The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
freonr22

ok genius types Swaging on a Lnl ap

I have a lock and load, ap, Im just beginning reloading (since January) I have a case feeder, I ordered up a ch4d.com press mounted swager, not realizing its setup for shell holders, not shell plates finacially times have changed and I know I should get a super swager, and from my other thread a couple real nice calgunners have offered my the use of their equipment! I have approx 4k rounds mostly lc crimped, and it seems a shame to not utilize what I have. any thoughts on taking a shell plate and trying to modify it for use with a shell holder?? I cant picture doing 4k rounds one @ a time on a single stage, or even on a ss (although ive never used one.
Primer Pocket Swager & Priming Tool

Our ?ALL STEEL? Swager & Priming Tool can be used in any reloading tool. The Swager will remove the crimp from any military case. Both of these items come complete for large and small primers. The swage punches are made from steel and hardened, so there is nothing to ever wear out. We believe there is no tool that is quicker or easier to use on the market today !

Part # Description Price
419000 Primer Pocket Swager & Priming Tool $ 29.75
419001 Primer Pocket Swager $ 21.17
419002 Priming Tool $ 18.68

419000.gif
Old August 10, 2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

For what you've got in it, pop over to ebay and see if you can get the original type (not breechlock) Challenger press they had a few minutes ago for just under $20? Or pop over to your local gun show and find a well-used one and offer $15 for it and use that. If you have a lot of other chores for a single-stage press (separate decapping, bullet pulling, Lee hardness tester for cast alloy, Lee cast bullet sizer, Lee collet die sizing, separate neck flaring, test loads you don't want to set the whole progressive up for, etc.) then you may want to invest in something more? I love the Lee Classic Cast for that stuff. Overkill power whenever you need it. I got it on sale new at Midway for something under $60 back when they were new. They currently have a clearance sale on them fro about $77. Not sure why they are clearing them out? Used ought to be even less, if you can find one someone doesn't want to keep for some reason?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle