The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2014, 02:23 PM   #1
stubbicatt

Stainless steel pins dry?

Anybody ever tried to tumble brass with stainless pins while dry? Been contemplating changing over but not so enthused with water in my cases, drying them etc.

Thought I'd ask.
Old December 27, 2014, 02:54 PM   #2
9MMand223only

Yeah, I tried it, it doesn't work.

You need some sort of de-greaser/soap in there for it to be effective.

After you tumble in wet, an easy an effective drying method is to place in a bucket, then let a blow dryer on high blow from edge of bucket for 5 minutes.

works like a charm
Old December 27, 2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The presence of water and surfactants acts as a cutting lube does when drilling or as a honing oil does when sharpening. Without it the carbon is harder to break loose. Without it bullet lube and the soluble waste products of powder combustion don't dissolve. Without it loosened particles are not suspended away from the surface of the brass, so they end up falling together with the pins and cushioning their impact with the brass. You wind up scuffing the surface of the fouling more than cleaning.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 27, 2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Great post as always Unclenick. I knew it doesn't work. Now I know why.

Drying has never been an issue for me, in my dry climate. I just spread them out on an old towel for a couple days, and then they're bone dry.

(This thread is starting to look familiar lol. I think there's another going right now that's very similar.)
Old December 27, 2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Clark

high speed Thumbler Model B.
5 pounds of stainless steel media [ round rods .041" dia, .255" long]
Add 200 pieces of rifle brass
Fill to the top with hot water
Agitate by hand to get bubbles out
Fill to the top with hot water
Add 1 tablespoon of Dawn liquid dishwashing detergent
Add 1 teaspoon of Lemon Shine powder
Tumble for 3 hours with the machine resting on 4" of foam rubber to keep noise down.
Drain the dirty water
Add clean water
Agitate by hand
Drain the semi dirty water
Dump contents into a large open container
Shake the water and media out of each case
Put the brass one deep on paper towels and allow to dry overnight.
Check that a meniscus of water does not exist on the flash hole.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 27, 2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Gster

The longest I've tumbled brass in pins with water,citric acid and Dawn dishsoap is 1 1/2 hrs. and they look brand new. I can't imagine getting them any cleaner. Then 45 mins. in the dehydrator and they are ready to size.
Old December 28, 2014, 01:32 PM   #7
zplinker

The .041" pins do fine, but if you buy the .047" pins you won't find any flash holes with 2 pins stuck in them. By far the best cleaning system I've come across, and drying is a very minor problem.
Old December 29, 2014, 04:17 AM   #8
hartcreek

I used to deprime my brass and then wet tumble using laundry soap in a thumbler rotary tumbler. Didnt use no stainless steel pins and it worked just fine.

I would rinse the brass in the thumble drums and once rinsed dump them out on a cookie sheet in the oven at 220 till the brass was dry.
Old December 30, 2014, 09:10 AM   #9
stubbicatt

Thanks guys. More grist for the mill so to speak.
Old December 30, 2014, 10:52 AM   #10
jmorris

I built a tumbler put of an old gear motor and a 100lb chlorine bucket, actually two. One connected to the motor and another that slides inside it that holds the brass.

15 lb media
3 gallons of water
4 T dawn soap
1t lemishine
3000 or so cases
1 hr tumbling

2.5 beers in the Texas sun and they are not only dry but too hot to hold.

Old December 31, 2014, 07:10 PM   #11
Smoke & Recoil

SOBER-UP !

Has anyone used these stainless pins with cases that
were fired using black powder ? (results)
Old December 31, 2014, 07:38 PM   #12
straight-shooter

I put the brass in a mesh laundry bag and hang it over the door in the dryer and close the door on it and run on medium heat for 40 minutes. Dry as a bone and ready to process.
Old January 1, 2015, 12:34 AM   #13
Clark

jmorris,
I have a Dust Deputy front end on my shop vac.
It is great to see the world has found uses for one 5 gal bucket getting stuck inside another
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 1, 2015, 09:53 AM   #14
zplinker

Stainless steel pins clean up black powder cartridges like magic.
Old January 4, 2015, 02:34 PM   #15
mr.snakeman

Has anyone tried stainless media in a regular Lyman-type tumbler instead of corn cobs or walnut shells or would the extra weight of the metal media and liquids overload the motor to the degree of nonfunctioning? Any thoughts?
Old January 5, 2015, 12:22 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

mr.snakeman,

The pins only work well with liquid solutions, as mentioned earlier in the thread, and vibratory cleaners sold for handloading are not rated for liquid media. They're not powerful enough for the weight. There are industrial vibratory cleaners and polisher for which it may work, like a Vibradyne, but you are looking at a much more expensive machine, then. The rotary tumblers rated for liquid media are more economical.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 5, 2015, 04:40 PM   #17
Smoke & Recoil

Okay folks, I just received my stainless steel pins from Guntap out of
Texas. These people ship fast, I ordered January 1st and received them
here in Michigan already.

Last edited by Smoke & Recoil; January 5, 2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old January 5, 2015, 11:27 PM   #18
chiefr

I shoot a number of different BP carts and can tell you SS pins are like a miracle. Brass as new as if it came from a factory box.
Tumbling never came close.
Every time I go to a BP shoot or take to the range, I bring a plastic milk jug 1/2 filled with water and a teaspoon of Dawn and let them presoak first.
Old January 6, 2015, 01:50 AM   #19
mr.snakeman

Unclenick: thanks for your reply, pretty much what I thought as well, just nice to get conformation.
Old January 6, 2015, 10:01 AM   #20
Magnum Wheel Man

one comment about wet tumbling black powder cases... I've found that one "normal" tumbling gets me clean cases but not a nice yellow gold color... more a dull "coppery" color... with a full water change & rinse & fresh chemicals, I can usually get nice yellow brass again with a 2nd tumbling...

I've also noticed that time is relative to the machine ( likely the RPM, & distance between the flat sides, or how efficient the agitation is ) I'm currently using an old worn out RCBS Sidewinder, & while it works OK for the stainless pins, & I've wet tumbled 10's of thousands of cases, in the last couple years, & after I got the machine 10-15 years old from my FIL... I often don't get completely clean primer pockets without running between 10-12 hours... & there are many members that say what they are using gets everything clean & shiny in 1.5 hours... I have no reason to doubt that they know what clean is... so the OP is likely best off buying a tumber specifically built for wet tumbling...

I've seen several built from old commercial printers & such that seem to work well...

but if I were buying one ( & I'll be replacing the old Sidewinder in the next couple months ) it'll likely be either the Thumler or the new Frankford Arsenal...

BTW... I've mentioned the pins before, & that is great advice on checking the pin diameter... & also buy magnetic stainless... I got my pins off E-Bay a couple years ago, my pins are not magnetic ( so spilled or the occasional dropped pin is difficult to pick up ) mine are also the smaller diameter, & I often get 2 pins stuck in a flash hole... in fact WW case of the smaller pistol variety often get as many as 30-40% of the cases with 2 pins stuck...

so doing your research & buying the right stuff the 1st time, can save a lot of headaches
Old January 6, 2015, 10:55 AM   #21
zplinker

I got my ss .047" pins from Pellets, LLC. First time, I got the .041", and struggled with them for a few years. When I ordered the .047" pins, they would no longer take a 5# order, said 'it had gotten too crazy', so I checked with a few friends, and ordered 30#. And yes, be sure to get magnetic! Like loading shotshells, sooner than later, some pellets or pins are going to be on the floor.

How clean is clean? It is mostly a function of how many and how dirty the brass is to start with. Pistol brass, run for 4 hours, should come out cleaner and shinier than new. Only time I ever had a problem was when I didn't have enough Dawn soap in the mix. Those came out with a dull look, like the soap didn't suspend the crud. Just don't overload the rig and it will do wonders.

RCBS Sidewinders? I've worn out 4 of them, and wish I'd have gotten on board the Thumblers tumblers many dollars ago!
Old January 6, 2015, 04:39 PM   #22
Smoke & Recoil

This tumbler looks interesting... (opinions ?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-gallon-Bra...item3cea50fbcf