The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 2, 2002, 12:51 AM   #1
MitchSchaft

Help me choose a safe for my truck.

I need a safe that will bolt down to the floor of my truck under the seat. Has anybody heard of or seen this being done? It needs to be big enough for one handgun.
Old April 2, 2002, 08:11 AM   #2
popnokick

Here's one, but I have no experience with it -

http://www.aegisindustries.com/travelkit.htm
Old April 2, 2002, 09:10 AM   #3
loknload

Under The Seat

Here's one that I've been toying with getting, Just haven't done so yet. I really should since my Suburban has no locking compartments in it

http://www.underseatstorage.com/default.htm
Old April 2, 2002, 11:30 AM   #4
Futo Inu

I'm very happy with my RD Enterprises safe

It's bolted down to the front seat passenger-side floorboard, and holds 2-3 pistols plus mags, etc. I have the model 4811-S It kinda acts like a footrest for my short passengers, and I've never had a complaint even from taller passengers. It wouldn't fit under the seat, or even in the x-cab floorboard (it would have installed there, but the door would not have been able to swing open due to the central tranny hump). I will post pics of it later.

Advantages of the RD: No electrical components/batteries, etc. to mess with or fail you - just a punch combo that you can change as often as you want.

www.handgunsafe.com
Old April 2, 2002, 04:13 PM   #5
asleepinTucson

I have improvised with a locking gun case (padlocked on both sides) and a cable lock.

I don't advertise so I don't expect anyone will break in with a pair of bolt cutters in hand
Old April 2, 2002, 05:46 PM   #6
MitchSchaft

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
Foto, how did you bolt yours down to the floor? It looks exactly like something I'm looking for.
Old April 2, 2002, 11:40 PM   #7
mdlowry

I picked up one of these . AFAIK, it will only work in a Dodge truck though.
Old April 3, 2002, 01:21 AM   #8
Onslaught

I also most prefer the R&D enterprises safes... While other companies talk about the "gauge" of their steel (12 - 16 is most common) My 24 pound 4811-s single handgun safe bolted under the bed is 1/4".... that's something like 6 or 8 gauge.

Now, having said that... I am looking at slimmer and less expensive alternatives that would deter the average CAR thief. I wanted maximum security for my HOUSE gun, but in the car, if they can't get it QUICK, they are going to leave it.

I've looked at

http://www.contractorstools.com/palmerdrawer.html
and
http://www.sellcom.com/vlineind.html
as options. I also like that Aegis safe, and appreciate POP for listing it. I have never seen that company before. It's another option for under the seat... and the slimmest one I've seen so far.

My vehicle was broken into several years ago, but because the stereo was so well installed, and the area was so confined... the thief gave up on it and left it. He got my speakers though. Since I don't leave guns unattended, he didn't get my PPK either. He did find the holster though, and the police officer arriving at the scene said that explained the additional mess and damage... he wanted that gun

Good job for thinking ahead and checking here for options... Anyone else got a lesser heard of suggestion?

Last edited by Onslaught; April 3, 2002 at 01:52 AM.
Old April 3, 2002, 06:03 PM   #9
Futo Inu

Mitch

Yeah, it works great. It has holes pre-drilled and the mounting hardware with it. Just figure out where you want it, then look under the body of the vehicle at that spot to make sure there is room underneat to work with, in order to secure the nuts, then measure and mark your holes, drill through, then mount. I also took a standard sized wooden grade school ruler like we used to get each year for school, sawed it in half, then used the 2 pieces as spacers, placed evenly like at 1/3 and 2/3rds of the way between front and back, between the safe and the carpet of the floorboard, in order to give the door enough room to swing open without getting caught on the carpet. I didn't do anything to seal it off, but I suppose a little silicon underneath wouldn't hurt to make sure that water being splashed up from the rear of the front tires doesn't seep through into the top on the floorboard. It's placement is..well, here's pic
Old April 3, 2002, 06:08 PM   #10
Futo Inu

here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1000635.jpg (69.8 KB, 201 views)
Old April 3, 2002, 06:09 PM   #11
Futo Inu

apparently i can only attach one pic per post.

You know, mine may be the 14" deep one - I'll check. Really, it would be better in an extended cab floorboard or back seat floorboard, facing "west" instead of "south", if you see what I mean, IF there's enough room for it and the door to open, because then the driver can reach across directly into it, and place/unplace the gun or other item. But the floorboard in front, though not pretty, works fine, and since I rarely have passengers, it hasn't bothered anyone yet. Only thing is, it's an awkward arm angle to reach way into the back of the safe, because of the front seat getting in the way - can only be done with the passenger seat scooched back all the way, and even then not very comfortably.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1000636.jpg (67.8 KB, 142 views)
Old April 3, 2002, 09:01 PM   #12
MitchSchaft

Awesome! Thanks for taking your time to do all this, guys. I plan on ordering a 4811-s next week. I would like it to go underneat the driver's side seat in my truck. An '87 Nissan longbed. I'm gonna have to get the tape measure out first.
Thanks for those pics, Futo, they helped out a lot.
Sorry for callin you Foto.
Old April 4, 2002, 11:33 AM   #13
Futo Inu

Hey no problem Mitch

I think you'll be very happy with the RD. It's a time-proven push combo mechanism. BTW, my pickup there is also a 1987 Nissan SE-V6 4x4. Don't know if you'll have room under the seat without cutting out some things out or something.... maybe removing the seat, installing, then replacing the seat on top??? Is your pickup an x-cab? If so, the 11" model would be IDEAL for mounting behind the passenger seat facing towards the driver. Mine is indeed the 14" and so is too long for that. If a reg cab, hmm... I dunno.
Old April 6, 2002, 02:05 AM   #14
MitchSchaft

I plan on doing some measuring this weekend. It's a standard cab with a bench seat. I plan on removing it if I find that I'm able to fit the safe in. I've removed it before to fit some stereo equipment in. It's not hard. I'll let you know how the measurements work out.
Old April 8, 2002, 06:40 PM   #15
MitchSchaft

Ok, I ordered it and it's on the way!
Old April 9, 2002, 07:56 PM   #16
MitchSchaft

They're on backorder for atleast 3 weeks. I wisht they would've posted that on their site
Old April 13, 2002, 12:45 PM   #17
MitchSchaft

Well, my fiance bought a new card so I'm taking ownership of her old one. Which means I'm getting rid of the truck so I'll be putting the safe in a '95 Nissan Sentra.
Old April 13, 2002, 07:46 PM   #18
Futo Inu

Sweet; free car! That safe goes good in any of them. Just be sure to not throw away the directions on how to change the combo lock combo.
Old April 13, 2002, 11:37 PM   #19
Coronach

Yick.

My wife owns a 95 Nissan Sentra (affectionately referred to as "this damned midget clown car" by me). There's not a lot of room under those seats (or behind the steering wheel, for that matter).

On the plus side, the gas mileage is pretty good.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old April 14, 2002, 02:05 AM   #20
MitchSchaft

I don't like this car, but my truck is on it's last leg. I really don't have a choice.
Old April 16, 2002, 08:47 PM   #21
MechE

partially remebered something

I'm remeber seeing recently that a lady running for an elected office in state government was promoting the fact that she had helped save many lives by making "hidden gun compartments" illegal.

If I remember correctly its Illinois. From what little I heard on the t.v. it sounded like gun safes could be a form of the dreaded "hidden gun compartments".
Old April 17, 2002, 10:30 PM   #22
MitchSchaft

this is tennessee, boy
Old April 18, 2002, 02:44 AM   #23
MechE

yes i know

i noticed that "this is tennessee, boy" but i also know that other people read this thread topic. Also Tennessee is within driving distance of The Land of Lincoln. I just wanted to inform others reading the thread that while you can do this legally in Tennessee and in Missouri you are not legally able to do it in neighboring states.

Before you mention it I realize that if you have you safe hidden from the general populations vision how is anyone going to know you have one anyway.
Old April 18, 2002, 09:07 AM   #24
Coronach

Plausible Scenario:

You are nailed in a motor vehicle accident and everything inside the vehicle is partially gear-adrift. Also possible, you get really nailed and they cut you out of the car. At that point, a plain-view search (read: looking through the window) could see the offending gunsafe. Also possible, if you are incapacitated, your car will most likely be impounded for safekeeping (rather than leave it abandoned on the roadside for all to loot). If the vehicle is being impounded, it will be inventoried.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old April 20, 2002, 01:21 PM   #25
MitchSchaft

what does that mean?