The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2000, 10:53 PM   #1
SPECTOR

whats that?
it sounds very cool , i will definitely have to go try one...

[This message has been edited by SPECTOR (edited February 01, 2000).]
Old January 31, 2000, 11:17 PM   #2
jcoyoung

A ghost ring is a hula-hoop like device used to snare paranormal entities.

Actually it kind of looks like a variation on the peep sight. Not sure if there are different types of ghost ring setups, but my Mossberg 590 front sight is like a huge front pistol sight. The rear sight is like a peep sight, but with a much larger hole (essentially a ring, hence the name). You pretty much put the top of the front sight in the middle of the ring. They are typically found on combat and home defense shotguns.

I'm not sure where the name comes from, but here is my guess:
When properly used (focus on target, top of front sight in middle of ring), the rear ring will be out of focus (because you are focusing on the target, right?). Since the ring is fuzzy in the sight picture, I would guess that it appears that is is there but isn't at the same time. Hence the name Ghost Ring.
I am only speculating on the reason for the name, so if anyone else knows, please post it.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" Excerpt from The Far Side
Old January 31, 2000, 11:24 PM   #3
SPECTOR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jcoyoung:
A ghost ring is a hula-hoop like device used to snare paranormal entities.

[/quote]

hope walmart is still open
thanks!!

Old February 1, 2000, 04:46 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

JCOYoung is correct about the ghost ring,a snappy name for a peep sight with a large aperture. BTW,it's great for slug hunting also. It's a fast sight to acquire when you need to be fast.

A standard peep can be used with the aperture disc removed.Most of my weapons so equipped have Williams sights, tho there's a Lyman ot two also.
Old February 1, 2000, 01:21 PM   #5
hickok45

"Ghost ring" has been defined adequately. All I wanted to add is that once you try one, you'll never go back to standard sights. I've had the SGT Traklok (sp) on two different 870's and absolutely loved it - enabled me to shoot those guns like a rifle out to about 100 yards.

Now I have a Ghost Ring on my Marlin GG (Ashley Outdoors), and I feel that I can hit anything I can see.

Try 'em!

Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966
Old February 1, 2000, 01:27 PM   #6
panzerfuehrer

I have always preferred peep sights. So last year I purchased a 590, and on the recommendation of one of my LEO colleagues, got it with ghost ring. Long story short, I love it, and all rounds go right where I want them, no matter what I'm flinging downrange.
I even shoot skeet with this piece, just ignore the sights entirely, LOL.
Old February 1, 2000, 03:39 PM   #7
Deliverer

I think they call it a "Ghost " ring because the recipient of the blast joins the crowd sought by "Ghost Busters"