The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 5, 2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Opinated

Buying camera

I plan to buy an automatic camera to photograph varmits and game as soon as possible. I need one that will photograph both day and night with non-visible flash and battery life of at least one week. Need for the camera to retain the image even if the battery goes dead. Must be weatherproof. Color photos are desirable but not absolutely necessary. Cost will be a consideration, but not necessarily the most important factor.
Your suggestions based on experience are requested and appreciated.

This will be mounted on a tree.

Last edited by Opinated; April 5, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old April 5, 2012, 05:01 PM   #2
thallub

i've had two of these Stealth Cam cameras for a couple of years. They are good trouble free cameras. They take color photos in the daytime and black and white IR photos at night. Mine have the optional 12 volt battery pack: It contains a 12 volt electric fence battery that stays charged for several months.

http://www.trailcampro.com/stealthcami540ir.aspx
Old April 6, 2012, 04:11 PM   #3
603Country

I've had good luck with Moultrie game cameras. Battery life is particularly good. I have both the regular flash type and the infrared type. I always thought that the flash would drive away the critters, but I'm not so sure that it really does. And the regular flash will give you color night pictures, if that matters to you. There are some new cameras on the market that supposedly have undetectable black light flash. I'd like to try one, but won't buy until one of my Moultries dies. I'd probably get the one from Primos. I have some of their other gear and it all works real well.
Old April 6, 2012, 04:52 PM   #4
rickyrick

As mine were gifts, I take what I got moultrie non infrared. They work pretty good. I don't have them up right now, but with extra SD cards you just go swap cards whenever you get curious.

I suggest that you try them out on the dog or neighbourhood cats to get a feel for how they work and field of view ect. Some you gotta set the timing you don't wanna find out you have a bunch of empty photos and tail tips