The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 2, 2002, 01:35 AM   #1
Dfariswheel

870 Magazine Extension??

I need a Choate Parkerized magazine extension for my Remington 870 Police.
Anybody know where I can get one discounted?
Brownell's carry them at $41.00 and change plus shipping. Somebody on one of the boards mentioned getting them for $30 bucks.
Old March 2, 2002, 06:12 AM   #2
Guyon

I haven't heard anything about discounted extensions. But why order from Brownells when you can order direct from Choate for the same price? www.choatemachinetool.com For $41.55, you get the kit that includes the hi-vis follower and the barrel clamp.

I'd like to hear more about the $30 extension myself. The Tac-Stars run around $30, I think.
Old March 2, 2002, 05:38 PM   #3
george miller

tac star 8 shot extension

i have a tacstar 8 shot extension,its parkerizedill sell it if you want one-used in vg shape.email me if interested. 30 bucks.
Old March 3, 2002, 12:40 AM   #4
makarov

Just ordered an 18" barrel. Don't have the shotgun yet! What size extension would come to the end of the barrel or just short of it? (This is for an 870)
Old March 3, 2002, 01:13 AM   #5
Navy joe

Mak, I just picked up a police parkerized with the extension from the factory, clamp and such. What they list as a 7 shot extension goes 1/2" past the end of the barrel. What they really mean to say is 6+1, don't think I'm going to get 7 in there. Oh what a nice gun though!
Old March 3, 2002, 03:40 AM   #6
Dfariswheel

MAKEROV: You will need a 2 or 7 shot extension. Different suppliers list these differently. Either as ADDING 2 shots, or a TOTAL of 7 shots. A 2/7 extension will not stick out beyond the barrel UNLESS:...........

NAVY JOE: The reason Remington's extension sticks out beyond the barrel is it was originaly developed as a military item. It's designed to take a bayonet. The military version had a bayonet lock atteched to the bottom of the support bracket, and the loop on the bayonet fitted over the extended end of the magazine extension. They just never saw a reason to change it for police or civilian shooters.
Your extension is, as stated above, a 2/7 shot device, or 6 rounds in the tube and one in the chamber.

I FOUND A SOURCE OF CHEAP CHOATE EXTENSIONS. I'LL POST SEPERATELY SO EVERYBODY WILL SEE.
Old March 3, 2002, 04:08 AM   #7
Romulus

I could swear that Tapco has tacstar extensions for under thirty bucks. Also, Bushmaster has Choate extensions for around thirty bucks...

Worth a trip to their websites anyway...I got several parkerized Remington originals on AuctionArms for under twenty...a nice blued polished one for for twelve bucks on ebay...I would check out the web-based auction houses for good prices on these items

For what it's worth, the Remington originals are prettier, but their retaining nut really sucks, it's some kind of potmetal and doesn't really engage the detent. I wonder if George Stringer would be willing to turn that item...George?

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano