The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
jtmckinney

Don't Over Crimp But You Do Have To Crimp Enough

My 40 cal semi auto pistol shoots factory loads (even the cheap stuff) with no problems but I have been having trouble getting the same reliability with my reloads. One FTF every magazine or two.

After cleaning my pistol and before re-assemblying with the barrel in one hand and cartridges in the other I compared the way factory and my reloads would feel riding up the feed ramp and into the chamber. There was a definate difference with my reloads having some resistance when they would break over and feed into the chamber.

I measured and looked but what I wound up doing is adjusting the crimp die down until the finished cartridge felt the same going into the chamber as the factory cartridges. 100 Rounds today and no FTF.

Just thought I would share.
Have a great day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old February 23, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
iraiam

sounds like there may have been a slight bell in the case mouth left from loading?

Glad you got it resolved, especially with the cost of .40 ammunition.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old February 23, 2013, 10:20 AM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Sounds good to me if they are working. Just remember to take a factory round, and run your finger nail over the bullet towards the base of the cartridge. You should feel a slight catch at the case mouth. Crimping for semi auto rounds is not crimping actually. You are just removing the flare, and ironing the case back straight. I do the thumb nail test on all of my semi auto reloads.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:30 PM   #4
jtmckinney

Thanks for the replies!

I had tried several things with different COL's and powder charges. It is frustrating when cheap target ammo functions without fail and your reloads don't.

I have always tried not to overwork the brass at the mouth but in this case some extra work seems to be required.

Have a great day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old February 23, 2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You might be able to reduce wear if you can cut back on the flare a bit. Same crimp, but if it's bent out less in the first place, less wear.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:01 PM   #6
jtmckinney

I think I have gotten pretty good at putting the minimum amount of flare to get the bullet to start into the mouth but not too much to overwork the brass at the mouth.

What my post was really about was taking ammo that worked and comparing it to ammo that only worked 90% of the time and seeing how they fed into the barrel and that pointed me in the direction I needed to go.

Sometimes some good old fashioned tennasity is what is required.

Again, Thanks to all that replied!
James