The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 11, 2017, 04:16 PM   #26
Snyper

Quote:
I got my rifle back today. Remington said they chamfered and honed the barrel. I will post rang results soon.
I thought that would do it.
Old January 11, 2017, 08:34 PM   #27
jhinalabama

Well I got home from work and pulled the rifle out of the box hoping to see great things. The barrel looked like they shot a bucket of rounds through it. So after I cleaned it I was not happy with what I saw. I thought they would have changed the barrel but it looks like they took a grinder to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 700_1_1.JPG (195.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 700_1_2.JPG (240.0 KB, 63 views)
Old January 11, 2017, 08:41 PM   #28
jhinalabama

In the mean time I picked up a RPR in 6.5 CM and that dude is a laser.
Old January 11, 2017, 09:44 PM   #29
Snyper

You're complaining over microscopic defects.
Old January 11, 2017, 10:01 PM   #30
Blindstitch

Now that you know what they will do you have options.

1. Sell it.
2. Send it back.
3. Send it to a Gunsmith to backbore or cut off and crown the area.
4. Shoot it and see what happens.

Sucks that you got the defect but it happens.
Old January 11, 2017, 10:25 PM   #31
jhinalabama

Quote:
I guess I am. Because I figured those defects are why the rifle would not group well. I have not shot it since I got it back. I just figured having one land ground off at the muzzle would not work out. I'm going to shot it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old January 11, 2017, 11:28 PM   #32
HiBC

I recall buying an older Redfield collimator off youtube.Never usd one.Figured I could use it for something.
I got it out,tried to use it.
Understand,I know how to use a plug gage in a precision hole.Its pretty near a thumb and forefinger grip on the gage.I expected the same from the spuds provided with the boresighter.
What I tried was too tight.I stopped and put it away.No harm done.

When you bought your rifle,did the shop install the sight and bore sight it for you?

I do not know what did that to your barrel,but to my eye,it does not look like it was caused by any barrel making process I recognize.

It COULD be caused by a counter clerk who got a boresight spud stuck and twisted it to get it out. I'll look closer.

I won't even say it did not happen at Remington.But I'm skeptical it did.

Rem patched it for you.Not the best.But others had custody of that rifle after it left Remington.

Update,I looked again. Somehow,there is another part to this story.Initial pic,before going to Rem,the other lands look washed out.

The edge chamfer looks machine done,concentric,and undamaged.

The damage is not spaced uniform,like power feed.The track of the damage is not in line with the linear traver of any tool rifling or boring.

The damage only crosses one land.It did not travel around the bore,as any broken machine cutter would.

It almost looks like a renegade dremel skittered...but not really.Those usually get traction and would have deflected.I don't think that's it.It also looks more like deformation than cut.

It looks like something freak,like someone working on a ladder over the rifle rack dropped his drill motor,or someone put a screw through a crate in the wrong place.It looks like the muzzle got hung on the head of a drywall screw.
If a borescope says the rest of the barrelis good,I'd cut it an inch or inch and a half

The more I look at it,the more it looks like the muzzle was pressed against a board and someone drove a screw into it. A small screw.The threads tracked down that land.You can see puckered up displaced metal at the edge of each mark,like a crater rim.
How or why that happens? No clue.

I had a horrible experience pulling the rear main seal out of a5.0 liter Ford V-8
Its done by driving a sheet metal screw into the seal and using the screw to pull the seal.I left a mark like that in my crankshaft.I put aJiffy -Sleeve over it.Still running.

Last edited by HiBC; January 12, 2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old January 12, 2017, 08:16 AM   #33
jhinalabama

Thank you for your analysis HIBC its funny we have a similar thought process about what happen. The store did not bore site or mount a scope for me. That's not to say something didn't happen to it at the store. I'm going to shoot it. I'll post results. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old January 12, 2017, 02:03 PM   #34
Snyper

Quote:
I guess I am. Because I figured those defects are why the rifle would not group well. I have not shot it since I got it back. I just figured having one land ground off at the muzzle would not work out. I'm going to shot it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
I highly doubt they will have any effect on accuracy.
There are too many other variables involved in "grouping well".

A few tiny marks in the barrel that require magnification to be seen aren't one of those variables.
Old January 12, 2017, 05:07 PM   #35
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I guess I am.
Well, I guess you're not. C'mon, it's a rifle purchased brand new! Why in the world would anyone think the defect in question is in any way acceptable; and I don't care if it's accurate with the ragged crown or not. Maybe I'm just expecting too much; maybe we all should just accept shoddy workmanship and blame ourselves for not being diligent enough to go over a new rifle with a magnifying glass before we pay our hard-earned money. Or maybe the lack of quality control and poor customer service is why some companies are having a hard time surviving...
Old January 12, 2017, 05:17 PM   #36
shootbrownelk

I had a new Remington 700 in .375 H&H. I got mine with a horribly out of round barrel. It took Remington over 6 months to remedy the situation. They sent me a new Rifle. It took 6 months to do that? They said send it back and we'll rebarrel. Well, they didn't. Never again.
Old January 12, 2017, 09:39 PM   #37
tobnpr

When I saw your earlier response (before seeing the last one) saying you got it back and Rem said they "honed" the barrel and "fixed" it, I was incredulous.

Based on your original pic, that damage to the land was NOT REPAIRABLE.
No how. No way. Not without shortening the barrel to cut away the affected section.

It is irrelevant whether it affects accuracy (and I guarantee it does...), it is a major manufacturing defect.

New gun, Demand a new barrel You could accept at your discretion a cut back/recrown- but that's the only acceptable repair.

I am not just surprised, but dismayed that they would take the position that they "fixed" a defect that cannot be fixed.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 12, 2017, 09:45 PM   #38
jhinalabama

Well I got to the range and shot it. The rifle groups much to my surprise. It shot sub moa @ 100yd, my best group was .45" with three shots. I shot 10 three shot groups, the worst was 1.25" I am not happy with the way the muzzle looks but at least it will shoot.
Old January 12, 2017, 09:54 PM   #39
jhinalabama

tobnpr I agree with you 100% and I am going to contact them. I just don't have any faith that they will do anything to right there defect/my problem.
Old January 13, 2017, 05:28 AM   #40
Snyper

Quote:
Well I got to the range and shot it. The rifle groups much to my surprise. It shot sub moa @ 100yd, my best group was .45" with three shots. I shot 10 three shot groups, the worst was 1.25"
I am not happy with the way the muzzle looks but at least it will shoot.
Send it back and demand a new barrel, but don't be upset if it looks better but doesn't shoot as well with a prettier barrel.

Sub-moa with a new rifle is a great start even if your magnifying glass shows some minor defect that may or may not have happened at the factory.
Old January 13, 2017, 08:30 AM   #41
tobnpr

^^
New rifle. One of the lands was completely gouged away for a substantial distance from the muzzle. As I look at the latest pics, all three I see are damaged. Might have missed that in the first round. But there should be a crisp (but not sharp) transition from the lands to the crown. That sure isn't the case, here.

How would you comport that could happen between being shipped from the factory, and his taking possession?

OP:

Groups ranging from half an inch, to one and a half- is not accuracy.

It is inconsistency- which equals inaccuracy. Whether that's shooter error, ammunition, the barrel, the stock fit- or any combination of the above is impossible to say at this point. But forget three shot groups even exist (five minimum)- and there needs to be consistency for a rifle to be considered "accurate". Now, if you said it consistently put five shots into 3/4" all day long I'd say you'd be a fool to mess with it...but that's not the case here.

You may be out of luck with Rem from other stories I've heard. If so, suggest you rule out all the other potential sources of the inconsistency- especially ammo. You need good stuff if shooting factory, like FGMM. If it's still not shooting consistently, a local smith could cut an inconsequential amount off the muzzle end and re-crown for a small amount of dough.

JMO, YMMV.
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Last edited by tobnpr; January 13, 2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old January 13, 2017, 08:39 AM   #42
big al hunter

I will start by saying you should still ask for more from Remington. But I disagree with others that the original damage was somehow done after it left the factory. It looks like a defect in the metal. Probably a small area of contamination in the metal that weakened the surface. It may have left the factory looking pristine. The first several bullets could have torn the weakened metal out a few bits at a time. If that defect had been deeper in the metal it never would have shown up. If you like how it shoots now, push for a cut and crown. Take a half inch off and it may shoot even better. How does the rest of the bore look now?
Old January 13, 2017, 08:51 AM   #43
jhinalabama

In my work I deal with metallurgy and that thought had crossed my mind. From what I can tell with my endo scope the rest of the barrel looks good. I think I'm going to take it to a local Gunsmith and get it cut and recrowned.
Old January 13, 2017, 09:50 AM   #44
big al hunter

That's what I would do. No more headache with Remlington.

Machine marks are regular and crisp most of the time, gouges from tools are sharp. That metal was torn out. Let us know how it improves with a trim and crown.
Old January 13, 2017, 11:38 AM   #45
50 shooter

I would ask the same questions that I posted in my post on the first page.

How did it leave the factory a SECOND time with the same problem? Who's doing their QC checks? -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- is wrong with Remington?

These are just a couple of questions that you should have for them, plus a bunch on how they plan on making it right! Why do you have to accept poor quality for your money? You paid for a rifle that should've been 100% from them, sent it back and get it back in almost the same condition.

Remington is being lazy and their continued lack of QC, customer service, whatever you want to call it is going to ruin them. Don't stop bothering them, if you do they'll just move along like nothing ever happened. Go on their website and post a negative review if you can. Then keep posting this on every gun website you can.

Big companies don't like negative attention, especially when it effects their bottom line.
No time for rearranging.
Old January 13, 2017, 05:27 PM   #46
jhinalabama

I did send Remington a email and told them how disappointed I am in there attempt at a repair. I will let you know what they say.

Last edited by jhinalabama; January 13, 2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old January 13, 2017, 06:21 PM   #47
Blindstitch

It sucks that you have to do that. Usually if something goes wrong for me I contact their website people, then try phone, and if that doesn't work everyone now has a facebook account so it's best to hit them up there.

Most good companies will fix their problems. Only failure using crossbow products. Rage Broadheads basically told me to go .... myself. I copied the email and sent it to Barnett/Plano the company that makes the crossbow and they sent me a free pack of broadheads. Barnett gets my vote on good service.

I also ride motorcycles and most companies if you're in an accident will replace your gear just to get actual product damage instead of simulated damage.

I had a helmet that took damage when an unknown item bounced out of the back of a truck and smashed the shield. I took pictures of the helmet and damage for them and although it was out of warranty I sent them the info about how I like their product and that it saved my wifes face. The helmet was out of warranty but they did send me a couple tshirts and other swag. So KBC helmets has my vote.

Long story short is if you run into bad and the company fights your on fixing it tell others. If a company does a good job for you tell even more people.
Old January 14, 2017, 10:06 AM   #48
Mr. Hill

I understand that you don't like the cosmetics of it.
But it shoots sub-moa, which a lot of pretty, shiney barrels can't do.

That gun is a shooter and a keeper. Don't worry about the appearance, be happy with the accuracy. JMHO, and good luck!
Old January 14, 2017, 12:09 PM   #49
HiBC

Generally,a manufacturer with a reputation to protect is well advised to invest in "customer satisfaction"
If they consider the invest a lot of marketing and advertising dollars to gain customers,investing a little in keeping them helps.
Especially with venues like this forum.
I don't know how that happened.I can't imagine a manufacturing process that would do that.
Its debatable (not certain) if that happened at Remington.But,it may have.
In any case,we give the customer the benefit of the doubt.He bought it new,it had the defect.
I don't know Remington's warranty.Most warrantees include "being free of defects in materials and workmanship"

I would expect Remington has a drawing with specs for a barrel.There will be a dimensional spec for the land and groove detail.
And there will be a surface finish (rms) spec.

The surfaces of that flaw would be non compliant dimensionally and in surface finish(assumption:I do not have the drawings)
I doubt the "repair" brings the barrel to "free of defects in materials and workmanship"
If you bought a new Harley Davidson and it had similar flaws in the tank or cases or exhaust,and Harley buffed them a bit and said"It goes down the road" I'm not sure that is good enough.
The customer should be able to resell his rifle for a given value.
If I looked in that barrel,used,I would be buying an action,not a rifle.
IMO,Remington should rebarrel it ,if there is nothing more to the story.

And my opinion is worth what I charged you for it....Nothing!!
Old January 15, 2017, 05:37 PM   #50
44 AMP
Staff

If you are getting .75" groups (and with what? a tailored reload for accuracy in that rifle? or just some regular load??)

It might be wiser to simply quit while you are ahead, and live with the blemishes. What's your response if you get more work done (cut & crown?) and then it doesn't shoot as well as it does right now??

You said it didn't shoot well, sent it back and now it shoots well (at least I would think so, under an inch is "shoots well" in my book). Remington did what they should have done, get it to shoot well.

I do agree it should look nice, to, but what are you paying for, really, if not for how it shoots?, perhaps some kind of art that you only look at is a better use of your money.

I can understand how this experience could make you avoid future Remingtons, sadly "big green" isn't what they once were.

From here, I'd say that while Remington didn't make you happy, you didn't get screwed. it does shoot better, right?