The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2007, 06:19 PM   #1
Sycofrogg

AR Bolt and Mag problem

I have a Bushmaster AR. I bought it about a year ago and have done minor modifications. Mounted a aim dot, and installed a ambi sling bushing behind the butt stock.

I noticed this problem maybe two or three months ago. Sometime the magazine dosen't lock in! Also, with an empty mag in the bolt won't stay open. Only sometimes it will. Others it will just slip closed. Anyone know what could be causing this? Any help be greatly appreciated.
Old March 11, 2007, 06:54 PM   #2
rwilson452

it could be your magazine catch is broken or worn down. you should be able to feel it with your finger the edge should be straight across and relatively sharp it's the edge that is closest to the bolt you want to check. If it's rounded or the leading edge is not parallel to the mag well I would replace it.
Old March 11, 2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Sycofrogg

That would cause the bolt to close with an empty mag as well?
Old March 11, 2007, 07:43 PM   #4
Abstract

Hopefully, you're using G.I. mags. Anything else just won't cut it. If you'll look in your manual, you'll find that the mag catch is adjustable. Adjust it.
Old March 11, 2007, 11:01 PM   #5
rwilson452

if the mag is not fully in place it can slip by. I'm not saying the mag catch is the problem but it could be. If the mag catch is messed up or out of adjustment it can cause excessive wear on the mag. an inspection of the mags is also in order. The hole in the mag taht catches on the mag catch should be sharp and clean also.
Old March 12, 2007, 04:25 PM   #6
Sycofrogg

It's the mags. I borrowed some Colt mags from a friend and everything worked fine. Last time I order anything from cheaper then dirt. Thanks guys.