered.For this season,that might mean putting alittle foam pipe insulation over the stock comb and wrapping tape over it.(ugly?yeah.You do not have a lot of time for pretty right now.It comes off.)Or making something of leather.

And,do not get the scope too near your eye.The scope will cut you during recoil if you are too close.

Good luck!
Old September 8, 2013, 01:19 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

I would also recommend something in the 2.5x - 4x range for the .30-30. Weaver has some decent scopes like the K4 and V1-3 variable, both for about $150-$170.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 8, 2013, 10:24 AM   #9
HiBC

I did a search on "Savage 340 scope mount" You do not say yours is a 340,but what I found fits some other models.

It looks like you need a side mount.From comments and reviews,I'd say an old Weaver mount is not the best way.

B-Square makes one,available at Midway,in stock,and there is a Sun brand,Amazon will get you there.

Apparently,if its an old model 340,the hole pattern could be wrong.Otherwise,you use existing holes.
Old September 8, 2013, 01:17 PM   #10
sc928porsche

Its a 30-30 so its not a long range cartridge. There are a lot of 3x9 scopes out there that will do the job. Even the cheap ones. Just leave the power setting to 3 or 4. Keep in mind that the larger the objective (x32...x40....x44...x50) will give you a larger field of view. You should be able to find a scope for it for a little under $100.
Old September 8, 2013, 01:41 PM   #11
jimbob86

Quote:
You will want to be able to close your eyes,shoulder the rifle,open your eyes,and be looking through the scope,clear and centered.
+1.

Having good cheek to stock contact while maintaining sight alignment helps not only in target aquisition speed, but also in the percieved recoil departement, as well....

Quote:
For this season,that might mean putting a little foam pipe insulation over the stock comb and wrapping tape over it.(ugly?yeah.You do not have a lot of time for pretty right now.It comes off.)Or making something of leather.
There are several different "comb raising kits" available at Brownells ..... Beartooth Products makes the one I use ....... another is "Scope-Eze" ...... and then there are various lace on versions in both leather and nylon.......

Quote:
Keep in mind that the larger the objective (x32...x40....x44...x50) will give you a larger field of view.
A larger objective will give you a higher sight line, as well, requiring a higher comb rise ......

Lower power will also give a larger field of view...... and I see no reason to put anything over 4X on a gun that is really only effective for 150-200 yards.

Eldest daughter uses a 2X pistol scope, forward mounted ..... and even as low as that sits, it required almost an inch of comb rise from the sight line of the irons.

Last edited by jimbob86; September 8, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old September 8, 2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Bushnell Trophy is a decent scope that usually can be bought new under 100.00 if you check around for Fall sales and are interested in a 3-9 variable- scope. Or a used Bushnell Banner that was made in Japan have pretty good glass in them. Be careful of less expensive scopes made in China or 3rd World Country's.
Old Savage model 340 bolts are indeed a good rifle. But since 100 yards for these old eyes is about Max for me. I would try and find a good used 2-1/2 power Bushnell Banner w/post & cross-hair.
Good eye relief. Easy to focus and its post is so easy to pick up on when light is marginal at best. {it has a small reflector running up & down the center of its post.} I found that reflector came in handy more than once on my 30-06 carbine. Again a Bushnell Banner 2-1/2 power w/Post & Cross-hair. Made in Japan. A perfect fit for us guys with tired old eyes and the patience of a Oak.
Old September 8, 2013, 04:42 PM   #13
fatwhiteboy

I have a Savage 340 in .30-30 with a Weaver 4X fixed power. It is more than adequate....
Old September 8, 2013, 09:20 PM   #14
ZeroJunk

I have a good friend who was about as good at shooting deer as anybody you ever saw and he used some Tasco that was like $49 at the time.

But, really good glass is a little addictive. Not that you will kill any more game with it, but there is something about looking through a Swarovski close to dark and saying WOW.
Old September 9, 2013, 02:51 AM   #15
Todd1700

Tough to say without knowing your exact budget for a scope. I call a cheap scope something in the 180 dollar range while to some people that term means a 40 dollar scope. But I'll second the lower end Nikons like a Prostaff as a decent value for your buck. Swift also makes some decent low end scopes.

Also, since this is a 30-30 rifle I'd strongly consider a fixed power scope like the Weaver K series Art mentioned. You aren't going to be taking 300+ yard shoots with a 30-30 anyway. (at least I hope not) Fixed power scopes are less complicated internally and therefore tend to be more reliable than variable power scopes in the same price range. And I have never had a problem shooting out to 200 yards with even a 4 power scope.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:20 AM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I always keep a variable on its lowest power unless I'm sitting in a blind. I want the maximum field of view when walking-hunting or sneaky-snaking.

Why not? My 350-yard one-shot kill was with a 3x9 set on 3X, and I hit within an inch or so of my intended place.

Budget limited? I'd check out a gunshow and bargain for any decent-brand used 4X. The "homework" would be checking out online prices for new scopes, and maybe carrying a list to the show.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:56 AM   #17
BoogieMan

I dont know your budget or what you consider to be inexpensive. Weaver, Redfield, Nikkon all seem to make nice budget minded scopes.
I also just bought a muzzloader with a Konus on it. I had anticipated upgrading it but I like it so much its staying. You may want to consider Konus also. Here is a link for a 30-30 based reticle Konus at $39.99. http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/489...-reticle-matte
I would second someones suggestion of the fixed 4x. My Marlin 30-30 wears an old Bushnell and its true tack driver after many years of service.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 9, 2013, 05:57 PM   #18
EYEheartGUNS

I myself like to get the most for my money without breaking the bank. I like weavers, Redfield,and bushnell elites, or if I'm in a real pinch just about any Japanese made Bushnell, tasco, or Simmons are a great bang for the buck. Got a Simmons aetec at a fun show this weekend 6-20x50 for my target .22. Went way beyond my expectations for the $100 I paid. Clear all the way up to 20x. I have to admit though, as long as its not one of my long range toys I do have a soft spot for the old jap made scopes. The modern Chinese made "economy scopes" are just paper weights in my eyes. When it comes to optics you get what you pay for. My old 4-12x50 Japanese tasco euro class definitely gets 2 thumbs up for clarity and overall quality, 30mm tube also. +1 with what Todd said about the fixed power scopes too.

Last edited by EYEheartGUNS; September 9, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old September 9, 2013, 06:29 PM   #19
4runnerman

Another vote for a 3-9 here too. Best deer scope you can get.
Old September 10, 2013, 09:36 PM   #20
reynolds357

Why is a 3-9 a better deer scope than a 2-10?
Old September 11, 2013, 04:15 AM   #21
HiBC

Everyone gets to have their own preference.
A 340 Savage is a trim,no-nonsense 30-30 hunting rifle.
The OP gentleman has made it to his 70's using iron.
Light,simple,optically forgiving,low cost,rugged,and NEVER twisted to the wrong power,a good used Weaver,Leupold,or Redfield,or other good quality 2.5 to 4x fixed power scope makes sense.

Folks,I'm using a 2.5x Lyman Alaskan on my 1903A4 clone for antelope this year,post and crosshair reticle.

For at least 50 years,a Weaver K-4 has been perfectly adequate scope on a 30-06 elk rifle.

Please explain to me the practical application for 9x to 10x on a 30-30 deer hunting.

With reasonable quality optics,a 4x scope will see well enough to shoot prairie dogs at 200 yds,no problem.How would it be inadequate for deer at less than 200 yds?

I'm not saying "buy this scope",its just one of several options
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REDFIELD-FRO...item2c728315a5

Mount and ring option

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/146...vage-340-matte

Brand new lifetime warrantee Weaver k-4 Classic

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174...-reticle-matte

Last edited by HiBC; September 11, 2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old September 11, 2013, 05:18 AM   #22
4runnerman

Let me reword that Reynolds. I meant a low power as apposed to a high power scope. 3-9 has been the go to for ????30 plus years. I would bet it is the most common scope power in history. Ranging any where from BB guns to 22, to high power deer rifles.
Old September 11, 2013, 08:37 AM   #23
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Everyone gets to have their own preference.
A 340 Savage is a trim,no-nonsense 30-30 hunting rifle.
The OP gentleman has made it to his 70's using iron.
Light,simple,optically forgiving,low cost,rugged,and NEVER twisted to the wrong power,a good used Weaver,Leupold,or Redfield,or other good quality 2.5 to 4x fixed power scope makes sense.

Folks,I'm using a 2.5x Lyman Alaskan on my 1903A4 clone for antelope this year,post and crosshair reticle.

For at least 50 years,a Weaver K-4 has been perfectly adequate scope on a 30-06 elk rifle.

Please explain to me the practical application for 9x to 10x on a 30-30 deer hunting.

With reasonable quality optics,a 4x scope will see well enough to shoot prairie dogs at 200 yds,no problem.How would it be inadequate for deer at less than 200 yds?
Well stated my friend. I once witnessed a gentleman shoot a groundhog at a measured 600 yds with a 4x scope! Not saying he could repeat it again but the fact of the matter is he was aiming at it and hit it. That scope was a Weaver K4 and he could see the woodchuck through the scope and make the shot. This Hubble envy is out of control. More power doesn't make you shoot better. At a certain point, for hunting, it's not only useless, it's detrimental.
Old September 11, 2013, 11:48 AM   #24
4runnerman

Well stated my friend. I once witnessed a gentleman shoot a groundhog at a measured 600 yds with a 4x scope! Not saying he could repeat it again but the fact of the matter is he was aiming at it and hit it. That scope was a Weaver K4 and he could see the woodchuck through the scope and make the shot

Ummm Ahhh. OK. This was a 4 power scope?. Could see the chuck at 600 yards?. Was aiming at it?. Umm- Not sure I can choke that one down. Must have been one BIG chuck out there. Crosshairs must have covered the whole thing.
Buy hey-Anything is possable i guess.

Last edited by 4runnerman; September 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old September 11, 2013, 11:57 AM   #25
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Well stated my friend. I once witnessed a gentleman shoot a groundhog at a measured 600 yds with a 4x scope! Not saying he could repeat it again but the fact of the matter is he was aiming at it and hit it. That scope was a Weaver K4 and he could see the woodchuck through the scope and make the shot

Ummm Ahhh. OK. This was a 4 power scope?. Could see the chuck at 600 yards?. Was aiming at it?. Umm- Not sure I can choke that one down. Must have been one BIG chuck out there. Crosshairs must have covered the whole thing.
Buy hey-Anything is possable i guess.
You're believing it or not isn't a requirement as to whether or not it's true. There are competitors shooting open sights (Soule and Vernier) with single shot black powder rifles at 600 yds and getting six inch groups. You need to get out more or become better informed. Right now, your opinion is just that, your opinion.
Closed Thread