The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2004, 01:44 PM   #1
hilblly

Waterfowlers...Anybody used Hevi-shot?

Hey all you waterfowlers out there.
I have a question for ya.
Has anyone out there used Hevi-shot for waterfowl, if so what's your opinion?
I reload my own steel and have considered doing the same with Hevi shot but I am wondering if the "sticker shock" is worth it?
Thanks in advance for any input
Mike
Old December 1, 2004, 04:18 PM   #2
sgnews

This year I switched over to all Hevi Shot. The stuff is great. I can remember the days of lead and how geese crumpled to copper plated BBs, Hevi #2 does the same thing. Sure it costs a ton, about $2 a shell for 12 3 1/2 or 10 ga. You just can't argue with how it kills.
I guess that if I were in Arkansas, shooting timber ducks, I'd take steel for the sheer number of shots fired. But I'm in Illinois, shooting over big water on public ground; the ducks and geese are almost never "in you face". $12 extra bucks to kill a limit, that I'll pay.
My advice, spend the $20 on a box and see for yourself, just don't shoot coots with it.
Good luck, shoot'em in the lips.
Old December 2, 2004, 01:10 AM   #3
Greybeard

Not a big waterfowl hunter here, but I am a believer in the Hevi-shot, which I think was originally recognized for best patterns/energy for turkey, I dropped another $17 this week for a box of 10 rounds to use this coming weekend pheasant hunting. The #4s are have given some awesome drops out of my 870 with modified choke. First pheasant my son ever shot a couple of years ago was with the stuff. A good 50 yards out, bird was dead-in-the-air, never even flopped when it hit the ground.

The odd part of the Hevi-shot is the shape(s). I discovered a few years back before it was available in 20 gauge. Took a few 12 gauge loads apart to load up fin 20 gauge for coyote load in combo gun. The stuff is not necessarily round. Egg shapes, tear drops, etc. Amazing though how it holds long-range patterns.
Old December 2, 2004, 03:12 PM   #4
cookhj

just use lead....they'll never know! j/k