The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 20, 2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Nortonics

Ed's Red storage and use container?

Darn glad I read closer before before mixing my first load ever of Ed's Red!

As detailed in the instructions:

Quote:
Use a clean 1 gallon metal, chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are also OK. Do NOT use HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will eventually evaporate. The acetone in ER will also attack HDPE, causing the container to collapse, making a heck of a mess!
Don't go after the plastic paint buckets with the heavy duty snap tops like you see at the Home Depot's and Menard's stores. I did, the two gallon size, thinking it would be the perfect size as well as a good way to stop evaporation, especially since I'll be incorporating the Acetone.

I keep getting this nagging feeling, so I go down and take a close look at this paint bucket before using it, and what do I see imprinted right into the plastic?

Ya know, I read in one of these on-line forums around here just the other day where someone posted that they used one of these containers and "it works just great!", and yes, he was using the Acetone. Bet he don't feel that way in a month or two. Just goes to show we need to always be smarter in this world of experts...

So what's available that's safe that has similar dimensions so I don't have to keep transporting it between containers? I want to pop a lid, clean my parts in that container, then snap the lid back in place until next time. Transporting between two different containers - one for storage and one for actual cleaning is not my idea of a good time...
Old February 20, 2006, 10:36 PM   #2
918v

I use the same container the acetone came in.
Old February 21, 2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Nortonics

Answered my own question:

Must have missed these at Home Depot - about $3 with the lid...
Old February 24, 2006, 06:41 PM   #4
Sport45

Quote:
I use the same container the acetone came in.
I do to. On the bottom it's clearly labled "HDPE". Go figure....

If acetone comes in HDPE bottles, why can't we use them for Ed's Red?

Added on edit: I've searched chemical compatability for HDPE and acetone is definately not recommended. The best rating I could find is "fair". My "100% Pure Acetone" nail polish remover definately came in a HDPE bottle. I don't think it would be cost effective for a manuafcturer to internally coat a plastic bottle so the HDPE must hold acetone for a while. This bottle had been setting on my garage shelf for over a year 1/2 full of acetone.

Last edited by Sport45; February 25, 2006 at 12:13 PM.