The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 17, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1
9ballbilly

need some help and information please

I'm new to muzzle loaders and could use some information.

What I'd like to do is build a left handed side lock percussion rifle in .32 or .36 cal.. I can't seem to locate any mfg. with a kit for this. If anyone knows of one could you please let me know?

On the other hand, I would kind of like to try the build from scratch, if no kit is available. In that regard I'd like recommendations on where to buy the needed components ( such as a stock blank). I have no timeline for this project and would spend months or even years working on it with no regret.

I've been told inletting a stock blank is very challenging. Fortunately I have developed good relationships with three professional smiths that I could go to for help, so I wouldn't be all alone in the cold trying to figure things out myself.

Any help or tips would be appreciated, Thanks
Old December 18, 2011, 06:52 AM   #2
mykeal

Two suggestions:

First, if you decide to build from scratch, get and study a copy of Recreating the American Long Rifle by Buchele and Shumway. It's available on amazon.com or eBay.

Second, contact Ray Franks at Sitting Fox Custom Muzzleloaders. He has a couple of left hand long rifle kits available and caliber is optional. Here's a link to his left hand early Lancaster .36: Early Style Lancaster .36 - left hand
Old December 18, 2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Roaddog

Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, TVM.com will have what your looking for as well. They are grate folks to deal with.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Hawg

Pecatonica River is a good place. They don't sell kits but have recommended parts sets for their stocks which can be had with any degree of inletting you desire. Most of them can be had in left hand also. http://www.longrifles-pr.com/index.shtml
Old December 18, 2011, 11:24 AM   #5
kwhi43

Tip Curtis, Tip Curtis, That's all you need to know. If you can't find his no.
I will look it up. He's in Tenn.
Old December 19, 2011, 01:51 AM   #6
dlbarr

I second what RoadDog says: TVM is your place to go.

Also, you can get alot of great input from the forum over at http://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x