The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 15, 2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Okcafe86

Sp2022

I didn't know about these things up until a few days ago. Have to say I was excited, I really want to get my hands on one. Does anyone have any experience with them?
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old August 15, 2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Hurryin' Hoosier

Good pistol if you're a fan of polymer frames (which I am not).
Old August 15, 2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Okcafe86

Polymer doesn't bother me. The interesting thing was the hammer on a polymer gun.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old August 15, 2014, 08:11 PM   #4
Hurryin' Hoosier

True. That's contrary to the current fad, isn't it?

I had one for some time before our son-in-law talked me out of it. It was very low recoil and more accurate than me!
Old August 15, 2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Okcafe86

Most of my pistols are south of the Mason-Dixon Line right now. ( pain to travel with all my weapons being in military) I just got a second p89... The first being down south still...haha. I'm planning on trading that up once I save up some funds. If I can only keep the old lady off my back...
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old August 15, 2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Knightsofnee

While you're looking, look for a CZ 07 or CZ 09. More hammer fired polymer goodness.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:26 AM   #7
Okcafe86

I was looking at the cz 75. The only reason I'm shying away now is I heard European 9mm have larger bores; .357-.358. I've been shooting lead lately and my investment has been in .356.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old August 16, 2014, 08:37 AM   #8
Knightsofnee

I recently bought a CZ 75B Omega (the same trigger that's in the polymer P series). It is a fantastic pistol. The gang over at CZforum should be able to answer your bullet sizing question.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Knightsofnee

I typed "trigger" when I should have typed "fire control system". The actual triggers are different and some don't care for the extra curvy 75B Omega trigger. I like it but I have boney fingers.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:50 AM   #10
noonesshowmonkey

The SP2022 is a nice handgun. I was shopping for a high-cap .40 cal, mid sized handgun, and the SP2022 was on a short list including the FNX-40, Cz P-07, and the Sig P229. I also handled an USPc .40 that I really liked. After coming across a good deal, I ended up with the P229. I would strongly suggest that you consider the handguns listed here, as they are all competitive in terms of features, ergonomics, fit & finish, and overall engineering. The Cz P-07 is probably what I would have gotten if I hadn't found the deal that I did on the P229.

The Sp2022 has all of the fine features of a Sig. It is tight, well engineered, has clean ergonomics (unfortunately, they are not ambidextrous. To be fair, on my list only the FNX was ambi), and is extremely accurate. The Sp2022's slide stop is a different design than the P series, and resembles that of a H&K P30. Also, the classic Sig decocker is usually two stages--one active click at full bottom, indicating that the decocker is engaged, and a second click near the top as the hammer drops--but the 2022's is only a single stage. There is only a positive, mechanical indication of decock at the bottom of the throw, and the hammer releases immediately. This is not a problem, but it is a departure from the P series design. The trigger is very similar to a P series, with a long, heavy double action pull, and a clean single action. Many people claim that the 2022 has a nicer trigger, in that it resembles the Short Reset Trigger package that the P-E2 series handguns had. This is now a standard feature across P series handguns. All the same, it is a clean, nice trigger, with a short reset, reliable pull, clear break, and smooth action.

Right now, Sig is running a promo. You can send in papers from a new pistol and get two magazines free. These are ~$45 retail, so the Sp2022, often had for ~$400, is an even more attractive deal at $310.

If I had the cash laying around, I'd buy one right now.
Old August 16, 2014, 09:40 AM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okcafe86 View Post
Polymer doesn't bother me. The interesting thing was the hammer on a polymer gun.
HK has been doing polymer framed hammer guns since at least 1993. FN has been doing them for a while as well. To me the selling point of the SP2022 is the price that is a result of the huge contracts the SP2022 has.
Old August 16, 2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Okcafe86

I haven't really looked at hk. As much as I'd love to own one, they are out of my price range right now.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old August 16, 2014, 09:59 AM   #13
noonesshowmonkey

The FNX can be had for under $600. The Cz P07 is usually ~$400. I just saw a P229 go for under $600, lightly used, on Gunbroker.
Old August 16, 2014, 10:03 AM   #14
Hurryin' Hoosier

"I was looking at the cz 75. The only reason I'm shying away now is I heard European 9mm have larger bores; .357-.358. I've been shooting lead lately and my investment has been in .356."

Hmmm, I've never heard that. I currently have a CZ 75 Compact and a Beretta Commercial M9 (which is same-same their Italian-made 92FS), both in 9MM Luger. Both are perfectly happy with Winchester 124 grain ball.

There is a difference between American and European ammo in some calibers, but only in that the European stuff tends to be a bit "hotter" and some have a slightly bigger extractor groove on the cases.
Old August 16, 2014, 10:05 AM   #15
sigarms228

LOVE my SP2022. It is a terrific pistol and IMO possibly the best bargain in a quality pistol. It holds it own extremely well against my other SIGs and HKs in every regard. No changeable backstraps but there are at least three different grips for it. Extremely durable steel chassis inside that poly frame that the slide rides on. Not a light pistol as far as poly frame pistols go but built like a tank.

Old August 16, 2014, 10:48 AM   #16
WVsig

The SP2022 is a modern poly gun which was developed from the orginal Swiss/German SigPro line for the French Police services. It was put into service in 2002 and will be used for 20 years which is why it is named the SP2022. They used to be made in Germany. These came with triple serial numbers on the frame/barrel and slide. A lot of contract overruns where brought into the country and sold for around $400 with night sights and 3 magss. These are highly prized. These guns have a internal extractor and a glossy black Ifflon finish vs the more common nitron.

Sig sold a lot of these but they saw a niche and won a few US contracts and moved production to the US. They made some modification like an external extractor, small & medium grips with an internal laynard loop and few mim parts changes and you now have Exter Sp2022. They now ship with a single mag and contrast sights but at a sub $400 price point are still a great value.

The Sig Pro line and the SP2022 have a different trigger feel and design than the classic P series. It has a long but smooth DA trigger that has a revolver feel to it. It then resets nicely to a SA trigger which is similar to the P series guns but have a longer reset than the P series IMHO. For some people the length of the pull in the DA mode takes some getting used to. It is exceptionally clean just long.

They of course are 15+ 9mm capacity guns and Mecgar makes a nice 17 round extended mag as well. This makes the grip much larger than the P6. It comes with 2 grips a medium and a shot and most come with a short trigger installed. You can get a large grip from Sig for extra coin but most people seems to like the SM or MD.

They still have that high bore axis and looks like Sigs. You get a standard rail which many people like. The original Sig Pros had a propriety rail. The standard finish these days is Nitron like most other Sigs. Mags are not cheap but can be found for $30 in most areas or online. The 17+1 mags are about the same price.

Old August 16, 2014, 11:09 AM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
They now ship with a single mag and contrast sights but at a sub $400 price point are still a great value.
If you're willing to spend more, you can get them from the factory with two mags and night sights as well. Just depends on how much you want to invest initially. My lgs is selling them with night sights and two mags for $489. Either way it's a very good deal that I have to keep resisting.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 16, 2014, 11:13 AM   #18
Okcafe86

You guys are making it very hard to resist.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old August 16, 2014, 11:45 AM   #19
jasmith85

I have really enjoyed the Sig Pro's that I have owned. My only complaint is that the SP2022 cannot be changed from 40 to 357 with just a barrel change like the older SP2340.

Also, the Sig rebate for two magazines that was mentioned earlier is over. The deadline for purchasing a gun that qualified for it was the first of August.
Old August 16, 2014, 01:18 PM   #20
gc70

The SP2022 is thoroughly a Sig with respect to quality, reliability and accuracy, but at a very reasonable price.

I had an earlier SP2009 years ago that I foolishly "traded up" to get an HK USPc with an inferior trigger. After trying polymer guns with strikers by Glock, S&W, Springfield, and Walther, I recently bought an SP2022 as my polymer knockabout gun and could not be happier.
Old August 16, 2014, 11:35 PM   #21
Sgt Pepper

Okcafe86, there is no point in resisting the SigPro 2022. Seriously.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:51 AM   #22
HungryHunter

I've owned two and can attest to reliability, accuracy, fit and finish, "feel", and bargain. I just picked up much more "high end" pistol, whose name I won't mention, took it to the range 3x and stuck it in the safe in favor of my SP2022. You won't be disappointed. I almost hate these threads because I want them to stay cheap.
Old August 17, 2014, 06:40 AM   #23
Okcafe86

As soon as I acquire the funds gentlemen .
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old August 17, 2014, 08:34 AM   #24
weldonjr2001

Not much to add beyond what others have said. Reliable, accurate, great double-action trigger.

Bedair makes a stainless guide rod for it if you desire.

The factory night sights are a nice bonus.

My only gripe, and it's a minor one, is the grip design. My little finger is on the magazine, not the grip, and the magazine "wallows" around in the mag well a little. I wish the grip was a little longer so I wasn't contacting the magazine. You expect this in compact and subcompact pistols, but it's the only full-sized pistol I own that has this "problem".

Other hammer fired polymer framed pistols are the Beretta PX4 line.

The SP2022 is the most accurate 9mm pistol I own.
Old August 17, 2014, 08:43 AM   #25
Knightsofnee

Good for you OP. The main downside to owning a SIG is the same as owning a CZ. People are going to ask what the initials stand for.