The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 1, 1999, 11:41 PM   #1

I took an extra week off after getting back from Disneyland with the kids, and I'm having a ball shooting every day.
I took posession of my new love the day we returned, a 5 1/2" Ruger Redhawk in .357. That's right, a .357 Redhawk. I gotta tell ya, this thing is awesome, probably the most accurate pistol I've ever fired and that's saying a lot. I have no idea why Ruger quit making this caliber in the Redhawk as it seems to me that it is the "Ultimate" .357 Magnum. This is one massive .357, holding it next to my Model 19 makes me laugh myself silly.
I've been getting sub 2" groups at a hundred yards without even doing any load developement and using 158gr Lasercasts over 14grains of H110. I've got a keeper here. I intend to do some load testing and see how good this baby can get. Just wanted everyone to know how much fun I'm having, I'll be back out there tomorrow.

------------------
TJS
Old September 2, 1999, 05:22 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I bet the felt recoil would be about 1/3 to 1/2 of that of a Model 29... Shooting some wild Full House loads would be fun with that...
And less felt recoil means you can shoot FH loads longer with out fatigue.

I would try my hand at Priary Dogs with that gun...

------------------
"The rage is relentless... We need a movement with a quickness.
You are a witness of change and to counteract - We gotta take the power back!"

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac