The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2002, 12:45 PM   #1
Popsicle

lengthening an 870 express synthetic stock

I think I figured out my sometimes on, sometimes off shooting with my 870 express synthetics. The L.O.P. is too short. I just picked up an 870TC with a 15" L.O.P. and broke a 50 straight with it first time out. Also, I shoot my Browning pumps, which have a slightly longer L.O.P. better and with more consistency. Do any of you know of any ways to increase the pull on the factory stock? I have thought about buying an inexpensive slip on recoil pad (Pachmayr) from wal-mart to experiment with. It is a 1" pad, which would put my express L.O.P. at 15" the same as my trap gun. What do you guys think? Is this a viable solution? Thanks in advance!

Pat Brophy
Old September 14, 2002, 03:17 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

That would work like a charm. I've used them before - too bad someone dosen't make them in black.
Old September 15, 2002, 09:41 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A slide on is the cheapest approach, and may work very well.

Check with Pachmyer, they may have a fitted pad for the synthetic stock that's longer than standard, and may fit right in.

Or,I have some self adhesive neoprene that Wonderful Wife bought from a arts and crafts supplier. It's a sheet, and can be scissored and layered to the right length, then trimmed easily.
Of course, one covers the last layer with a thin scrap of leather like deerskin or goatskin.

S'funny, my TB was what convinced me that longer stocks are the way to go for me.
Old September 15, 2002, 03:22 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Just got back from Wal-Mart. They have the slip on pads in black - new item. About 15 bucks IIRC. HTH
Old September 15, 2002, 06:59 PM   #5
Popsicle

I just picked up the last black one Wal-Mart in my area had. Put it on my 16 ga. express and I like the way it feels. Heck, it doesn't even look bad. Also now when I look down the rib all I see is the bead, not the top of the rib and the bead. I hope my shooting improves with this modification. I want one for my 12 ga. express synthetic also, but all they have left is the brown colored pad. I guess I might have to learn patience... or just get the brown one and deal with it! Thanks!

Pat Brophy