The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 26, 2014, 11:28 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

New Muzzle Loading Club (Wahatoya Muzzle Loaders)

In Las Animas County, Colorado, Santa Fe Trail Muzzle Loaders will be forming as a new club at the Prator Range. It is located 6 miles outside of Trinidad, CO. We expect to draw members mainly from Las Animas County, Huerfano County and Raton, New Mexico.

Meeting will be at 10 a.m. on Saturday, August 23, 2014. Contact Prator Range for more information.

Prator Range
42013 County Road 24.6
Trinidad, CO 81082
719-680-7236
Old July 26, 2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Pahoo

Aways good to hear !!!

Quote:
Meeting will be at 10 a.m. on Saturday, August 23, 2014. Contact Prator Range for more information.
Wishn I could be thar as I sorely mis dem days. What are you guys going to name your club or yourselves .. ?? ...

Be Safe !!!
Old July 26, 2014, 07:59 PM   #3
FrontierGander

any info on fee's and ideas on the kinds of shoots,rules?
Old July 26, 2014, 08:05 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Prator Range is named after Bill Prator, a machinist who attend Trinidad State when P. O. Ackley was starting up the gunsmithing school. Bill Prator spent thirty years as a gunsmithing instructor there until he retired. The range was named in his honor.

We (meaning myself, the range master and the senior instructor at the gunsmithing school) decided on the tentative name, Santa Fe Trail Muzzle Loaders because it is area neutral and will carry a broader appeal; especially to the folks down in Raton (several already expressed interest) and those around Raton. If we were to call it Trindad Muzzle Loaders or Las Animas or Southern Colorado, that would be too area specific and we wanted a name with a broader appeal.
Old August 21, 2014, 07:01 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Santa Fe Trail Muzzle Loaders

It's this Saturday. If you show up, introduce yourself. I'll be helping with the organizing.
Old August 27, 2014, 11:05 PM   #6
FrontierGander

so what all happened? I was bear hunting when this took place.
Old August 28, 2014, 07:41 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Name changed to Waha To Yah (alternative name for Spanish Peaks). There's apparently plenty of Sante Fe this or that.

Groundwork laid for club organization. We're trying to draft the bylaws and become 501(c)(7) non-profit. That way we can get a taxpayer ID # and deposit our funds into a bank.

We're going to keep membership affordable, say $12 a year. Funds will go to buy targets, organize shoots and other expenses.

No one wants a stiff and formal club with strict attention to the rules. If we have a match, we can break it into categories so there is no unfair advantage given to equipment geeks. So you can have an aperture on your tang or even a scope (but you'll be in another classification and my not win a cookie). Membership will be open to folks whether they're NMLRA, NRA or not.
Old August 28, 2014, 10:12 AM   #8
Pahoo

What a great choice

Spanish Peaks
Gary, when you first posted this, Spanish-Peaks came to mind. Not original but very appropriate and right on the mark. .....

Those who have never seen them, would appreciate the sight and, they dominate the area. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 6, 2014, 05:06 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Wa Ha To Ya

OK, the above is the correct spelling. We met again today and discussed the bylaws. Changes were made and we finalize it in the next meeting (Sept. 20 at 10 a.m.). After the meeting, we're shooting our smokepoles, our Trappers (three of us are/were students and had to assemble Trappers) and revolvers.

We'll probably start shooting around 11 a.m. C'mon down if you're in the area.
Old September 8, 2014, 12:32 AM   #10
FrontierGander

well dang it! Can't you ever set it up AFTER hunting season? Just my luck.
Old September 10, 2014, 08:08 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Don't matter. We know we're up against hunting season but that's OK. These are just the organizational meetings. We've finalized our bylaws and will vote on them on Saturday, Sept. 20 at 10 a.m. We'll probably vote for interim directors and officers, collect some ducats ($12 per person/$17 family). Fees are low because we want to make it affordable. This is exclusive of range fees ($5/6 depending on status or $40 annual).

After the meeting, we're going to do some black powder shooting. I may haul out my beer can mortar to start our shoot.

As membership fills up, we're going to organize things that don't conflict with hunting season.