The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2012, 08:14 AM   #26
Ca Lunker

Looking good

Looks like you have plenty of work space there. Just need to add a little storage. Good job.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:58 AM   #27
Sbowling79

Thanks for all the help. I will be adding some storage. There is a space in the far left corner of the room that I will build some shelving in. I have also thought about putting peg board on the walls. If the floor will dry today I will separate the top and bottom of my snap-on box that's in the garage and move the top down there so I can keep tools and stuff organized and put away.

As far as calipers go I have a nice set of them in my tool box at work. The brand name is Fowler. They are digital. Not sure if they are precise enough for reloading. I will bring them home and try them out.

For manuals I am doing a little online shopping today for the Lyman 49th and Lee modern reloading.

Going to try to get my grandpa to help me load my first batch. I am going to load some .38 to start with and my Dad agreed to let me shoot them thru his Blackhawk. Cylinder walls on it are about 30 times thicker than my model 19 Smith.

Yes it is definately green but I wanted a bright color that will keep my happy and energetic for all the hours that will be spent down there. Plus I like green.

I also need to get a tumbler. Any recommendations?
Old March 4, 2012, 11:36 AM   #28
m&p45acp10+1

I can say for a tumbler I would advise not to get the Harbor Freight offering. I have one that was given to me. It is powerful. In fact so powerful that it stripped the threads out on the stem screw where the lid screws on. So it now sligs media when I use it. (Though I use it outside.) Thier sonic clenaers work just as good as anyone elses.

If it is for postol brass you do not have to clean it if it is not super dirty, or has any debris on it. I used to just wash cases that super cruddy range pick up. I used a Gatorade bottle with dish water, and shot of vinegar. I then rinsed them real good, then laid them on a towell to dry over night. If it was hot in the summer I would put them outside in the sun.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:14 PM   #29
Sbowling79

Nearing the end now

I got my manuals ordered today, Got my toolbox moved down here. Was hoping to use it to store all my reloading tools but I ended up filling it up with some basic hand tools that I like to have around while working on things. Moved an old book case in that I built many years ago. Probably paint it in the next day or two. Still kicking around the idea of just building a nice shelf in that corner. I will wait and get loading and just see what I need.

Found some powder I bought a few years ago when me and a buddy were doing some experimenting. Played around with my powder measure and scale just to get the feel for it. Really couldn't figure out how to read the measure but I was eventually able to find 4 grains by using the scale. It put it out consistently. I'm sure the manuals will explain all that. I will throw some pics up just to keep you entertained. I also have to put on one more coat of paint. Thanks for all the help, tips and advice. It really helps.

Old March 4, 2012, 10:01 PM   #30
whitedogone

Just add some blacklights and a couple of posters, man. ....WOW