The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 4, 2002, 12:48 PM   #1
docster

Who has the .40's

Was reading somewhere,old age set in, about the accuracy and the fun of shooting cap and ball .40 rifles. Who makes them? Looked at some common gun manufactures but have yet to see any in this caliber.
Thanks
Old August 4, 2002, 04:26 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The .40 caliber was made popular by Dixie Gun Works about 35 years ago. For some reason they selected it for their rifles and kits and since they were the leading source of sporting muzzleloaders, the caliber was accepted for general use, right up to deer hunting. But a .40 ball is not really very big and hunters moved up to bigger calibers, first .45 and then .50 which seems to be the most popular these days, although often with saboted pistol bullets. A lot of traditionalists shoot the .54 and its half-ounce ball.

Now the .40 is not common; it is neither fish nor fowl, small for deer, larger than the traditional .32 or .36 squirrel gun. I don't know if a mass produced .40 is even made any more.
Old August 4, 2002, 05:05 PM   #3
docster

Thanks for the info Jim, I think I will look around alittle and probably wind up with a 50. Been looking at the Lyman,
and where do most BP shooters buy their guns?
Old August 4, 2002, 11:15 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

I remember Sam Fadela was quite big on the .40 calibers for hunting antalope and small game. Seems to me he favored a rifle by Ozark Arms which looked like a half stocked kentucky. It probably is a company that is long gone, but was a nice enough looking semi-custom rifle. Shouldn't be too hard to build a copy of one, look at Track of the Wolf's offerings and you should be able to come up with some good ideas. I think part of the reason that the 40 never was all that popular was the fact that many states restrict the minimum caliber legal for deer at 45 and up. I doubt that the .40 would pose any problem for serious big game hunting if conicals, or as they called them in the old days "picket" balls were used. The 40 was considered at one time to be a formidable hunting caliber when used with this latter style bullet. Roberts talks about using double barrel rifles in 40 caliber (I think could be wrong) to hunt black bear on the East Coast in the 1880's, doesn't sound like they had any problem dispatching several bear with them either.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old August 9, 2002, 10:15 AM   #5
BluRidgDav

Thompson/Center makes a "target" version of their Hawken rifle in .40 caliber.
Old August 9, 2002, 02:42 PM   #6
Jimmy Mac

Not for sure but I think Pedersoli(sp) makes some .40 caliber rifles.

The quality of these guns has gone down hill recently. If you can find an older one it will be perfect.

I had a .32 flinter that was as good as any custon gun.