The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 14, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Coyote WT

CPL/traffic stop

I just got my CPL and wanted to know if there was a particular protocol/etiquette if I ever get pulled over by police for any reason. It's not my intent to carry yet (primary reason for the CPL was ease in future weapons purchases) and I don't know if running my drivers license will indicate that I have a carry permit. I know a lot of people on the forum are experienced CCW holders and/or law enforcement so I'm asking for advice on the best way to avoid the "are you armed?" tension a police officer may feel when pulling over a carrier.
Old April 15, 2011, 12:05 AM   #2
kilimanjaro

I just give 'em my driver's license and insurance card when pulled over, and keep both hands in plain sight on the wheel, and act like a law-abiding citizen respectful of law enforcement. That settles any 'tension' issues right there.

I've never been asked if I had a weapon with me, or to show my license, ever. If asked, I'd answer, 'yes, it's in the glovebox, or under my left arm, my license is in my wallet. Do you need to see either of them, officer?' Still keeping hands on the wheel....

I think here in Washington the CWP comes up with the Driver's License on the police computer, but no questions have ever been asked.
Old April 15, 2011, 03:10 AM   #3
Single Six

I'm a LEO. When I pull over a citizen who happens to hold a CCW permit [as we call them here in my part of Dixie], what I like to see is hands on the wheel, have them to show me the permit and tell me where the gun is. But in all honesty, I really don't feel threatened by these folks. I already know that if they have that CCW permit, the odds of them being anything other than a card-carrying good guy are pretty remote. The people who ARE a threat to me are the dudes with criminal histories and the stolen Hi-Point or Lorcin tucked in their waistband. You can bet those guys don't sweat our laws, gun-related or otherwise [which is why we call them "criminals", but you'll never get a liberal politician to understand that].
Old April 15, 2011, 05:15 AM   #4
Maximus856

I've been stopped twice so far since getting my license to carry. I've told them both times and they asked where it was. I was asked to step out of the vehicle once (weapon was in the center console) and was asked to see the license but that was it. Ironically, I ended up getting out of both tickets and they thanked me for letting them know. Both LEO's I know said they'd rather know about it then possibly see it by accident and respond to it.

-Max
Old April 15, 2011, 06:28 AM   #5
MW surveyor

I've only been stopped one time since I got my CCW here in Texas. Since it was after 2 AM and the wife was with me, I gave the officer my licence, CCW permit and my insurance card. Both hands on the wheel after producing the paper work. The only question asked was, are you carrying now and where. Answere yes with pistol in lower pocket in cargo type pants.

Got a thanks for the info and drive safe. Course I'm an old fat bald dude so that may have helped also.
Old April 15, 2011, 10:39 AM   #6
precision_shooter

Only been stopped 1 time since I started carrying....I always give them my CCL, DL, and Ins. They then asked where it was, I told them, and was just told to leave it there. Got my license back and was on my way WITH A TICKET!!!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old April 15, 2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Pahoo

A good starting point, is to know what the law requires, in your state. From there, is your neigboring states. .......

In Iowa, you are only required to show your permit, when requested by the LEO. By my measure, the smart thing to do, is to automatically present your permit at the same time you present driver's license. From there, the subject is in his hands. I'm sure that with the passage of Shall-Issue, Iowa Leo's are very sensitive to this. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old April 15, 2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Eagle Eye

Try this link: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf[/URL]

You will see that Oregon does not recognize Washington license. Idaho does.

Also declaration is not recquired unless asked.
Old April 15, 2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Nitesites

Amen Single Six. As a card carrier, its always super-cool knowing that LEO has my back!
Old April 15, 2011, 12:27 PM   #10
MLeake

I've only encountered the situation once, but did as a couple CCW instructors I know had recommended: I handed the officer my permit, along with my DL. He was very polite and professional, and I ended up leaving with a warning.
Old April 15, 2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Arkansas

Under Arkansas Law,
Quote:
(b) The licensee shall:
(1) Carry the license, together with valid identification, at any time when the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun; and
(2) Display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

Ark. Code Ann. ยง 5-73-315 (West)
But, under the Arkansas State Police administrative rules, if I am carrying, I am required to present my CHCL, along with another ID, and to inform the LEO that I am carrying, upon the LEO's request. If I'm not carrying, I don't have to inform. Rule 3.2

I've also not been pulled over since I got my CHCL. In the interest of prudence, however, my plan is to hand over: (1) Driver's license; (2) CHCL; (3) insurace/registration/etc, and start the conversation with, "Good afternoon. Here's my stuff, and I am/am not carrying." I figure it's best to just get that out in the open first.

Edit: Please don't rely on my assessment of the administrative rules. I did only a very cursory review before writing this.
Old April 15, 2011, 12:54 PM   #12
lawnboy

Google something like: "concealed carry in XXX" where XXX is your state. State laws vary. Some states require you to notify LEO's you are in possession of a weapon even if you are properly licensed to carry one. My state, WA, does not require you to do so. Yours might.

Edit: I see you are also in WA. Try this:
http://www.usacarry.com/forums/washi...-ccw-laws.html

It has links to the applicable RCW's and will allow you to read the law for yourself.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old April 15, 2011, 12:55 PM   #13
psyfly

Best advice above: Know your state laws.

I have been stopped 5 times since I got my TX CHL.

Three times by State Troopers who always asked if I were carrying and where is the gun. No issue past that and I haven't been ticketed (warning issued).

Once by City Policeman in San Angelo TX and once by City policeman in Sonora TX. Neither asked anything, just handed me back my CHL and went back to their vehicle to run my licnese. Warning only, no ticket.

Tx law requires that the CHL be shown when identification is requested by LEO (i.e.; you are required to volunteer the card ).

In the 2008-2009 session of the TX legislature all penalties for failing to comply with the above were removed.

I think TX LEOs have gotten accustomed to the issue.

OTOH, back before TX had a CHL law, I was stopped on a number of occasions where the LEO asked me if I was armed (I always was) and was not ever hassled about it.

Best,

Will
Old April 15, 2011, 04:47 PM   #14
45Gunner

Got stopped one late night on my way home from a birthday party. I pulled over, turned on the interior light of my car and placed my hands on the steering wheel. The officer approached the car from the passenger side, ID'd himself and it went like this:

"Sir, I pulled you over for doing 55 in a 40 MPH zone. Do you have any concealed weapons in the car?"

Yes.

"Do you have a permit to have a concealed weapon?"

Yes. I am a retired Federal Agent.

"Thank you, sir. Have a good night."

And with that, he was gone. No ticket. Never asked for license, registration, ID, or CCW. However, I did everything that one should do when stopped. Made myself highly visible with hands in sight to make the officer at ease. (Maybe not the right term, but you know what I am saying.) Always tell the officer the truth. A lie will get you into trouble faster than you will ever know what hit you.
NRA Life Member
Old April 16, 2011, 05:45 PM   #15
carprivershooter

Michigan law

In MIchigan A CPL holder is required by law to inform a LE, conservation officer, etc they are carrying, The 2 times I have been stopped the officer just wanted to know where the gun was, and what I was carrying. Oh you have to give the officer your permit with the other information.
Old April 16, 2011, 11:29 PM   #16
hermannr

WA. Have your DL, Insurance card and registration in you hands and window open with both hands where they can see them. They will never ask.

If they approach my car from the right side they can't miss my big holster, never had a problem (but then I live in the Okanogan)