The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2000, 11:21 PM   #1
ehenz

I was helping a friend polish up his winter project Charles Daly 1911. We stripped it all down and cleaned out some serious dirt and grim. We also lightly sanded (400 then 600 grit) many of the parts inside i.e hammer, sear, sear spring etc. since the gun was blued I reccomended he touch them up (which has not been done yet). When re-assembled, it felf like a whole new gun. I was really surprised at how smooth the trigger pull was (still heavy, about 7-8 lbs apposed to 10 before the work on a guess, but smooth).

I have a newer Spr fld "loaded" and was considering doing the same to mine. However, the gun is parkerized. My question is: If I do this to the springfield is there a need to have the internal parts re-parkerized of can I just Blue them? If I can blue them, how difficult is it to do it on my own. I should point out I am pretty handy and can read directions well.I also understand how tricky trigger work is and that all I will be doing is making everything smooth and polished

Thanks in advance for any responces.
Old February 2, 2000, 03:06 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would caution against too much sanding of internal parts. Some are only surface hardened and if that hard skin is cut through the part will wear rapidly. As to finish, there should be no need to finish internal parts at all. Many manufacturers do not, and if they do, it is only for looks since neither bluing or Parkerizing hardens parts. Parkerizing, in fact, can make parts rough and will not improve functioning.

Jim
Old February 2, 2000, 06:15 PM   #3
ehenz

Thanks for the advice. Subsequent to my original post, I have read enough to scare myself about sanding.

Seeing how the "damage is done" so to speak on the Charles Daly, Do the parts need something to keep from rusting, or does a good lube do the job?

Once again, thanks!!!
Old February 2, 2000, 11:20 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just the normal little lubrication (a couple of drops of oil) should keep parts from rusting.

Jim
Old February 4, 2000, 11:51 PM   #5
Gunslinger

If you would still like to improve the action on the Springfield you may wish to consider polishing the internal parts with 2000 grit paper and then treat them with a good DFL to prevent rust. I have used Tecrolan or more commonly known to we gun nuts.....er.....that is firearms enthusiast as Sweetshooter. They have no web site that I know of but can be reached at (800) 932-4445. Bill England is the owner,chemist and all around good guy.
While building custom guns for cowboy action shooting I used this method on all the customs I built. As you pointed out, it does little, if anything, to reduce trigger weight but signifigantly improves the over all smoothness. Even though time consuming this, in my opinion, is far more beneficial then simply creating a light, twitchy trigger pull, especially on a SA, be it semi auto or revolver.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.