The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 5, 2017, 10:42 AM   #1
PolarFBear

Stock Woodwork

The little Stoeger .410 I picked up needs a little touch up to the stock. It seems the finish was applied BEFORE they cut (pressed) the checkering. I would like to darken the recesses in the checkering to match the rest of the stock and fore grip. I had thought of using some brown Kiwi shoe polish. But thought best to poll the board first. The rest of the finish looks pretty good for a used firearm.
Old January 5, 2017, 12:58 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Shoe polish won't colour the wood unless you remove the existing finish first. Use a toothbrush with some varnish remover(hoping it is varnish).
And shoe polish is mostly wax. Good for leather protection but not so much for wood colouring. Any wood stain will work better. There are hordes of stains that aren't stupid expensive and a little goes very long way. Buy some cheap rubber gloves in a dollar store too. Stain will not hurt you, but it will stain your hands.
Old January 7, 2017, 01:21 PM   #3
weaselfire

Wet the checkering to see what it would look like if you just rubbed in oil. To stain, you'll need to remove any finish first.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk