The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 06:12 PM   #26
Skans

Quote:
Hey Skans, I was referring to the OP who has now purchased both the Hi Point and the Jiminez. He has plopped down maybe $250 or more on two weapons and has arguably gone from bad to worse
Ok, you do make a good point. For $250 I can find a number of better guns than the either of those. Examples:

Makarov 9mm
Kel Tec P11
Even some decent 38 special revolvers can be found for that price.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:17 PM   #27
Skans

Ok, no one is up to the challenge of answering the question I asked: "For those of us who have shot a J-22, what is the WORST thing about them?"

I'm going to give y'all the answer. The first time you shoot one, most people (like me) tend to grip it a bit too high; the slide come back and nicks you right in the web of your hand. OUCH! That's how you can tell if anyone has actually fired a number of rounds through one - it's not something you tend to forget!.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:28 PM   #28
TheNocturnus

Quote:
Ok, no one is up to the challenge of answering the question I asked: "For those of us who have shot a J-22, what is the WORST thing about them?"

I'm going to give y'all the answer. The first time you shoot one, most people (like me) tend to grip it a bit too high; the slide come back and nicks you right in the web of your hand. OUCH! That's how you can tell if anyone has actually fired a number of rounds through one - it's not something you tend to forget!.
I answered you twice and you did not respond. I have owned one and never got bit by it. My main problem was that it was an unreliable POS.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 29, 2013, 06:33 PM   #29
Skans

Quote:
I answered you twice and you did not respond. I have owned one and never got bit by it. My main problem was that it was an unreliable POS.
Sorry about that - I went back to read your posts. You must have had a newer one since you mentioned chamber indicator. Mine doesn't have one; and mine has a metal (not plastic) safety switch. Perhaps they fixed the slide-bite - it's happened to me a number of times.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:34 PM   #30
jason_iowa

I would rather pay a premium and get a premium product. I have bought cheaper stuff and almost always regretted it.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:41 PM   #31
Impreza

They are made of zinc alloy which makes them heavy and cheap...I'm sure it shoots fine but it's still junk. I had a Jennings 9mm years ago and it was a tank..A round put a big dent on the feed ramp...Zinc alloy is heavy but it is also soft..Garbage!

I'd skip the high point as well...I think Kel-tec is about as budget you should go IMO.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:07 AM   #32
Skans

The Jennings / Lorcin 9mm's and .380's are not the same thing as the J-22. A Zamak gun can easily handle .22LR no problem. The bigger guns are junk for several reasons, one being that the extractors were prone to breaking frequently, magazine problems, etc.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:48 PM   #33
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
One more thing, if the J-22 was that bad, it would have faded from production many years ago. As it is, it has been in production in one form or another about as long as the Glock 17 and Beretta 92. Contrarily, the Rogak was not in production for very long.
But Glock and Beretta continue to do business under the same name. The company behind the Jiminez has gone out of business and reorganized under new names so many times you need a telephone book to keep track of the different names.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:01 PM   #34
Skans

The J-22 was an $80 gun. Most of them work; mine works. Parts are available if it breaks. I know I wish it were made of titanium rather than Zamak, had a 2-stage adjustable trigger, forward serrations on the slide, a beavertail, a decocker and a ported target barrel. But, then I'd have a hard time fitting it in my pocket.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:50 PM   #35
Jimboski

Never fired one, but no thanks. If you like it, go for it. Personally I try to get weapons that are/would be considered for military/LEO use. I don't see the Jimenez winning any contract bids anytime soon. But hey, whatever works for you!

Glock 26 Gen3
Beretta 96D FS
Mossberg Maverick 88 (customized)
I.O. inc. AK-47 (customized) (I know), It was a birthday gift from the wife so I won't sell it, but it runs great!

Last edited by Jimboski; January 30, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:09 PM   #36
9mm

Quote:
why such dislike for jimenez.
Because you can't rent them at the gun range.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:47 PM   #37
rcolgin

Wuz a surfin an saw this J-22 thread...
Well I went to the safe and got mine out. Had been at least 15 years since I'd fired it ;so disassembled, cleaned and lubed...reassembled . Loaded the magazine with mini-mags .
Stepped out on the back deck (live in tha country)Inserted the mag and pulled the slide ...an thats when the first malfunction occured... FAILURE TO LOAD. The round barely started to chamber.
I "helped" the round into the chamber...pulled the trigger...bang...bang..then 'nother FTL..."helped it"...bang ,bang..FTL ..HELPED IT..bang .bang. What a POS !!
I really envy y'all that have a J-22 that works...for even six consecutive shots . (Now I know why I hadn't fired it ii 15 years !!)
Old February 1, 2013, 04:55 PM   #38
sigshepardo

Bad Reputation

I think they buillt themselves a bad reptuation early on. Poor quality control and lots of jams. But they may be better now. General rule in firearms; you get what you pay for. Thats why I carry a $1000 Browning Hi-Power.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:53 AM   #39
Skans

If the little J-22 doesn't freed, you probably need to replace the recoil spring. We're talking about a gun that is over 15 years old! Rhorbaugh requires that you replace their recoil springs after 200-300 rounds fired. the quick fix is to stretch the recoil spring out a bit, replace it and see if that fixes the problem. if it does, then just buy a new recoil spring. The other issue could be that the magazine isn't seated correctly - another common problem wit the J-22.

The J-22 is a very simple gun. I believe that there are some bad J-22's out there, but all of them requirs some maintenance and common sense. If you had a Glock that wasn't feeding correctly most would agree - it's either a weak spring or the magazine (most likely an aftermarket magazine without steel feed lips in the case of Glock.)
Old February 4, 2013, 11:19 PM   #40
kozak6

A friend of mine had a Bryco 9mm. It's the same company, just a few lawsuits ago.

It was accurate, and the first round would fire every time. Other than that, it might malfunction on all the other rounds in the magazine, with most of them in different ways.

He owned it for about a week.