The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2007, 08:46 AM   #1
solocam

Benelli "Super Sport"

Hello everyone, I just purchased a new benelli super sport, I narrowed my decision down to the Benelli "Super Sport" and the Beretta "Extrema 2" The Beretta fit me pretty well, but the benelli fit me like a glove. I watched a video of Tim Bradley shooting the Extrema 2 and was very impressed with his shooting and how fast the gun cycled (I think 12 rounds in 1.73 seconds?) this had me thinking Beretta but after shouldering each gun the Benelli was no doubt going home with me, I am very happy with my decision, I cleaned the gun thoroughly and put 15 rounds through it to get a feel for it, this gun doesn't kick as hard as I thought it would, as light weight as the gun is I thought it would kick harder, the gun cycles very fast also I shot a couple 3 shot bursts (fast as I could pull the trigger) 3 shots sounded like 2, my wife argued with me that I had only shot twice I am really looking forward to getting out and shooting some clays with this gun. Anyone else on here have any experience with the "super Sport"?
Old June 12, 2007, 02:39 PM   #2
RUT

I don't have the Super Sport, but rather the wood stock version... the Sport ll. I had previously been an O/U shooter (still have them) but The Sport ll has become my primary sporting clays gun. I just seem to shoot better with it! I love the fact that it has so few moving parts, and is a breeze to clean. I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine! I'm now debating whether to pick up the 20 ga. version as well, so that tells you something.

Good luck,

RUT
Old June 13, 2007, 12:11 PM   #3
BigJimP

I have a super sport in a 30" barrel - bought it about 18 months ago - and I think it's a great gun. It shoots cleaner than a gas gun, is very quick to go back into battery, soft shooting - and although it looks different, I like the way it looks. Contrary to the manual - mine will easily cycle any shell, even 7/8 oz as long as it's at least 1200fps or about 3 dram. I find I can completely strip and clean it easily in 15 min (including taking the trigger group out ). For lube - I like break free on the action and for the screw in chokes.

I find the chokes on the crio barrels are a little tighter than most guns - so I use a CYL choke for skeet, a MOD for 16 - 20 yard trap, an IMOD for 21-24 trap, and Full beyond 24 yards in trap. I shoot an IC or Mod primarily in it for sporting clays.

I have put the optional comb pad on mine to raise it up so it's almost a paralell comb. Mann & Sons in Illinois is who I use for parts.

I use the gun as a "travel" gun - for sporting clays, etc. rather than ship an expensive gun on the airlines. I also shoot it on really wet days - when I don't want to subject a wooden stock gun to the elements. But it's a gun that is comfortable to shoot and easy to carry in the field - so while I wouldn't want my wife to know, I could get by with just one shotgun .....if I had to. Good luck with yours - and good shooting.