The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 25, 2008, 07:51 AM   #1
roy reali

Game Advice

I applied for an antelope tag for next fall. I hope I get one. If I do, it will be the first time I've ever hunted for pronghorn.

While I have been exploring this the wilderness around here I have run across them several times. They seem to be curious creatures. I'll be driving around the desert and spot a herd a few hundred yards away. They all seem to just stand around and stare at me.

I would like any feedback from anyone who has ever hunted these animals. If you have any tricks that may increase my odds I would also appreciate that. From what I understand the cartridge used doesn't need the word magnum in the name. I have a rifle in .280 Remington, I assume that would work.

So, pronghorn hunters, what do I need to know about these creatures?
Old March 25, 2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, antelope seem to have this thing about standing along a highway, counting cars. Unconcerned.

It's when you stop and get out that you learn how quick they can practice not being there.

A .280 is plenty good. Anything from .243 on to the '06 will do. Antelope aren't really very big. The main thing is to get used to longer shots. And either use a laser range-finder or work on being able to judge distance.

In open country, good binocs help you locate and assess a group. Then, use terrain and the wind to stay out of sight and scent as you work in toward shooting range.

And pray.
Old March 25, 2008, 10:41 AM   #3
taylorce1

Just take your time when stalking Pronghorn. Remember the are active during the day so you have all day to hunt them. Move slow and like Art said uses everything you can to your advantage (even prayer). They see much better than you do so when you spot them they have probably already seen you as well, unless a buck is really interested in a doe and has his blinders on.
Old March 25, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4
roy reali

A Few More Questions

I am a reloader. Do you think Ballistic Tips would work on them? My rifle seems to like those bullets.

Also, how is antelope meat? How does it compare to other game?
Old March 25, 2008, 02:00 PM   #5
taylorce1

Nosler BT will work just fine on a speed goat, don't worry about it. The meat tastes ok it isn't my favorite I prefer elk. It does make good sausage, and the back straps make decent steaks. Last couple I shot I've ground all but the back straps and made chili, spagetti, and meat loaf with. The steaks I'll either grill or make fajitas or stew with. Just don't shoot one that has been run a lot as it will taint the meat.
Old March 25, 2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Jack O'Conner

Antelope ususlally cross fences single file at same exact spot. They go under the fence. No kidding.

Find a well used fence crossing and make a little ground blind about 150 yards away. Plan on a dress rehearsal about a week before season opener.

If you can't make a blind from sage or juniper try this old trick: make a cow silouette from heavy cardboard reinforced and fastened to 1 X 6. Paint it black and sit behind it wearing black clothes. Watch where you sit down - plenty of sharp plants in antelope country!

Skin the animal right away. Don't delay. The meat tastes sour if not cooled quickly.

Buy a couple rolls of freezer wrap and tape. Get Sam Fadala's book on Wild Game Cookery. Enjoy!

Jack