The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 3, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
snuzzo29

Holster for M&P

I am looking to get a holster for my M&P 40. I plan on using it for carrying while hunting mostly. I do a lot of hunting out of a treestand so I probably will need something with good retention and is comfortable when sitting for long periods of time.
Old July 3, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

Blackhawk SERPA, Safariland, Bianchi-intl....

For the popular Smith and Wesson M&P series, there are a few decent picks for a general use/outdoor holster.
Many gunners & armed professionals like the polymer holsters & rigs from Blackhawk, www.blackhawk.com Safariland, www.Safariland.com , Galco, www.usgalco.com or Bianch-intl; www.bianchi-intl.com .
The Blackhawk SERPA can be adjusted & worn strong or cross-draw. It has a simple retention system that is easy to use. Note; some gun owners have stated the SERPA can jam with mud, snow, dirt, etc. I've owned a M&P left hand SERPA holster with no major problems
Many gun owners & outdoor rec types like the Safariland ALS & SLS holsters. They are secure & can be adjusted for carry angles/belts.

The milspec or military type Bianchi UM92II holster line may meet your needs. It will fit a M&P Full Size .40 or 9x19mm & can be converted to a # of carry methods(SAS-leg, tanker or chest, strong side or cross draw, shoulder, etc). It comes with a flap or a optional thumb break & it fits any size belt up to 2.25" wide. The UM92II is based on the Bianchi Intl M12 holster, the highly respected & tested holster for the US armed forces/M9 9mmNATO.
The Bianchi holsters come in woodland camo, black, tan & 3 color desert camo.
It's handy & a great way to protect your M&P but to be fair, the metal clips of the Bianchi UM84/M12/UM92 line may dig into your side or snag on your clothes.
I used a Bianchi UM84R in the black format as a duty rig for my Ruger GPNY .38spl revolver in the mid-2000s. I'm left handed & worn the holster different ways; strong-side, cross-draw, flap on/flap off. The Bianchi thumb-break did not fit the R or revolver type UM series holster.

ClydeFrog
Old July 3, 2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Tomac

I really like the Blackhawk SERPA as a belt holster for my S&W M&P's.
Tomac
Old July 3, 2013, 10:12 PM   #4
SauerGrapes

I have a DeSantis speed scabbard {OWB}for my M&P. It's a 3 hole holster so you can choose cant or straight up carry.
It holds the gun very secure. I've logged 100s of hours with the holster. At 50 bucks, it's a great bang for your buck.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old July 4, 2013, 03:29 PM   #5
KyJim

For hunting, you need an OWB holster with a retention strap. There are a number of them out there. Galco has two -- the Gladius and the Cop three slot. The Gladius is quicker to take on and off a belt with the snap loops but that's probably not a big concern for your usage.
Old July 4, 2013, 08:46 PM   #6
INMY01TA

I'm looking at a Safariland als paddle holster for my new M&P9.
Old July 4, 2013, 09:33 PM   #7
HKGuns

Quote:
I have a DeSantis speed scabbard {OWB}for my M&P. It's a 3 hole holster so you can choose cant or straight up carry.
It holds the gun very secure. I've logged 100s of hours with the holster. At 50 bucks, it's a great bang for your buck.
This is what I use for my 9c as well.
Old July 5, 2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Ibmikey

Check out website for Wright Leather..they offer a reasonably priced excellent quality holster and provide mr. Wright's name and phone number for questions.
Old July 5, 2013, 08:20 PM   #9
ShootingNut

I have a DeSantis like this, black color right hand. I have never used it,
if you have an interest PM me. I would part with it for 50 bucks plus
priority mailing which I think is about 6 bucks or so for the small box.
http://www.desantisholster.com/store...Break-Scabbard
Old July 7, 2013, 02:48 PM   #10
BigPoppa

I use A Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment holster made of Kydex for my M&P40/357Sig.
Old July 7, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
PawPaw

I just bought a Safariland 6378 for my M&P. I use a Safariland 6360 on my duty belt and wanted a holster with the same type controls. After buying several duty holsters over the years, and paying high dollar for them, I was surprised at how inexpensive the 6378 was. Under $40.00 for a durable, well designed holster. I think I'm going to like the new holster a lot.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 8, 2013, 04:23 PM   #12
RamItOne

For hunting I use a thigh rig (yes I can be super tacticool and impress the deer), nope, just don't have a desire to feel a gun digging into my side for however long I may be sitting in a stand or on a 4 wheeler. IMO it's just a more comfortable solution.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old July 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #13
allaroundhunter

Re: Holster for M&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
I just bought a Safariland 6378 for my M&P. I use a Safariland 6360 on my duty belt and wanted a holster with the same type controls. After buying several duty holsters over the years, and paying high dollar for them, I was surprised at how inexpensive the 6378 was. Under $40.00 for a durable, well designed holster. I think I'm going to like the new holster a lot.
You certainly will like that holster. I have enjoyed using one with my Glock 34.
Old July 8, 2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

http://bravoconcealment.com/

done
Old July 9, 2013, 09:29 PM   #15
biggun_

Hopp Custom Leather on Facebook. Most comfortable holster ever
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (178.0 KB, 16 views)
Old July 11, 2013, 08:53 AM   #16
ThinkFastKydex

If youre looking for a Kydex holster, which is better suited for hard use activites such as hunting, we offer an excellent OWB holster for that purpose. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!
[email protected]