The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 27, 2001, 11:02 PM   #76
HarryB

No 1100s around

I called around the Phoenix area and found none. While walking through one to get some .22 ammo I saw the Beretta 390. Did a little research, came back. Turns out it was the last one (display) so the clerk offered 10% off due to some minor scratches. When the manager came over to approve the discount she lowered the price to $450. Sold!
Old July 28, 2001, 06:19 PM   #77
Mitzelj

Ben V.

I just got one for 328.00, let me know where I can fax it and I'll send you a copy of the receipt. Jeff
Old July 30, 2001, 10:33 AM   #78
Mitzelj

O.K. I've had numerous requests for a copy of the Walmart reciept, so I scanned and I'm gonna attach it here! I'm willing to do this since the reciept has neither my name nor the serial number of the weapon. Good luck all. Jeff
Attached Files
File Type: zip walmart.zip (73.6 KB, 102 views)
Old August 2, 2001, 09:07 PM   #79
WiFAL

Earlier in this thread I posted that certain Wal Marts don't carry the 1100 because according to store personel I called, some stores are not shot stores. As it happens this week I visited one of the stores that I had called which had assured me that they don't stock the 1100. Take one guess what I saw in the gun case?

Of course it was an 1100 marked $425. I didn't bother trying to help them understand that the shotgun is clearance priced. Those of you that gave up on buying one of these based upon calling a Wal Mart might want to consider going in person.
Old August 2, 2001, 10:49 PM   #80
Gary H

Scan the gun and you will probably find that the price is $328.
Old August 7, 2001, 12:28 AM   #81
bryoon

Can's find any @ $328 in Southern California.... :(

Hello all,
I've been following up on the rem 1100 bargain, but no luck in finding $328.00 anywhere near my house. I checked out Cerritos, city of industry, commerce,alhambra, anaheim & couple more WM's with no luck. Anybody bought rem 1100 in So cal @ $328.00?
Thank you for the info
Brian
Old August 7, 2001, 09:13 AM   #82
Mitzelj

Hello all,
I've been following up on the rem 1100 bargain, but no luck in finding $328.00 anywhere near my house. I checked out Cerritos, city of industry, commerce,alhambra, anaheim & couple more WM's with no luck. Anybody bought rem 1100 in So cal @ $328.00?
Thank you for the info
Brian

Brian-
Download the reciept I posted earlier in this thread, take it in and they should match the price, assuming they have one! Good Luck, Jeff
Old August 9, 2001, 12:13 AM   #83
fastforty

Just walked out of the Porterville (halfway between Bakersfield & Fresno) Walmart @ 8pm wednesday, they've still got one on the rack w/clearance tag. I started to get excited about this thread the other day, but realized that I already have an 1100

That's exactly 200 miles from City of Industry bryoon, too far for you? Ooops, guess you'd hafta make 2 trips, ifya wanted to take it home that is
Old August 10, 2001, 08:24 AM   #84
Big88foot

I checked my Walmart here in Pensacola. Marked $369 & the same thing came up after I asked for a scan. The clerk had never heard of the lower price; said $369 was "already a sale price."
Old August 10, 2001, 08:50 AM   #85
Ben V

I finally picked mine up. The list price was 369.00 when I did my DEROS paperwork but when I came back yesterday it was marked with a yellow (sale?) pricetag of 328.00. For anyone in the Northern CA area Woodland has them in stock and listed at 328.
Old August 11, 2001, 06:05 PM   #86
wildkard

Bryoon try checking the Santa Clarita Wal Mart.
Old August 11, 2001, 11:44 PM   #87
MiniZ

So much for my cheap 1100..

I bought my Walmart special to have a cheap field gun.

However.. my 1100 Trap is getting very tired(25 years and 30,000+ rounds, I can't blame her). The Trap model is the sole gun I received from my Grandpa, so I want it to be shootable in the future. Soooo, until I can afford a BT99/BT100, or a Citori, my new 1100 is getting upgraded. A Monte Carlo Stock is on the way. Until I find another barrel, I will be using my trap barrel off my current 1100. Eventually I will get another 30" tube, with choke tube capability so I can modify the gun for differing conditions(my current barrel is fixed Trap(full).

No matter how hard I try, I end up modifying every gun in some way. I guess that is part of the beauty of this hobby.

Zane
Old August 12, 2001, 12:54 AM   #88
Gary H

MiniZ:

If you go out and shoot the stock Walmart Synthetic 1100 and you find that it shoots a bit high, just like a trap gun. If it also swings nicely, then what would an upgrade do for you?
Old August 12, 2001, 02:53 AM   #89
Guyon

Man, this thread never dies. It may go over 100 replies and 4000 views.

Well, I finally picked up my 1100 today. Had it on layaway to see if the price would drop further; never did, but I'm not griping about $328. Plan to clean it up and shoot it this week. Gonna make a really nice dove and quail gun.

I wonder sometimes about the utility of having several set-ups on shotguns--that is if you both hunt and shoot clays. I know the trap set up allows one to see the clay target better by not covering it with your muzzle, but I seldom hear about people taking their precious trap gun into the field. Why is this?

I suppose some people make the adjustment fairly easily between field gun and trap gun, but it makes more sense to me to become really adept with one set-up and use it for all occasions.

Of course, you have to take all this with a grain of salt, for I'm just a bird hunter who's never shot trap in his life. Plan to try it with the new 1100 pretty soon though.
Old August 12, 2001, 07:29 AM   #90
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guyon, many trap guns weigh 8-10 lbs. Think about lugging an M-14 around your hunting grounds...

This same question occurred to me. That's one of the reasons Frankenstein's wearing a new, pretty, Monte Carlo type stock instead of its ugly, old Md Pen wood. This one's a Sile, made in Italy and bought used, but the dimensions are close to the ones on my TB.It has a Remington pad(formerly on the TB) instead of a Morgan, but adjustable pads add weight, and Frank's muzzle light because of the short bbl already. The bbl weight I rigged up for shooting trap with it gives the same balance point as the TB, but it's faster because more weight falls between the hands.

One of the arguments I've brought brought up for my 870 battery is the commonality of controls and "Chops" as a musician would say.That extends to stocks.

The only trap round I shot with the new Frank before eye surgery saw me shoot my average. A month from now when I can shoot again, I'll update.

One bennie about these 1100s and this thread, all you folks now have an inexpensive(relatively) test bed for finding out what works for you.....
Old August 12, 2001, 08:23 AM   #91
TM

Can Dave or someone else report on how suitable these Wal-Mart specials would be for conversion to a HD gun?

I am considering getting one of these, but it would either be converted to an IPSC 3-gun special (10rd. extended mag, etc.) or made into a HD gun.

TM
Old August 12, 2001, 10:37 AM   #92
Guyon

TM, I remembered a thread along these lines that Oleg started a few weeks ago. Here ya go:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=71526
Old August 12, 2001, 02:35 PM   #93
MiniZ

Gary H:

When I mount the "Walmart Special", I lose the bead, as I keep my head low on the stock. I made some adjustments to my technique, and managed to eke out a 15 out of 25 on its maiden voyage.

With my trap gun, I consistently break 21-22. I am more comfortable with the Monte Carlo. I only get to shoot 3 rounds of trap a week, so I don't want to spend that time adjusting to the gun. I would rather improve the techniques that are going to help me consistently break 24-25.

Zane
Old August 12, 2001, 04:40 PM   #94
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm no 1100 expert, but it looks to me like an 1100 can be easily made into a good HD piece with a short list of mods and addons.

A shorter bbl is near mandatory, either an aftermarket rifle sighted bbl, a short "Turkey" bbl, or a hacksawed one will fill the bill. Choke is meaningless at HD ranges.

A clean trigger,less than 5 lbs and 3 1/2 is close to optimum.

A two shot mag extension, just enough weight to help the recovery in short time frame crises.

And sights you can see, from a plain bead to the fiber optics, to tritium, whatever works for you.

Buy ammo, use it up, repeat.....

BTW, the only full length, 10 round 1100 I saw used in 3-gun was handled by a behemoth even larger than me. 10 lbs at least.

Zane, one of the neoprene stick on cheekpieces may be the ticket for using your Walmart 1100 for trap.The Cheek Eze ones run from 1/8 to 1/2, IIRC. This will raise your eye and the POI.
Old August 12, 2001, 05:14 PM   #95
Guyon

Curious, I did a Google search for Cheek Eze but found nothing. I tried several other combinations with little success.

Dave, where can you find these suckers? I'd like to see what it looks like and how it attaches.
Old August 12, 2001, 07:29 PM   #96
Gary H

Miniz:

Now I understand. My 1100 shot high and was basically setup for trap out of the box. I wanted it to shoot flat. Of course, that is the way it always goes. Shoot once per month, or twice per day..the dang things has got to fit.

Guyon:

Bought mine at Brownells.
Old August 13, 2001, 12:09 PM   #97
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gamaliel carries them Guyon, and if memory serves so does Natchez. Brownell's probably has them also. Sorry, I'm a techno-dunce and don't know how to set up a link.The Cheek Eze or similiar may be at your range or shop. These run 1/8 to 3/8", and are overpriced at $8-10.

Or make your own. I've some black colored double glue surface synthetic that's 1/4" thick or so. I made a recoil pad from it for Son's little S/S and some scrap leather. A thin piece of something like deerskin over the top surface of a piece would give a nice raised comb with a bit of padding to boot. Check POI/POA afterwards to ensure it didn't change it.

Peel and stick one side to the deerskin, trace or draw the outline of what you want, scissor ot cut it out, and peel the cover off the other side and fix it in place. If you change your mind, either a home made or factory pad can be removed, and lighter fluid or grain alcohol will get the glue off a wood stock.
Old August 13, 2001, 07:49 PM   #98
TM

Guyon, thanks for the link.

Dave McC, thanks for the advice as well.

I have a dilemma- I have a perfectly good 870 that I can convert into an HD gun by adding a synthetic stock, side saddle, ghost rings, sling mounts and a mag extension, or I can basically do the same thing with the Wal-Mart special, if it's still available.

Considering that my other shotgun is a Benelli Nova, I'm inclined to work up the 870. However, I'm also tempted in having a semi-auto that would be very good for 3-gun matches, which is a pleasant diversion I like to undertake a few times a year.

TM
Old August 13, 2001, 08:09 PM   #99
Gary H

One Vote for the 870 and not 1100 for H.D.

I've got a converted, Vanged, CompStocked sidesaddled, tactical lit 870 and it goes bang every time. I've had extraction problems with the 1100. Dave has posted regarding inexpensive 870 conversions. The crazy gadget approach that I took was not necessary. I don't really believe that the ghost rings, Vang, or CompStock were necessary for my home defense, but good for 3 gun. An 870 and a little bit of money can make a great H.D. shotgun.
Old August 13, 2001, 08:09 PM   #100
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're welcome, TM, but a minor demurrer....

The 870 you have is a marvelous HD weapon as it sits right now. All the bells and whistles add maybe 10%. Much as we like the gadgets and gizmos, it's the base weapon that counts.

I, and probably you, could go 90% or better on most any police qualification course used in the US with a stock weapon. More to the point, either of us is stone cold dangerous to the right people with a stock weapon and some training with same.

Any of the shotguns mentioned will work well for HD in cool and trained hands. Pick one and have at it....