The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2011, 10:46 PM   #1
bitttorrrent

My first handgun purchase - Beretta

I have several guns and rifles from family, but never actually went out and bought one.

So, here it is. I have taken it down gone through it, but have been waiting forever to take to range. This is all new, so my local range is yet to be found, but have one up in MI.

Anyway, I still love this gun even though I have not even fired it. Great heavy feel, easy to take down and good quality. Pretty good for a plastic pistol - my next one will be all metal - sig p226, cz or even the rs1911 ruger.

This will be home defense, i wanted high cap. with a safety. I will add a veridian c5L? laser/light, so just wanted a good plastic durable gun.

Will give a range report when I actually get to the range. I'll compare to a glock 10mm cause that is the closest I have.

Pictures are always good - posters should post more pictures! Here are a few of my new toy.

oops, was trying to embedd them, but i guess you have to click on links to see pictures. I'll do that next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-04-29 10.56.44.jpg (236.2 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-04-29 10.53.43.jpg (233.8 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-04-29 10.53.57.jpg (225.7 KB, 196 views)
Old May 4, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2
ice monkey

Nice looking pistol! Look forward to the report!
Old May 4, 2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Martowski

Nice. Just bought a Sig myself but the PX4 will likely be my next handgun. Just love the look and the trigger seemed pretty decent in the shop.
Old May 4, 2011, 11:21 PM   #4
AustinTX

Congrats!

I'm quite partial to metal-framed guns, but the PX4s are outstanding pistols, and I think they're among the most underappreciated semi-autos in production. I've been very impressed with the build quality, fit and finish, accuracy, and overall shooting characteristics of the ones I've fired. There is not a softer-shooting polymer-frame service pistol in .40 S&W (or 9mm).

I'm focusing strictly on out-of-production guns for the time being, but the PX4 will be on the short list when I get back to buying in-production guns. It doesn't take a backseat to any of the other polymers, as far as I'm concerned. The people who own them are generally pretty crazy about them.
Old May 5, 2011, 01:42 AM   #5
LockedBreech

My PX4 has been, at 1400 rounds nothing short of perfect. I have shot it next to a $900 Sig 226 model and still preferred my humble, unsung PX4.

It was my first pistol, as it is yours. I absolutely do not regret that choice 4 years later.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:07 AM   #6
10 MickeyMouse

Quote:
This will be home defense...............I'll compare to a glock 10mm cause that is the closest I have.

Why use the less potent cartridge? Unless they couldn't control it or just don't like the gun, I can't think of too many people who would prefer 9mm over 10mm (or .40, .45) for home defense.

Otherwise, congrats. Glad you like your new toy!
Old May 5, 2011, 09:27 AM   #7
AustinTX

Quote:
Mine always shot low, i think it was me though.
Very likely. Were you covering the target with the front sight, or were you using a "6 o'clock" aim? Berettas use the "standard" sight picture shown below.

Old May 5, 2011, 09:29 AM   #8
bitttorrrent

Good to see the px4 has some followers!

I know a 10mm or .45 would pack more power.

I am in a trial stage and just starting to get a good collection like some of you guys - of my own. I have access to .45 and 10mm glock, 1911's (2) that my Dad told me to just take one.

But I want to add to the overall collection instead of repeating what he has, so that is why the Beretta 9mm. He only has a few 9mm - Kel tec and an old Luger, but I wanted a modern full size one.

I may choose to switch to a .45 or 10mm for my home defense depending on how my shooting goes between them all and what I am most comforatable with.

Can't wait to put all of these through their paces and post my opinions.
Old May 5, 2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Will Beararms

Great choice from a great company and very safe
Old May 5, 2011, 10:20 AM   #10
AustinTX

Quote:
Unless they couldn't control it or just don't like the gun, I can't think of too many people who would prefer 9mm over 10mm (or .40, .45) for home defense.
There are a lot of people who would prefer 9mm for home defense. A good SD round in 9mm is highly effective against two-legged predators, but missed shots are not going to sail through as many interior and exterior walls as a hot 10mm or .40. Muzzle flash, in what will quite likely be low light conditions, will be much lower with a 9mm. What good does the extra power of the 10mm do if you can't see after your first shot? The 10mm is also damned loud, and the report is probably going to be just that much more disorienting when fired indoors with no hearing protection.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:32 AM   #11
ShipWreck

VERY nice. I always love Berettas!
Old May 5, 2011, 11:01 AM   #12
10 MickeyMouse

Quote:
There are a lot of people who would prefer 9mm for home defense. A good SD round in 9mm is highly effective against two-legged predators, but missed shots are not going to sail through as many interior and exterior walls as a hot 10mm or .40. Muzzle flash, in what will quite likely be low light conditions, will be much lower with a 9mm. What good does the extra power of the 10mm do if you can't see after your first shot? The 10mm is also damned loud, and the report is probably going to be just that much more disorienting when fired indoors with no hearing protection.
You just made my argument for me, since I said or .45. Lower pressure than the other 3, least likely to overpenetrate, but still makes a bigger hole to bleed the BG than a 9.

9mm has it's place, and I carry my PF9 a lot more than my CS45 because it's much slimmer and barely half the weight. But the two handguns accessible for HD are a Witness 10mm and a S&W 4516.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:18 PM   #13
MidwestRookie

have fun being deaf after you have to use your 10mm indoors in the dead of night..
Old May 5, 2011, 12:34 PM   #14
Microgunner

A friend of mine owns a PX4 and swears by it and he believes the sun rises and sets over Glocks.
Old May 5, 2011, 01:52 PM   #15
bitttorrrent

Thats a great idea - I will have to do a test this summer in the outdoor range.

I'm an architect, so i should know about wall types and penetrations. There are many types of walls and depending on local codes and building practices. For instance in chicago, type x drywall 5/8" is standard, but up in MI as I found out, they by practice use 5/8" on the ceiling and 1/2" on the walls.
Too many variables - would actually probably not be that wall that my 2yr and 8yr old sleep in, it would be through the floor or back wall which are entirely different construction of wood, block, flooring, glass etc.

It would be better to just aim at the bad guy and not shoot all over the place

Anyway, I will try to do a mock up of walls of at least drywall and see what happens when i try to shoot through it in .22, 38, 9mm, 10mm and .45. Don't have a .40 though and not sure if i will get one or not.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:07 PM   #16
Coltman 77

Quote:
It would be better to just aim at the bad guy and not shoot all over the place
Absolutely!

Remember the FOUR RULES OF GUN SAFETY.

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEHIND IT

With all respect, I strongly suggest that you take some handgun shooting classes. The NRA offers them as do many local gunshops. Easy to find.

Good luck and be safe.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old May 5, 2011, 06:21 PM   #17
Will Beararms

Great post Coltman and one I need to read about once a week. I was out of the loop on handguns for about four or five years. I still had em but wing shooting was my focus and still is in the fall and winter.

That said, I get so sick of seeing these nimrods on You Tube, TV and in other video mediums reviewing or demonstrating a pistol while having a finger in the muzzle or having the muzzle buried in their support hand for various reasons.

For starters, it is habit forming and before you know it, you'll be doing it when the handgun is loaded. Next, it conveys a terrible message to younger shooters and neophytes to the sport. Finally, it is the epitome of arrogance mixed with carelessness. It is just plain stupid.

I recently contacted the maker of the OP's pistol about a you tube spot where one of their European employees was doing this. They tried to defend it by stating the gun was cleared before their guy did the You Tube video. I saw one of their representatives recently at a grand opening of a sports retailer and he agreed with me. This type of behavior is wrong.

A GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED.

NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DESTROY.

I appreciate a lot of the innovations we have now. I do not appreciate some of the gun handling mistakes I see industry representatives exhibiting these days.

Sorry for the rant....
Old May 5, 2011, 06:34 PM   #18
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Beararms
NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DESTROY.
I think the quote would be better stated as "anything you're not willing to destroy". Otherwise the police would find it very hard to perform their jobs.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:49 PM   #19
Noreaster

Hey I bought one for HD and love it. I went with the 9mm. I bought the constant action and kinda wish I went with the double/single. My PX4 has been flawless. I went back and forth between the middle and large backstrap and have finally stopped messing with it and left the large one. Eats anything I put through it. What a pleasure to shoot. My kid fires it without a problem. The rotary barrel really soaks up the recoil.

My PX4 also shoots low. Good illustration AustinTX. I'll try adjusting my hold on the 10 ring.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:19 AM   #20
Will Beararms

Good point micro and I am not willing to blow the tip of a finger off or eviscerate the palm of my support hand!
Old May 10, 2011, 09:27 AM   #21
bitttorrrent

Coltman - you are right - i repeat those rules every time my kids or is someone around that is not used to guns.

I have had a long hiatus, but grew up with loaded guns around the house - not just laying around - but i knew where my dad kept his loaded .38 revolver.

And yes, being a boy, i would show my friends, but smart enough i guess not to let them handle it. I will not do the same with my kids - the gun will be locked in some fasion.

Oh, i'll remember the site thing when i go to the range this week - was out of town for mothers day so still sitting in its box - d%$^%$^n it.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:35 AM   #22
NorCaRL

PX4 advocate

The PX4 .40 was my first handgun and got me hooked on the sport of shooting and collecting. It's easy to find ammo anytime, and the recoil is next to nothing. Simple to field strip and clean, my wife loves to shoot this one too. I encourage you to try the fat grip w/ a hogue on it. I also put on strobing flashlite setup for nitestand duty.

Tags
beretta , px4 , storm