The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Buford_Tannen

Milwaukee County Sheriff PSA - Get a Gun and Get Trained

All

Follow the link attached to a Public Service Announcement (PSA) by Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke. (Takes a bit to start so give it a few seconds.) About to go national.

News Story
http://www.wisn.com/news/south-east-...m/-/index.html

Public Service Announcement
http://www.wisn.com/blob/view/-/1828...-Document.null

Last edited by Buford_Tannen; January 25, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2
lcpiper

All he is doing is suggesting that people take an active responsibility in protecting themselves within the limits of the law.

For decades people in this country have tried to force a dream world on us where the law will protect you and you shouldn't need, no, shouldn't be able, no, shouldn't be allowed to protect yourself.

They need a new dream
Old January 26, 2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

I just saw this on CNN and thought the message was great.

Apparently, the County is trying to force 27 deputy layoffs. http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...136979098.html

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; January 26, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Alabama Shooter

This man speaks the truth. It is quite rare to see an urban county sheriff taking the position of advocating firearms for self defense.

The odds of you becoming a victim of a violent crime in Milwaukee in any give year is 1%. This is incredibly high.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Willie Sutton

MY Sherriff

MY County

Me =

For once in my life I am among friends.

This man speaks the truth. It is quite rare to see an urban county sheriff taking the position of advocating firearms for self defense.

Milwaukee County is a funny mix of city (a little bit geographically) and rural areas (the majority of the geographical area). It's a tiny model of the broader USA. Corn Fields and Inner City, cheek to jowl. It's a great place to live and work, and to exercise your rights. I am glad I moved here.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; January 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:46 PM   #6
RockSmoot

Hope it stays that way!
Old January 26, 2013, 07:06 PM   #7
pat701

The truth has been spoken.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:34 PM   #8
alex0535

The most sensible things I have ever heard from a police officer.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:36 PM   #9
shootniron

My local police chief did the same a couple of weeks before Christmas...I was kind of impressed with this.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Patriot86

I loved all of the reactions out there from Madison types who were all up in arms over this call to "vigilantism". I almost fall out of my chair when I hear stuff like that.

I would switch this guy for Tom Dart any day!

The thing is you are seeing this more and more in Urban communities where the wheels have/are falling off, where you do not have enough officers and crime is rising.

Chicago is not far from Detriot or Newark but the politicians will never ever admit it. Another few bad years, the tourists will stop coming, "White Flight" 2.0, Chicago will be right there.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Lordy123

Everyone here is making a pretty big deal about it. I have been suprised at a few people you had a positive opinion of it, despite themselves not owning firearms.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:29 AM   #12
bkenut

Sounds like common sense to me. It's your responsibility to protect your family..I would not leave that to someone else.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I loved all of the reactions out there from Madison types who were all up in arms over this call to "vigilantism".
Yeah, I never understand this. By and large, vigilantism is illegal, acting outside of the law and due process. Confusion seems to abound over the difference of being vigilant and being a vigilante.

Self defense as described by law is not vigilantism.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Patriot86

Quote:
Yeah, I never understand this. By and large, vigilantism is illegal, acting outside of the law and due process. Confusion seems to abound over the difference of being vigilant and being a vigilante.
Self defense as described by law is not vigilantism.
and you are starting to come to the conclusion that I have come to, some people, anti gunners included simply have a totally different world view.
To them, when you shoot an intruder that is Vigilantism. For the sake of society it would be better if you just let whatever is going to happen, happen and let the "good guy" cops stop it..or not than for you to take things into your own hands and defend yourself.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
some people, anti gunners included simply have a totally different world view.
The group goes beyond simple anti-gunners. There are plenty of anti-gunners who fully support full blow self defense, just not guns.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:33 PM   #16
Alabama Shooter

Now he is getting mocked by the mayor of Milwaukee.

Quote:
Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett lashed out at the ad. His office said in a statement: "Apparently Sheriff David Clarke is auditioning for the next Dirty Harry movie."
Quote:
"We can't be everywhere all the time. Sometimes we can't be there as fast as we'd like," he told Fox News. "Once the wolf is at the door ... 911 isn't going to help you, but there are some things that you can do."

The ad has generated sharp criticism from other area officials and anti-violence advocates. The president of the Milwaukee Deputy Sheriffs' Association, Roy Felber, said it sounds like a call to vigilantism.

"That doesn't sound too smart," Felber said. "People have the right to defend themselves, but they don't have the right to take the law into their own hands."
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2JKckSwGI

The critics are trying to evoke Zimmerman.

I guess the definition of vigilantism has totally been lost.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:36 PM   #17
Willie Sutton

^^^ I live in South Milwaukee.

My neighbors and friends are all greatly pleased with the ad. There has been absolutely nothing but positive comment from anyone I know here. Maybe I simply choose my friends wisely.

Not for nothing, but we all feel pretty safe around these parts, even at the all night gas station pumping our own. Seems that a goodly number of honest folk are carrying shootin' irons these days 'round town including old Willie. The benefit is rubbing off on those who choose not to.

Nobody here gives a rats ass about what the mayor thinks.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; January 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:18 AM   #18
Lordy123

Quote:
Nobody here gives a rats ass about what the mayor thinks.
Pretty much!
Old January 29, 2013, 10:17 AM   #19
Patriot86

@ Alabama: Invoking "Treyvon Martin" seems to be pretty common now for anti gunners. Basically in their minds it forces anyone not of color onto their back foot, because afterall white people who arm themselves must be doing so out of racist fears!

Disgusting clip featuring Chicagos Chief of Police about a month ago doing the same. Tune to 1:26 in the video

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videog...-control-issue
Old January 29, 2013, 10:33 AM   #20
EFMAN2K3

Hello all. I am pretty new here. Just my two cents. Good for Sheriff David Clarke. He is being honest with the people of Milwaukee. Hope it's contagious.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:53 AM   #21
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Basically in their minds it forces anyone not of color onto their back foot, because afterall white people who arm themselves must be doing so out of racist fears!
I hear you. The irony is not lost on me that the sheriff is not white either.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:27 PM   #22
Willie Sutton

^^ What he said. Minorities here are arming themsleves as fast as whites. They are not buying into the nonsense.

What we have transcends typical stereotypes. What we enjoy is a Black Sherriff of a mainly Urban County, who is not afraid to speak the truth.

He's speaking to a complete mix of people: Urban Minorities, Suburban Mothers, Rural "Classic John Deere Hat Wearing Gents", the lot. It's refreshing.

Of note is the fact that we are just over a year from being a Shall Issue state, as opposed to a "good luck getting a CCW" state. The old mantras "The blood will be running in the streets" were trotted out, and as expected didn't materialize. The bottom line is that even the antis are recognizing that... well... the actual fact is that things are safer now, and that "well.. they lied to me about that, are they lying to me about EBR's?" is not an unknown thought.

In the LGS we have the same exact mix of folks described above buying firearms and taking CCW classes. It's interesting to see an obviously limited budget black woman "of age" being shown a relatively inexpensive handgun for purchase standing next to well dressed businessmen looking at Kimbers. The funny thing is that in this paradigm, all are respectful and smiling at each other. The enthusiast helps the newcomer. People who would never have other cause to socialize are coming into contact with each other and are learning that we have more in common than we have as differences. We all want to be safe and secure, and to be able to protect our loved ones. It's a fine time to live here.

What a pleasure to have this Gentleman as my local CLEO. He's the anti-Obama.

Willie

Old January 29, 2013, 12:31 PM   #23
Patriot86

It would be nice if the Sheriff of Milwaukee County ran for Mayor of Milwaukee, or better yet a higher office?
He seems to be very Pro 2A, very well spoken on his positions and he seems to have the support of the people. Not to sound harsh but we need as many "Non" OFWG's as possible out there fighting for our rights, it helps break the media/anti gunners narritive of the armed and angry old white guy.

We need to have people of all races, religions, genders and ages front and center in this issue.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:56 AM   #24
Carry_24/7

This sheriff performed wonderfully against P. Morgan on CNN. I believe he's the man the NRA needs to court as a spokesman....and they need to do it ASAP.

I'm not sure if it would conflict with his current position, but he would do more good supporting 2A nationally that running one local LE organization.