The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 4, 2011, 02:09 PM   #1
10mm4ever

Added two to the fold this weekend.

After quite a bit of research, I finally decided it was time to add a nice revolver to the fold. Decided to wait for the gunshow, since I made up my mind that I wanted either a pre-lock, 4inch K frame 66 or pre-lock 4 inch 686 and knew I'd have a good chance of having several to pick from. Long story short, I finally found a pristine 4 inch M66 with original box and papers and after a bit of haggling, walked away with it for 450. There were at least a dozen there, but none as nice as this! My second "score" was unexpected and happened as I was on my way out and it was closing time. I picked up an older, like new Taurus s/s 608 with 6.5 in barrel for cheap. This thing is HEAVY and should handle the hottest magnums with easy to manage recoil. While the lockup and trigger arent quite as great as the S&W, I'm still impressed with the quality for what I have in it. I kind of like the porting and the fact that it's rollmarked, not "laser etched".

Last edited by 10mm4ever; October 5, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old October 4, 2011, 02:57 PM   #2
BarryLee

I have a M-66 and it is truly one of my favorite guns small enough to carry and large enough to have an “impact”.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 4, 2011, 03:07 PM   #3
2damnold4this

Congrats. The S&W 66 has been one of my favorites.
Old October 4, 2011, 03:12 PM   #4
10mm4ever

I really like the K frame Smith 357's, that's for sure! They seem like an excellent balance of weight, size and power. My thoughts have already turned to an M19 "Combat magnum" as my next Smith. I'm not so fond of the newer Smiths with their laser etching, bead blasted finish and lawyer locks however.

Last edited by 10mm4ever; October 4, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old October 4, 2011, 07:36 PM   #5
tekarra

Well done, the 66 is a fine revolver.
Old October 4, 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I finally found a pristine 4 inch M66 with original box and papers and after a bit of haggling, walked away with it for 450.
Not a half-bad price on a dandy gun.
Old October 5, 2011, 08:57 AM   #7
bossman

Nice find on that S&W model 66. Don't see many around here at all. I've been hoping to find something like that local but I may have to go on line to get one.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.